Page 3 of Baking Soda reviews

4.3/5 - 905 reviews

So-so
Reviewed on March 18, 2014

It's a great exfoliator, but it dries my skin out terribly and occasionally causes breakouts, even (and sometimes especially) if I moisturize afterward. It's a very good spot treatment though. But my main preference for it is as a shampoo. :)

by ShinyBaby123 on 07/15/2014 17:31
How do you use it as a shampoo? Like how much are you supposed to use and stuff?
It's a life saver!
Reviewed on March 9, 2014

I've been using baking soda as my face wash for just over a year now and I love it. I just started using it on my chest and back to help with acne there as well and it's done wonders for me. I also use it under my arms to help get off any deodorant that didn't come off with my body wash. I don't mix anything with the baking soda, I just wet my face when I'm taking a shower in the morning, or in the sink when I'm getting ready for bed, take a little bit of the baking soda in my hand and scrub my face a bit. When I do wear makeup, the baking soda manages to get off the remainder of the makeup that I may have missed with my makeup remover. I have super sensitive skin and this is honestly the only thing my skin hasn't reacted badly too. My skin is really oily as well and helps manage that a bit too. Plus it feels good to exfoliate my skin! It's really been a life saver for me because I've struggled with acne since I was 11 and have spent way to much money on different products and since I'm a poor broke college student right now, it's the most cost effective thing for me.

Only one problem
Reviewed on February 26, 2014

To create my paste, I mixed about 1/4 part water and 3/4 part baking soda (you can use what ever you please, it's preference). Then I washed my face until it was clean then I applied the paste with a brush, you can use your fingers though. The mask was a bit uncomfortable but that was because it was drying and tightening my skin, which I assumed would happen. After three uses of this, I saw INSANE results but the only bad thing is, after a week of using it everyday the results dumbed down and it stopped working. So I suggest that you use it and take a break for a week or so, other than that, it took away many acne scar! It's great before a big event! But make sure you test it on a small patch of skin first.

by RadiantMilk on 02/26/2014 23:45
I meant affordable *
Awesome
Reviewed on February 23, 2014

Well over the years my face was full of scars from pimples and pimples themselves. I always wanted that flawless face girls used to have. So one day I started looking for home remedies for my acne and I saw baking soda. I mixed the baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and everytime I showered I would used it as a scrub. After a week my face was flawless and even though I still had scars the pimples were gone.

Amazing
Reviewed on February 21, 2014

Well at first it was hard to mix to get that pasty texture but then I got a hang of it

Not just for baking
Reviewed on February 4, 2014

I mix this is with most of my face washes as well as my body wash. It reduces redness, dries my oily skin just right, takes off the flaking from healed spots. Cleans and clears both my facial acne as well as my body acne. I mix this in with my facial wash, and my tea tree soap bar for my body.

Totally Worth the Sting!
Reviewed on January 28, 2014

This product was Amazing! I didn't think much of it when I first came across it but thought that I would give it a go and it was awesome. I used 2tbsp of baking soda and mixed it with 2 tsps of water and made a paste and applied it in circular motions. Left it on for about 10 mins and rinsed with warm water. My face looks great! Reduced swelling, and cleared out pores.

DO NOT USE BAKING SODA ON YOUR FACE! FAR TOO ALKALINE!
Reviewed on January 25, 2014

I am horrified to see the amount of people who actually use this on their face.

Your skin has a natural acid mantle which helps it fight breakouts and using an alkaline substance like baking soda will completely destroy that by throwing the PH right off.

No competent skin care professional would ever recommend putting this on your face, but if you are going to anyway, make sure you lower the PH of your skin with an acidic toner after like ACV.

by sarahi123 on 04/30/2014 04:08
exactly my thoughts
by Lisa H on 05/13/2014 18:50
That's weird, because my dermatologist recommends it as a mild micro-dermabrasion substitute when mixed with Cetaphil. Another well-known dermatologist, Paula Begoun, also recommends it. So, I would have to disagree.
by Lilyap on 06/05/2014 18:44
I often find that traditional soaps (lye based and therefore basic) do a better job of keeping my skin clear than pH balanced ones with surfactants. I have a theory that the bacteria on my skin causing breakouts are sensitive to the drastic change in pH (from skin's natural pH of ~5-6.5 to the soap's pH of maybe 10) and that it kills them off, but that's just a guess. I know my skin problems have to do a lot with something in the water supply though, because I always have glowing clear skin in NYC or California but I have nothing but problems in western NY. Everyone's biological and environmental circumstances are different, so what negatively impacts one person may be magic for another.
by Lilyap on 06/05/2014 18:54
Also, your skin will regenerate the acid mantle through normal sebum secretion..... So, while I generally would advise an acidic toner, you can definitely do without it. If your acid mantle is too depleted, your skin will overproduce oil to replenish it; if your skin is getting super oily in the hours after using a basic treatment, then your body is telling you that it needs help balancing itself (so use an acidic toner: diluted aloe, acv, honey, etc).
by SlickNewFace on 08/12/2014 08:06
First, Paula Begoun is an esthetician, not a dermatologist. And I hate her skin care products (FULL of parabens and not enough effective ingredients). That said, she's right about using baking soda. Estheticians use it all the time as a desincrustation solution. It's also used post chemical peels to neutralize them.
love it
Reviewed on January 7, 2014

I use it as a scrub, just mix it with a bit of water. I have tried to do a mask but it makes my skin burn. However, the burning is gone after I wash it off and it doesn't make my face red or anything. Aside from a bit of stinging, all I have noticed are great results. My face feels so smooth after I use it, and the blackheads that were all over my nose are disappearing. Yay! :-)

Very helpful
Reviewed on December 30, 2013

I personally don't have anything with sensitive skin but the best part about this is you can find it in most homes as don't have to ask your parents for money. Use it as a spot treatment as wear it over night. It decreases pimple size significantly!