BeautySkin Acne Lamp

Average price: $199.69

Brand: BeautySkin

Most helpful review

By Mom of 3 little ones, Florida on 12/25/2011

I gave it a 5 stars because even though the initial price is steep it sure beats Derm visit costs. And also because it gives you the benefits of the sun but without the risk of sun damage. Not sure if seed like whiteheads were from Beautyskin but I didn't have them before using this. It is just that I started trying other things too around the same time... like putting neem powder/manuka honey on my skin & drinking green tea. So like I said not sure where the little seed like white heads are coming from. It was not a cure all for me. I also cleaned up my diet (NO SUGAR!! No dairy & No gluten) & I am also trying to go to bed earlier. And I am also getting outside for more natural sunlight (not sunbathing or baking or anything). And I brought a toxic relationship to a closure. Im sure all those things helped me from going from mean painful red cysts (1 or 2/week) (+ a few smaller ones too) to little pimples (3 per week). Bottom Line: I LOVE MY BEAUTY SKIN box.

Pros:
  • It decreased pimples
  • No side effects
  • I went from Moderate Cystic acne to light acne
  • Can do it in the privacy of your own home...no trips to Derm.
Cons:
  • Have to sit still for 15 min/day
  • Ticker is loud & makes talking on phne tricky cuz people ask what that noise is
  • I saw an increase in seed like whiteheads on cheeks

224 out of 348 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

By on

Pros

• It decreased pimples
  • No side effects
  • I went from Moderate Cystic acne to light acne
  • Can do it in the privacy of your own home...no trips to Derm.

Cons

• Have to sit still for 15 min/day
  • I saw an increase in seed like whiteheads on cheeks
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 170

By on

As other reviewers have said, this regimen works, but I couldn't get into the routine.

I'm actually trying to sell mine because I really can't afford it as a periodic treatment, so if anyone else is interested, I have it listed on ebay at: [link removed]

Pros

• Works at resolving mild to moderate inflammatory acne
  • Cheaper than other combination blue-red light therapy options

Cons

• Must use regularly
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 299
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I credit this acne lamp with doing wonders for my skin. I have been using it for about a year, with a 4-5 month break inbetween when I went on antibiotics (bad idea - the pills didn't do anything - I should have stayed with this).

Whilst not the most user-friendly, especially if you're tired, using it for just 15 minutes a day has really made a difference to my skin. I started noticing results at around a month and best of all, there was no purging process. It was literally like all my active and dormant pimples dried up and never had the chance to see the light of day (excuse the pun).

For the last 4 months I have been using this in conjunction with Skinoren cream (see my review for that separately) and between these two I think I have finally found a regimen that works for me. I have struggled for years and tried so many antibiotics it's unreal.

I was one step away from roaccutane when I decided to throw caution to the wind and try this, having read a few reviews online. Luckily I found a second hand one on eBay for £50, although I would have paid much more as it is definitely worth it once you count up all the prescriptions, creams etc.

My doctor hadn't even heard of UV therapy when I broached the subject with him, but even he is impressed with my progress. I still get hormonal pimples but these are tiny and generally go away in a few days. Nothing like the big, painful lumps I used to have for weeks at a time.

I hope this review is helpful and if you're um-ing and ah-ing over whether or not to buy one, I would say go for it. Worse case scenario it doesn't work but at least you don't have any physical side effects (like BP, Retin A et al can do) and can easily sell it on again at a fair price.

Pros

• Works quickly without irritating the skin
  • No prescription hassle
  • No initial breakout
  • Did I mention it works?

Cons

• Can be cumbersome; you really have to set aside time EVERY day
  • Ticking sound very annoying
  • Expensive but it's definitely worth it
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • $ 75

By on

I don't know if this works for all types of acne, but it worked really well for me and I have had acne for at least 17 years (I'm now 30). I've gone to many dermatologists and tried EVERY imaginable product or method to treat it. After noticing that my acne always improved immediately (to the point of totally clear skin) after vacationing in the sun, I thought that a skin lamp might be most effective. Fortunately, I was right! I was lucky to find the lamp on Ebay for only $70.00 (including shipping), I still would've paid $250.00 for it (which is the original price). If it doesn't work for you, you could probably re-sell it online, as well. Anyway, as you can see, I can't say enough good things about this product! IT WORKS! :)

Pros

• Cleared up my skin better than anything else I've ever used-- and I've tried everything! (Accutane, Retin-A, Duac, Cleocin, antibiotics, Proactiv). Very effective for me-- it works!

Cons

• The ticking timer is kind of noisy, but I just listen to my iPod while I have the light on. Need to be consistent about using it-- in the beginning, every day; later, several times a week. However-- it's worth sitting for 15 min. a day!
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 70
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This lamp actually works to treat acne. Takes some time, and you have to do the treatment EVERY day. I'm travelling a lot in the weekends, so sometimes I had to start over new.. If you tend to clear up during the summer, this might help you get rid of most of your acne.

Pros

• Does work. Stopped breakouts after two weeks. My skin is a lot better after using this lamp.

Cons

• Noisy timer/clock. Doesn't cover the whole face, made me break out behind my ears and 'round my neck.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 250
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I tried it for about a month but didn't notice much of a change in oily skin and acne. It may have helped a little, but not so much that I would notice it, and so was not worth it to me. Maybe I was too hasty but I returned it.

Pros

• no side effects

Cons

• didn't really work for me
  • expensive
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 300
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

really works

pricy but well worth it (think how much money you waste on other useless stuff!)

be dedicated and you will get results

i combine this with duac cream which i put on after using the lamp and before bed- my skin has never been better and i am one of those tried everything and nothing works ive had acne for ever! people.

Pros

• really does work, like the sun but without the uv damage, you have to be dedicated, i have been using it for about 3 years now rarely missing a day except holidays and have had near totally clear skin which is definatly worth a few minutes each night

Cons

• can become a chour but just stick on some music and its not to bad.
  • moderate
  • $ 179
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Would recommend this over anything else i have tried.

Pros

• Works very well at clearing acne, of all variations. Mine is moderate inflammatory acne. Even accutane failed to clear my acne. Light therapy using the beautyskin box has cleared me up 100% and i only need to use it every other day now aswell.

Cons

• Needs a bit of dedication to begin with, persistency is the key. Initial cost is relatively high but when compared to how much can be spent on constant use of other products, it is pretty good actually.
  • moderate
  • $ 195
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have used this religiously for 4 months and... nothing. It is good for some people so I'd say: give it a try. It might work for you and at least it does not have any nasty side-effects.

Pros

• Hardly any risk of side effects

Cons

• Did not work for me at all and it takes a lot of time.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 150
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This is defo a must if you have used everything from pills to creams for your acne/spots/greasy skin as it does make a difference. Also if your acne is better when you are in the sun then this is good for you but without the UV rays to worry about. It may take a few weeks to notice a slight change but if you have the patience and time then this is for you. Very very recommend!!!!

Pros

• This product does work, I have used it for 2weeks now and have noticed my skin a lot smoother and les spots. I would say I don't have acne but large pores and greasy skin and a few spots that come up but it has improved the texture so far. A***

Cons

• The only cons are the price, but if you look at going to a health clinic you can pay the same for just one treatment, this way it is a great investment and you can use it at home when you like. Yo have to have patience to use this 15 mins a day.
  • light
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 179
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.