Page 3 of Bactrim/ Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic reviews

Brand: Bactrim/

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Inactive ingredients:
Docusate sodium 85%, sodium benzoate 15%, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.

Reviewed on May 12, 2012

I went to the doctor for some problems non-acne related. I was put on Criprofloxacin, turned out I was allergic and was rushed to ER. After all that, I was then put on Bactrim. Well, all of sudden my acne started clearing and up and I wasn't getting new pimples or anything. I go Acne.org and found out Bactrim could be used for acne. That was a surprise to me and my mother. :D

Reviewed on May 7, 2012

I find this a very helpful drug. Although a few days in and I began experiencing extreme heat flashes and i did sweat more when exercising, I'm a guy so it cant be anything nature related. also another thing i experienced was extreme lightheadedness and it doesn't cooperate with soft drinks very much. also when reading about things that can occur like steven-johnson syndrome it is very unlikely so dint worry unless you get exxtreme symptoms... but it works very well!!!

Reviewed on April 10, 2012

I was really excited to try this medication given the glowing reviews of my new dermatologist and the fact that I've been given every other antibiotic under the sun. I only had a few cysts when I started the medicine. I had great success with doxycycline, but the effects wore off and if anything, my acne has only worsened over time using antibiotics. I'm extremely disappointed because Bactrim left my skin broken out all over the place, with huge painful cysts and nodules. My derm thinks it may have caused an overgrowth of resistant bacteria, but she is confirming that with a culture swab. Now I am left to try Accutane at the age of 27, and I'm completely frightened, but going to go through with it. I tried natural methods of clearing acne as well, for many years, and nothing has been able to clear me. I would say, stick to the tetracycline family for acne and do not venture into these extreme antibiotics...they may only disrupt your flora and cause super-infections. :(

by Yvolo on 12/14/2013 06:16
How many mg were you taking
Reviewed on March 20, 2012

with in the first few days it cleared all the tiny little bumps on my forehead! and i was excited but it didnt nothing for the rest of my face and now the bumps on my forehead are back and the rest of my skin has just gotten worse. im so disappointed because i saw so many great reviews on this! I'm gonna keep taking this though. I've been using it for a little over 2 weeks i think

Reviewed on March 4, 2012

I only took this for 3 months but it did a decent job while I took it. I had horribly, huge cysts (half dollar size) and this helped with all the infection. All my cysts went down in size. Even more awesome, I didn't get yeast infections while on this.

I still ended up on Accutane but this helped out a lot while I waited to get on Accutane.

Reviewed on February 24, 2012

I have had acne to varying degrees since I was about 13. I have tried everything, including accutane (which, for the record, did not really clear my skin, but the doc said it would sort of "re-sensitize it" so that things that previously didn't work may work after taking it). Once I finished the accutane, my doc put me back on low dose Bactrim. I told her we were wasting time because we tried it when I was younger and it didn't work. I was wrong. My skin was perfect in a week, and I was able to keep it that way by taking the Bactrim just once every other day!

Reviewed on January 25, 2012

I have had acne since I was about 13. I had a normal amount of confidence in myself until I got acne and no one else did. I dealt with my acne for years using different antibiotics, ranging from tetracycline, minocycline, and most recently solodyn. Also i have been on plenty of topical like benzyl peroxide and others. I really let my acne take control of me by not wanting to go hang out with friends or do certain things because i hated when people would look at my acne and not at me! Now im 18 and im on this sulfamethoxazole, i am more confident than ever before and my acne is no longer an issue. Its a great product for those who dont have extremely bad acne, but yet still have noticeable bumps or pimples on their face. It helped me greatly!!!!

Reviewed on January 8, 2012

This is a very effective product it kills the bacteria in your system which causes severe pimples. I occasionally get one or two but those are now cleared up as well :)

Reviewed on December 21, 2011

For a year I was absolutely miserable with my cystic acne; it was painful and unsightly, as I'm sure many of you know already. I went to my

dermatologist and he said Bactrim was the last thing we would try before I would need to start Accutane. Hearing him say that was devastating, so I hoped Bactrim would work. I started in May of 2010. Summer was a little tough for me, the acne got worse at first and I was so unhappy. However, by the end of July and beginning of August, my skin was beginning to clear. I no longer had cysts, I had baby whiteheads if anything. By the beginning of school, my skin was clear and I have had clear skin ever since. I receive tons of compliments on my skin and the other day when I wasnt wearing makeup, my friend asked me if I was wearing foundation because my skin looked so good. Listen to me, I've tried everything. Bactrim was the best decision of my life.

Reviewed on December 10, 2011

I still get a pimple or two but not as frequently and this stuff has really made my skin softer. It took about a month to really kick in though, so stay patient.