Page 5 of Bactrim/ Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic reviews

Brand: Bactrim/

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Inactive ingredients:
Docusate sodium 85%, sodium benzoate 15%, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.

Reviewed on September 25, 2011

I took this pill 2x a day for 1 month. It did absolutely nothing for my acne. I still had just as many acne breakouts while taking the drug. The only good thing is I didn't have an allergic reaction to the sulfur in the drug. I guess I am one of those people who it just doesn't work for, which sucks because I was really hoping it would have worked. I wanted the same results as so many people on this site had. If it works for you, great! If it doesn't it's a waste of time. Luckily I have insurance so it was free to take for me.

Reviewed on September 12, 2011

Bactrim works, it clears up cystic acne relatively quickly in conjunction with topicals (Benzoyl Peroxide; Retin A). Does increase sensitivity to the sun and has numerous side effects(especially with those persons who are sulphur intolerant).

Reviewed on September 11, 2011

You start out with two everyday for 2 months, you are clear after 2 weeks of everything beneath skin, and after the two months you take one everyday.

Pair with a good non comedeogenic moisturizer and a benzoyle peroxide cleanser, you should be acne free in 2-3 weeks. No cystic acne at all ever. Skin isn't red. It does become more sensitive though, especially for shaving.

Take a Zinc pill in the morning, and Bactrim at night. The zinc will really help, most people don't believe it, but it is proven in many clinical, government, and university studies that zinc is the best thing for skin(both topical and pill).

My family has insurance, but these pills were the same price with insurance and off insurance.

My energy has increased a little, I can tell if I forgot to take the pill.

Reviewed on September 9, 2011

Overall, this pill has gotten rid of my acne like nothing else could, and it makes me feel super healthy!

When I went to the dermo, he said that my acne was VERY bad.

Reviewed on September 7, 2011

It worked great! But after a few months, it slowly stopped working.

Reviewed on August 23, 2011

I was taking 2 bactrim pills a day. During the 3rd week I thought I was coming down with a bad cold or the flu. I had horrible joint aches and a horrible headache. After the 3rd day of feeling like this I thought it was odd those were my only symptoms. No cough, throwing up, stomach ache, etc. I called the local pharm. and she told me to stop taking the bactrim. When I went to my derm the following monday he sd I was allergic to it. I didn't think these symptoms would mean it was an allergic reaction? But I guess its better to assume that then be sorry. It was miserable though there was one night I couldn't even get out of bed because my head and body ached so bad! I guess there is no proof it was the bactrim, but I felt better as soon as I stopped taking it and I probably won't try it again. My body just didn't react well to it at all.

Reviewed on August 16, 2011

My acne was fairly severe although it could have been worse. The first drug I tried was Doxycycline and it worked for a little while (not quickly) but then it just stopped working. I have tried most OTC acne creams and also prescription ones....NONE of them worked. I got on birth control to try and help with my skin...it doesn't. I started taking Bactrim in March of this year and was extremely nervous because of the extensive research and some of the very scary and real side effects that come along with this drug. I did hours of research and poured over this site and the reviews over and over to try and make my decision. I decided to try it and see what happened. Well, I was very careful about knowing what the side effects were and watching my body to make sure I didn't have any symptoms. I recommend doing this in case some of the more serious side effects (Steven-johnsons syndrome) happens. It is important to get the blood tests necessary to determine whether it is safe for you to take this medicine. I would say that people should try this drug as a last resort only because of the potential life treatening side effects that people who are alergic to sulfides may experience. It DOES work but your health should be a first priority over the apprearance of your skin.

Reviewed on August 16, 2011

Stopped using minocycline, because my teeth were starting to turn blue, and found Bactrim. Bactrim is better than minocycline and there is not as strict an eating schedule of when to take it. My severe acne was destroyed and now have minimal/if any acne.

Reviewed on August 11, 2011

Ok. this is gonna be kinda long but about 2 weeks ago i got a small, tiny bump on my chin, but over a 3 day span that bump grew to be a cyst about the size of a dime..which is pretty big.

So freaking out, i went to the dr to get the cortizone shot. they told me they couldnt do it because it was some kinda infection so they gave me a 10 dosage of bactrim to be taken twice a day. it went down slowly but surely every day but she sent me to the dr again to have it looked at by a specialist. he then gave me a full pescription of bactrim and clindamycin gel to use in the morning and epiduo at night. about 4 days into my new routine my skin was beginning to look really good, but i found myself getting more and more tired.

On what was probably my 8th day on bactrim i noticed i got these long dreary headaches that would last all day..then my muscles would ache. then i was waking up with a consistent crick in my neck. This pain all got worse and worse every day. finally on my 11th day i woke up and i could barely move my body without being in pain. even my eyes hurt.

i decided that bactrim was the reason and didnt take it that day. By the end of the day my body felt fine. So yeh. Now i take half a pill every other day. sometimes i still feel the pain but i really love bactrims results so i want to find a routine. ill post another review when i find something that works..but i will say that my skin is pretty clear and my other creams have been working good as well.

Reviewed on July 17, 2011

I have been in bactrim for more than 40 days, it sops new acne on the first days itself. But blemishes took more than a month to disappear.

It stops acne on the first day itself because its stops skin swelling .....If skin swelling stops, automatically no new acne.but blemishes wil not easy disappear if no skin swelling so u need a topical medicine to make the blemishes to fell. If u have good topical medicine and oral medicine Bactrim

it combines and make an end to acne and blemishes.

Body will not become immune to this medicine, many people telling bactrim medicine is become immune so again acne breakout. No not at all.

Bactrim main activity in body is to stop skin swelling, and decrease the protein needed for acne bacteria growth. killing the bacteria is the 2nd thing.

Bactrim 70 % purpose to stop skin swelling & to decrease the protein needed for acne so you lose weight

only 30% to kill bacteria.

Bactrim Benefits:

1. Stops skin swelling so No acne on first day itself.

2. Very cheap price

3. Good hair growth bcos it has sulphur

4. Weight loss

5. Gives beautiful skin with the combination of topical medicine.

6.You can take any food and chocolates, ice cream etc...

Amazing medicine, take continuously for 2 to 3 months to see good results.If u feel very tired or any other effects take a half tablet on night its enough to stop new acne but apply topical medicine on old acne and blemishes. You should take liver and blood tests periodically.Dont take any other medicine while you in bactrim.