Page 2 of Baking Soda reviews

4.2/5 - 920 reviews

Baking Soda

Avoid using baking soda on your face!!
Reviewed on February 8, 2015

I have breakouts all over my face, I think it has something to do with my thyroid disorder, so after doing some online research, I bought a box of this baking soda (earlier today) and decided to give it a try.

First, I washed my face using an apricot scrub bar and rinsed it off thoroughly.

I then poured some baking soda into my palm, along with a little water, and applied it to my face, scrubbing GENTLY!

It started burning instantly, which I thought was normal... But then after about 30 seconds it started burning like crazy and become intolerable so I quickly rinsed it off with cold water... It still burned a little so I rinsed about 2 more times...

OMG when I dried my face I saw that I had huge burns all over my cheeks and on my forehead... Which are oozing!!!

I am so sad right now... And on top of that, my face is completely dried out... I applied some moisturizer but it was stinging... So now I am sitting down with peanut butter all over my face... Ugh!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I PUT BAKING SODA ON MY FACE....

by HannahSPND1 on 02/18/2015 02:41
This is basically what happened to me a few minutes ago!! I noticed I had big pores while looking in the mirror, so I went to Google and asked how to shrink them. Making a paste with baking soda and water came up so I tried it. About 30 seconds in, it starts burning but not horribly bad so I left it on for 3 minutes, like the directions online said to. Then I scrubbed it off, and I just looked in the mirror. I have breakouts on my cheeks now! Thy are like little pimples and not oozing though. And it burns still. I've tried cold and hot water to scrub it off and lower the burning but it's not working.
by Ashley545 on 02/27/2015 12:11
I'd like to point out that baking soda is like exfoliating your face, so I don't know why you used an apricot scrub before then..
by RDMF on 04/25/2015 16:27
Yeah, baking soda has completely the wrong pH for your skin. It's way too alkaline and can really damage your skin's protective barrier. Acne-causing bacteria also grows best in more alkaline conditions, like those caused by baking soda, so yeah, it's best to avoid putting this anywhere near your skin.
Never using this on my face again!
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

Last night I used this to get rid of acne marks, I left it on for only about 15 minutes because it was burning so much. I woke up this morning with two huge burns and a couple small ones. They have been oozing and stinging non stop. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Use a product that's actually meant to be put on your face.

by Sipsi on 02/05/2015 14:44
are you sure you used baking soda, and not baking powder?
by Drea86 on 02/08/2015 02:59
The same thing happened to me just now.
Very average
Reviewed on January 28, 2015

Works for a day in drying out pimples but they come back and the stuff is (eventually) very irritating to the skin. Not a long term solution.

28 years old and finally Baking Soda cleared my acne!!!
Reviewed on January 25, 2015

Tried so many over the counter washes and acne treatments and nothing seemed to ever work!!!!I have very oily skin and still broke.out at 28 with acne, tried making baking soda face masks by just adding a bit of water to a a handfull of baking soda. It seriously works better then anything, keeps my skin from being a oil slick all the time somehow. A bit too much too scrub your face with, irritates mine that way. But wetting my face a few times a week and doing the mask is amazing, took alot of redness away also!!!!Try it!!!!

Good and bad side....
Reviewed on January 7, 2015

Okay. I found a recipe on the internet for how to get rid of black head. Being myself, went and tried it. I put 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a bit of water to make it a paste. I put my head over boiling water to open my pores. Once i did that... i applied it to my face! At first it was a stinging sensation and then it sort of dried but not fully. I knew something was wrong, so i went back to the bowl and washed my face with a war cloth and warm water. It had tightened my pores. It also on the other hand was really smooth. I recommend if you are using this... to put a toner or a moisturizer on STRAIGHT after you wipe the scrub off. SO you get your PH evel up in your face!!

The good side is that my face has never and i mean never been this clean. Its so soft and No blackheads after my FIRST GOOO!!! I thought that was amazing!!

Please DO NOT use baking soda on your skin
Reviewed on December 9, 2014

Baking soda has a pH of 9, and science says that skin's optimal pH is 4.7-5.5. It's optimal because the bacteria that causes acne dies when it's in slightly acidic environment. All baking soda does is dry out your skin, increase acne in the long run, and damage the acid mantle.

by rebelxt on 12/25/2014 02:05
The bacteria that cause acne (Propionibacterium acnes) actually thrives in the pH of 4.5 and 7.5. So anything greater or lesser than the pH range should inhibit the bacterial growth. Source: ([link removed] .
by rebelxt on 12/25/2014 02:06
by rebelxt on 12/25/2014 02:07
by Sipsi on 02/05/2015 14:47
Also sea water is also a ph of 9. It's fine for skin.
Great spot treatment for oily skin!
Reviewed on December 9, 2014

I've heard a lot of love/hate for this, but let's calm down. Baking soda is really cheap, even if you get organic/natural. All I do is put some water on my finger, dip it in the box, and apply it to each wet pimple after washing my face. However, you have to be careful not to get the paste on the rest of your skin or it will dry it out. Leave it on for less than 5 minutes, and use a washcloth to wash it off with cold water. Apply a toner if your skin is too dry. I do this no more than once a day.

Works for me as long as I use coconut oil to moisturize
Reviewed on December 4, 2014

Baking soda would leave my skin very dry if I didnt immediately put coconut oil on afterward. Since using it though, my skin has cleared up a lot. My method would probably make people shudder.

Coconut oil moisturizer

Baking soda wash

Spot treatment with wart remover.

Yes wart remover. I apply it very fast, wipe it off, and cover it with coconut oil and its been working.

by Rilianne07 on 12/04/2014 04:14
Good for you. Coconut oil makes me break out really bad. It is highly comedogenic. Furthermore, I live in a tropicql climate where coconut oil is in liquid form, unlike the solid form Westerners are accustomed to. Not my ideal moisturizer. But it's good that it works for you.
Awesome method
Reviewed on November 14, 2014

I love this method. FYI don't use it too often (once a week)or keep it on too long (30-45secs). I also use tea tree oil as a moisturizer which is helping with the blemish marks.

really hurts to use baking soda
Reviewed on November 14, 2014

i used it and it burned my face and it made my lips swell up bad idea:(

by brucee1920 on 11/14/2014 15:06