Page 2 of Bactrim/ Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic reviews

Brand: Bactrim/

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Inactive ingredients:
Docusate sodium 85%, sodium benzoate 15%, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.

Reviewed on October 12, 2012

it worked...took some time...may be like 2 weeks to see results....i use it with tazorac topical (0.1% dose)...i think tazorac is the drug that is really doing the magic....but since tazorac could take upto 12 weeks to see results...this combination would like kick start the results i guess....

before this combo, i tried minocycline(2x100mg)/day with benzaclin in the am, tretinoin/differin before bed.....i have oily skin with moderately severe cystic acne on face...there would be like couple of them on face, when they settle down, another 2/3 in a different area of face would slowly show-up, also severe scalp acne, aka folliculitis...if you are an athlete like me, you know what i am talking about..caused by all the sweat..anyways...this would leave bad scars with big dark spots...mino with all these topicals never worked for me...i would work only when i am taking them...then my derm would tell me reduce the mino doasge...then within next 2 days..the acne would come back...so this was really not working for a long term basis...i took them for like 4/5 years...lost patience like million times during these years...changed 4 derms....they all kept prescribing the same combo and asked me to be patient.....eventually i changed derm...the new doctor immediately changed to bactrim(generic..too long name to type-in..lol) with tazorac....it is working because i started lowering my dose...and the acne has not come back yet...which wasnt the case with mino and its combo topicals....big relief.....i am scarred to go into accutane-generic b'cos of all the article i read....esp. the joint pains...joint pain are a big NO NO for weight lifters...

bottom line, this is a good drug to try out before accutane....please ask doctor to try with tazorac...because thats the real deal in this combo...tazorac is like the topical accutane...it works the same way as accutane with almost no side effects other than drying of skin...which skin gets used to in like a month....i hope

Reviewed on September 25, 2012

Even though I would love to keep taking this because it helps with acne so much, the side effects are not worth it!

Reviewed on September 14, 2012

When I went and saw my dermatologist for the first time my acne was so severe, with lots of cystic pimples, and scars that she wanted to put me on Accutane, but my parents were against it since I would have to be on bc. So instead of Accutane she perscribed this. The first few months on Bacrtim I didn't see much improvement at all, and I was about ready to give up when my skin started clearing a little by little. After a year my skin has become virtually pimple free, absolutely no cystic acne, and now I feel comfortable not wearing makeup most days. My dermatologist told me at my last visit this spring that I can discontinue the Bactrim when I think I'm ready, which was great news. I'm still taking it, but I may stop it towards the end of the year. :)

Reviewed on September 10, 2012

I have suffered from acne off and on from my teens. I would be on something and it'd clear up but then soon break out again. Minocyclene worked well but I became immune to it. My dermatologist recommendd spiriolactane, which made my skin worse then ever, the he gave me bactrim. I read several reviews on the bad side effects but thought "I've never had a reaction to any kind of drug, so I'll be fine" well I was wrong..4 weeks after taking the drug (1 pill twice a day) I am currently sitting in a hospital bed with a rash from my hair to my toes. I'm on my second night and have no idea when I will be released.. It has now infected my liver.I have never been in so much pain in my life. Please take this post seriously and do NOT think it "can't happen to you." bc I am proof that it can. It did help clear my acne, and as depressing and embarrassing as acne is, your health is not worth it. I promise you will regret it

Reviewed on August 13, 2012

I took this pill for about a month. I switched to it from minocycline. I immediately saw amazing results. My skin was perfect. Unfortunately, I found out I am severely allergic to this pill. My liver inflamed and I was almost hospitalized.

I am disappointed that I am allergic to it because it worked so well.

Reviewed on June 4, 2012

It took months of consistent use before I finally noticed any changes. It did eventually get rid of my acne. However, I had to consistently use it for it to work. But the issue is that it's not healthy to be using this long term because it's an antibiotic. Not only this but a few months after you are done using it, it flare right back up. The longest I went without having to use it was 6 months. Eventually I noticed cysts coming back. Overall I would say that it's a waste of money and there are better solutions out there.

Reviewed on June 3, 2012

Kills bacteria, prevents cysts, does not clear acne.

I would recommend if you're trying to maintain your active acne.

By no means is this a miracle pill.

Reviewed on May 24, 2012

I spent 3 days in hospital as a result of these meds. I was put on 600mg by my dermatologist and did't get the reaction until 7 days in to the treatment.

My skin had actually started to look a tad clearer but it obviously isn't worth the risks as I was tested for Meningitus, SJS and other diseases.

Reviewed on May 12, 2012

I went to the doctor for some problems non-acne related. I was put on Criprofloxacin, turned out I was allergic and was rushed to ER. After all that, I was then put on Bactrim. Well, all of sudden my acne started clearing and up and I wasn't getting new pimples or anything. I go Acne.org and found out Bactrim could be used for acne. That was a surprise to me and my mother. :D

Reviewed on May 7, 2012

I find this a very helpful drug. Although a few days in and I began experiencing extreme heat flashes and i did sweat more when exercising, I'm a guy so it cant be anything nature related. also another thing i experienced was extreme lightheadedness and it doesn't cooperate with soft drinks very much. also when reading about things that can occur like steven-johnson syndrome it is very unlikely so dint worry unless you get exxtreme symptoms... but it works very well!!!