Page 2 of Baking Soda reviews

4.3/5 - 890 reviews

Not just for baking
Reviewed on February 4, 2014

I mix this is with most of my face washes as well as my body wash. It reduces redness, dries my oily skin just right, takes off the flaking from healed spots. Cleans and clears both my facial acne as well as my body acne. I mix this in with my facial wash, and my tea tree soap bar for my body.

Totally Worth the Sting!
Reviewed on January 28, 2014

This product was Amazing! I didn't think much of it when I first came across it but thought that I would give it a go and it was awesome. I used 2tbsp of baking soda and mixed it with 2 tsps of water and made a paste and applied it in circular motions. Left it on for about 10 mins and rinsed with warm water. My face looks great! Reduced swelling, and cleared out pores.

DO NOT USE BAKING SODA ON YOUR FACE! FAR TOO ALKALINE!
Reviewed on January 25, 2014

I am horrified to see the amount of people who actually use this on their face.

Your skin has a natural acid mantle which helps it fight breakouts and using an alkaline substance like baking soda will completely destroy that by throwing the PH right off.

No competent skin care professional would ever recommend putting this on your face, but if you are going to anyway, make sure you lower the PH of your skin with an acidic toner after like ACV.

by sarahi123 on 04/30/2014 04:08
exactly my thoughts
by Lisa H on 05/13/2014 18:50
That's weird, because my dermatologist recommends it as a mild micro-dermabrasion substitute when mixed with Cetaphil. Another well-known dermatologist, Paula Begoun, also recommends it. So, I would have to disagree.
by Lilyap on 06/05/2014 18:44
I often find that traditional soaps (lye based and therefore basic) do a better job of keeping my skin clear than pH balanced ones with surfactants. I have a theory that the bacteria on my skin causing breakouts are sensitive to the drastic change in pH (from skin's natural pH of ~5-6.5 to the soap's pH of maybe 10) and that it kills them off, but that's just a guess. I know my skin problems have to do a lot with something in the water supply though, because I always have glowing clear skin in NYC or California but I have nothing but problems in western NY. Everyone's biological and environmental circumstances are different, so what negatively impacts one person may be magic for another.
by Lilyap on 06/05/2014 18:54
Also, your skin will regenerate the acid mantle through normal sebum secretion..... So, while I generally would advise an acidic toner, you can definitely do without it. If your acid mantle is too depleted, your skin will overproduce oil to replenish it; if your skin is getting super oily in the hours after using a basic treatment, then your body is telling you that it needs help balancing itself (so use an acidic toner: diluted aloe, acv, honey, etc).
love it
Reviewed on January 7, 2014

I use it as a scrub, just mix it with a bit of water. I have tried to do a mask but it makes my skin burn. However, the burning is gone after I wash it off and it doesn't make my face red or anything. Aside from a bit of stinging, all I have noticed are great results. My face feels so smooth after I use it, and the blackheads that were all over my nose are disappearing. Yay! :-)

Very helpful
Reviewed on December 30, 2013

I personally don't have anything with sensitive skin but the best part about this is you can find it in most homes as don't have to ask your parents for money. Use it as a spot treatment as wear it over night. It decreases pimple size significantly!

Works well
Reviewed on December 29, 2013

I used lemon and baking soda since I have a mix of everything and scars, for the first 5 min I had it on it was fine then it started to feel like cement was on my face so I washed it off and put olive oil on it, I kept doing this 2 times a week and in three weeks all the scars and whiteheads are gone.

amazing results
Reviewed on December 29, 2013

I have sensitive skin and every product I was using seemed to irritate and cause more inflammation and breakouts. Due to the nature of my job I wear beauty products daily. Got to the point my acne was impacting my confidence, everything.. One use of baking soda, deep ones started to dry up, open acne healed quickly and it pulled out too. I can use it daily and as a spot treatment, with just water as a thin paste.. Burning sensation and redness after use but this goes away quickly. Results got better with each day. I also used apple cider vinegar to bring up deep acne the exfoliated it away with b soda. When my skin gets dry, i use coconut oil as a facial and cleanse it off with b soda. got rid of all unnatural products on my face. even clean my make up brushes with it.. Love the results.

Not an every day mask, but works great!
Reviewed on October 29, 2013

I have SUPER sensitive, oily skin. I also have moderate acne. I cannot use anything on my face without it breaking out, Cetaphil, Clean&Clear, Neutrogena, expensive acne kits, etc. The first time I used baking soda (1 tbs of baking soda mixed with a little witch hazel and water) as I was rubbing it on, my skin was on fire! I could not get the baking soda mix off fast enough! It immediately turned my whole face bright red. However, as I was examining my face for damage, it was like the baking soda has loosened up every blackhead on my face, especially my nose! I went over my skin with some witch hazel afterwards to soothe it and literally the next day I could see an improvement in my skin. My giant, oily pores were much smaller and looked great! My skin also looked better too!

I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use, it is an intense detox. I have used it once a week now for the past 5 weeks and my skin looks and feels waaay better than it did. It also no longer burns my skin when I use it, which I think is because I no longer have huge pores. Most importantly skin looks and feels healthy! I still have acne, but it doesn't hurt and throb like it use to. My face is also not a constant shade of red.

i really notice a difference
Reviewed on October 20, 2013

I used it only once overnight. And I noticed a dramatic difference in pimple swelling and redness. I used a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda because I learned that the acidity in lemons help fight Bacteria and also help lighten the skin. So I applied the baking soda lemon juice mixture as a mask overnight and my skin is alot smoother and more radiant. And the pimple size went down. I'm definitely using this again ^_^

So far so Good!
Reviewed on August 22, 2013

I started using Baking Soda as a Face Mask in hopes to find something inexpensive to help eliminate my breakouts and blackheads. I first put a warm cloth over my face to open the pores. If I am short on time I wet a wash cloth with warm water and dab my face. Then I pour baking soda into the palm of my hand and add warm water. Scoop up the paste and apply it in a circular motion all around my face and nose area especially around the hairline. I leave on for 10 minutes and rinse off in the shower or sink again wiping my face gently in a circular motion. When the mask is on for ten minutes I do feel a slight burn like when you apply astringent but its nothing painful or nothing that results in my face being irritated or red. The pimples that I did have started to dry up and clear away. My face does feel softer and feels clean. So far so good! I also used it in the shower for my body and my skin feels great!