Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals

Average price: $34.88

Brand: Bare Escentuals

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, us on 08/03/2012

I can't belive I used Bare Escentuals/Bare Minerals for so long. I thought that because it was a powder it must be oil free and that any liquid makeup would be worse for my (adult) acne-prone skin. Then one day I went into a makeup store to find a portable compact and the ladies set me straight. My acne is moderate at this point, and mainly concentrated on the jaw line (towards my ears). It's been a problem for years now, and I basically had thrown up my hands and settled for "good enough." Bare Minerals seemed to cover my acne and though the acne didn't get any better, it also didn't get any worse. Well the make-up store consultants felt that my skin was too dry, the coverage was cakey, the coloring was ashy over my scars, and (besides my jawline) I really didn't need a full coverage make up all over. News to me!! Also, they informed me that Bare Minerals does in fact contain oils, and the oils are probably exacerbating my acne. Surprisingly they weren't trying to do a hard sell for anything, but they suggested I find an oil-free tinted moistruizer and oil-free concealer or touch-up stick. Also, they suggested an oil-free gel cream moisturizer. A few months later, things are definitely getting better with my skin and I have ditched *all* of my Bare Ecentuals/Bare Minerals products. I really can't believe how much my skin has improved in a short time!! Here are some of the products I've switched to (all oil free and not too expensive): Purpose cleansing bar; Garnier Moisture Rescue gel cream (morning moisturizer); Keihls Sodium PCA Oil Free Moisturizer (night moisturizer); Murad acne treatment concealer; Almay Clear Complexion concealer; Sephora brand oil-free tinted moistruizer; Sephora perfecting cover concealer; Physician's Formula Mineral Wear talc-free, oil-free blush and bronzer; Revlon Colorstay pressed powder (also oil-free and talc free); Acne-free Terminator spot treatment. I don't use all of the makeup products at once of course!!.

Pros:
  • full coverage
  • one product used for concealer and foundation
  • lasts a long time, so fairly affordable
Cons:
  • aggravates acne
  • cakey coverage
  • makes red marks look ashy when covered
  • drying
  • make-up rubs off onto clothing
  • high-maintenance application
  • not very portable

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful

Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%.

Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide.

Bare Escentuals BareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation Medium Beige 8 g
updated: 04/18/2014 08:18 UTC
bareMinerals MATTE SPF 15 Foundation with Click, Lock, Go Sifter - Fairly Medium
updated: 04/18/2014 08:18 UTC
bareMinerals ORIGINAL Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 in Fairly Light - 0.07oz/2g
updated: 04/18/2014 08:18 UTC
Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals ORIGINAL SPF 15 Foundation (Fairly Light)
bareMinerals ORIGINAL Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 in Medium 2g/0.07 OZ

Member reviews

“Great stuff :)”
By on

I love this makeup. I usually absolutely hate powder because it doesn't last me through the day and I need to cake it on to get any coverage. This is the one exception I have found. Not only does it give coverage without having to cake, it stays, and in my opinion looks better as the day goes on and it settles. Word of caution: I use this on top of a BB cream because my skin is easily dried. ( I recommend Garnier brand of BB cream for those of you who have this problem, I use normal formula, not oil free which I find tends to discolor and doesn't help with drying) Stops shine from the moisturizer and keeps my skin protected. I've been using it for years. It's never broken me out.

Pros

• Good coverage, light, do not need to use much.
  • Comes in wide variety of shades.
  • Does not cause me to break out.

Cons

• Kind of pricey.
  • May need to use something else around eye area, as the powder is not ideal for this area.
  • for more than a year
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Finally left this behind.”
By on

I have been using bare minerals for as long as I can remember. The coverage is excellent, the application is easy. I've had trouble skin since high school and have oily acne prone skin. I've tried all sorts of solves until one day I realized that it was my makeup. I didn't even really like how it looked on me, you could tell I was wearing powder. It made my skin itch when it was warm out or I started to sweat and clogged my pores! It took me forever to realize that this was the issue, not my skin creams and washes.

So girls with oily sensitive skin:

I've tried it all. This product is not for you

Pros

• Coverage
  • Easy application

Cons

• Itchiness
  • Clogged pores
  • Obvious I was wearing it
  • for more than a year
  • $ 25
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not as great as it seems”
By on

I saw so many ads showing how amazing this was so i brought it and was pretty disappointed. It didn't seem to cover enough and if i tried building it up it looked so dry and cakey and very noticeable. I haven't had any problems with breakouts from it. I now use this as a light powder over a liquid foundation since it just didn't cover enough. My skin is a bit on the dry side so I might re-try it when my skin is back to normal and see if that makes a difference. The Jane Iredale pressed mineral powder is definitely a way better option even thought its pricey its worth its money.

Pros

• shades are pretty good
  • theres the original and the matte version for people who don't like shimmer

Cons

• doesn't cover well
  • even though its a powder it looks overly dry somehow
  • for a few months
  • $ 27
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Finally something that doesn't make me breakout”
By on

I've used this for a few years and it's one of the only makeups I've found that doesn't make me breakout (the only other one is Garnier BB Cream). I wish they had a few more shade options. I'm always between the fairly light and light so that's kind of annoying and it is a little drying, but like I said, I haven't found very many options that my skin likes so I always come back to this.

Pros

• Doesn't make me breakout
  • Feels good on skin

Cons

• Color Selection
  • Drying
  • for more than a year
  • $ 28
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Decent coverage, great for my skin.”
By on

I noticed an improvement in my hyper pigmentation and overall skin texture when using this. It's never broken me out or blocked my pores and looks natural, giving just enough coverage to make me feel comfortable. The added SPF is a definite bonus. Just don't try to sleep in it - sleeping in make up is bad for you, no matter what cosmetic companies may say.

Pros

• Blurs imperfections
  • Helps to fade hyperpigmentation
  • Looks completely natural

Cons

• Even the normal version is matte - well, it is a powder
  • Can oxidise to an orangey shade when using too much
  • Doesn't cover blemishes fully
  • for about a year
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Don't fall for the hype: do your research”
By on

I was the biggest believer in this make-up for so many years. I thought it was a great alternative to liquid foundation. I always stayed away from liquid thinking it would give me pimples. Looking back, I know realize this was the product that made me break out and get cystic acne in the first place. After switching to a liquid foundation (Arbonne brand) I pretty much have stopped getting the huge cysts I always had in high school. I still break out, but no where near as bad as when I used this makeup. I will never go back!

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Filler ingredients caused breakouts
  • Dried my skin, making me produce more oily
  • Light coverage
  • for more than a year
  • $ 27
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“1 Word... Matte”
By on

I for one have never tried the original Bare Minerals formula. Look for Bare Minerals Matte. I Have been using this product, accompanied by The Regimen, and my skin has never looked better! This makeup covers any left over scars I may have. I highly recommend using the Matte version of this product.

Pros

• Covers scars well, No cakey feeling
  • Does NOT make me break out
  • Eliminates the shine from my face

Cons

• Expensive
  • Does not work well for very dry skin
  • for more than a year
  • $ 27
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Love this Stuff”
By on

I've used bareminerals for over 6 years now, and it's the best makeup I've ever worn. I wear makeup on a regular basis, and this is the only makeup that I've used that feels like I have nothing on my skin. Liquid makeup feels like a mask, and other powders give so little coverage that you have to cake it on to look flawless. In my opinion, bareminerals is best for people that have very light to light/moderate acne and want a flawless finish to their skin. I have mild acne and this makeup does the trick. If you are looking for a makeup that will cover cystic or moderate/severe acne, this will not cover every flaw, but it feels very silky.

Pros

• natural looking
  • feels like your bare skin

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for more than a year
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not entirely full coverage but light weight”
By on

I have been using bare minerals/bare essentials for almost a year, and I have noticed that my skin looks less shiny and oily. I also have noticed my pores are less clogged. This foundation powder for me, doesn't entirely cover acne, but it does a good job covering post acne marks and uneven skin tone colors. When applying the mineral veil afterwards, I do see a difference in setting the foundation but at the end of an eight hour day, I can definitely see a difference in the coverage and find myself touching up. I would love to find a makeup that is great for oily skin and keeps coverage all day :)

Pros

• Light weight
  • Great skin tone match
  • Can build up medium/lightly full coverage

Cons

• Doesn't last all day
  • Expensive
  • Doesn't hide acne very well
  • for about a year
  • $ 35
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had used this for a year awhile back and stopped because I thought it was irritating my skin. I recently used it again because the color match is so good and I thought my skin might handle it better this time. No way! It gave me a bunch of white bumps and broke me out. I use Dan's Regimen and the normal formula was too drying and the matte didn't dry me out ,but broke me out. No good choice here. I now use Maybelline Pure Stay which is a really great product for me!!

Pros

• Great Color Match

Cons

• Normal formula dried out my skin
  • Matte formula broke me out
  • Got little white bumps all over chin
  • Expensive
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 28