Bactrim/ Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic

Average price: $11.54

Brand: Bactrim/

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Baltimore, MD on 10/12/2012

it worked...took some time...may be like 2 weeks to see results....i use it with tazorac topical (0.1% dose)...i think tazorac is the drug that is really doing the magic....but since tazorac could take upto 12 weeks to see results...this combination would like kick start the results i guess.... before this combo, i tried minocycline(2x100mg)/day with benzaclin in the am, tretinoin/differin before bed.....i have oily skin with moderately severe cystic acne on face...there would be like couple of them on face, when they settle down, another 2/3 in a different area of face would slowly show-up, also severe scalp acne, aka folliculitis...if you are an athlete like me, you know what i am talking about..caused by all the sweat..anyways...this would leave bad scars with big dark spots...mino with all these topicals never worked for me...i would work only when i am taking them...then my derm would tell me reduce the mino doasge...then within next 2 days..the acne would come back...so this was really not working for a long term basis...i took them for like 4/5 years...lost patience like million times during these years...changed 4 derms....they all kept prescribing the same combo and asked me to be patient.....eventually i changed derm...the new doctor immediately changed to bactrim(generic..too long name to type-in..lol) with tazorac....it is working because i started lowering my dose...and the acne has not come back yet...which wasnt the case with mino and its combo topicals....big relief.....i am scarred to go into accutane-generic b'cos of all the article i read....esp. the joint pains...joint pain are a big NO NO for weight lifters... bottom line, this is a good drug to try out before accutane....please ask doctor to try with tazorac...because thats the real deal in this combo...tazorac is like the topical accutane...it works the same way as accutane with almost no side effects other than drying of skin...which skin gets used to in like a month....i hope .

Pros:
  • helped clear my cystic acne.
  • combination antibiotic are always better than the individual ones
  • i think p.acne has least resistance to this drug compared to other antibiotics
  • this is a good alternative to try before isotretinoin/accutane
Cons:
  • may not be sufficient all by itself, i had to use tazorac with this one, well....this is really not a con...it is just more effective this way
  • some people may be allergic to this, not me.

16 out of 26 people found this review helpful

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Inactive ingredients:
Docusate sodium 85%, sodium benzoate 15%, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.

Member reviews

By on

I went to the doctor for some problems non-acne related. I was put on Criprofloxacin, turned out I was allergic and was rushed to ER. After all that, I was then put on Bactrim. Well, all of sudden my acne started clearing and up and I wasn't getting new pimples or anything. I go Acne.org and found out Bactrim could be used for acne. That was a surprise to me and my mother. :D

Pros

• Skin cleared in days.
  • Skin feels so soft.
  • Cheap at Walmart.

Cons

• Upset Stomach
  • Cramps
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I find this a very helpful drug. Although a few days in and I began experiencing extreme heat flashes and i did sweat more when exercising, I'm a guy so it cant be anything nature related. also another thing i experienced was extreme lightheadedness and it doesn't cooperate with soft drinks very much. also when reading about things that can occur like steven-johnson syndrome it is very unlikely so dint worry unless you get exxtreme symptoms... but it works very well!!!

Pros

• cleared most acne fast
  • cheap
  • simple

Cons

• serious side effects can occur
  • acne will get worse before it gets better
  • may require assistance from topical creams
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 20

By on

I was really excited to try this medication given the glowing reviews of my new dermatologist and the fact that I've been given every other antibiotic under the sun. I only had a few cysts when I started the medicine. I had great success with doxycycline, but the effects wore off and if anything, my acne has only worsened over time using antibiotics. I'm extremely disappointed because Bactrim left my skin broken out all over the place, with huge painful cysts and nodules. My derm thinks it may have caused an overgrowth of resistant bacteria, but she is confirming that with a culture swab. Now I am left to try Accutane at the age of 27, and I'm completely frightened, but going to go through with it. I tried natural methods of clearing acne as well, for many years, and nothing has been able to clear me. I would say, stick to the tetracycline family for acne and do not venture into these extreme antibiotics...they may only disrupt your flora and cause super-infections. :(

Pros

• Helped with some inflammation and infection, but not all
  • No stomach pains or diarrhea

Cons

• Did not clear my acne. In fact, it worsened it and I ended up with severe nodulocystic acne
  • severe
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

with in the first few days it cleared all the tiny little bumps on my forehead! and i was excited but it didnt nothing for the rest of my face and now the bumps on my forehead are back and the rest of my skin has just gotten worse. im so disappointed because i saw so many great reviews on this! I'm gonna keep taking this though. I've been using it for a little over 2 weeks i think

Pros

• None so far

Cons

• I've gotten a ton new zits since i started this.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I only took this for 3 months but it did a decent job while I took it. I had horribly, huge cysts (half dollar size) and this helped with all the infection. All my cysts went down in size. Even more awesome, I didn't get yeast infections while on this.

I still ended up on Accutane but this helped out a lot while I waited to get on Accutane.

Pros

• Got rid of the infection
  • Cheap even with no insurance

Cons

• Didn't get rid of it all but it was pretty bad
  • severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 16
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have had acne to varying degrees since I was about 13. I have tried everything, including accutane (which, for the record, did not really clear my skin, but the doc said it would sort of "re-sensitize it" so that things that previously didn't work may work after taking it). Once I finished the accutane, my doc put me back on low dose Bactrim. I told her we were wasting time because we tried it when I was younger and it didn't work. I was wrong. My skin was perfect in a week, and I was able to keep it that way by taking the Bactrim just once every other day!

Pros

• This stuff worked great for me...it kept my skin clear for about 2 years on a low maintenance dose. Very easy to take, no dry skin, and no side effects that I noticed.

Cons

• I had to give it up when I got pregnant, and cannot go back on it while I am nursing my baby. So, I had terrible skin while pregnant, and it's terrible now. Absolutely worth it for a healthy baby, but it's not much fun to look in the mirror.
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 9

By on

I have had acne since I was about 13. I had a normal amount of confidence in myself until I got acne and no one else did. I dealt with my acne for years using different antibiotics, ranging from tetracycline, minocycline, and most recently solodyn. Also i have been on plenty of topical like benzyl peroxide and others. I really let my acne take control of me by not wanting to go hang out with friends or do certain things because i hated when people would look at my acne and not at me! Now im 18 and im on this sulfamethoxazole, i am more confident than ever before and my acne is no longer an issue. Its a great product for those who dont have extremely bad acne, but yet still have noticeable bumps or pimples on their face. It helped me greatly!!!!

Pros

• DEFINITIVELY WORKS. I have been on it for a couple of weeks and within a week i could see noticeable differences. I have had maybe 4 to 6 new bumps on my face and within a day or two its almost like they are gone!!

Cons

• I have to take it twice a day and i forget to take it in the morning sometimes... haha. Haven't had a problem yet.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This is a very effective product it kills the bacteria in your system which causes severe pimples. I occasionally get one or two but those are now cleared up as well :)

Pros

• HELPS!! A great medication tht ACTUALLY works. 2-3 days of using this medicine I see results my acne has dried up and my skin is cleared. highly recommend you use this!

Cons

• So far NONE.
  • moderate
  • for a day or two
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

For a year I was absolutely miserable with my cystic acne; it was painful and unsightly, as I'm sure many of you know already. I went to my

dermatologist and he said Bactrim was the last thing we would try before I would need to start Accutane. Hearing him say that was devastating, so I hoped Bactrim would work. I started in May of 2010. Summer was a little tough for me, the acne got worse at first and I was so unhappy. However, by the end of July and beginning of August, my skin was beginning to clear. I no longer had cysts, I had baby whiteheads if anything. By the beginning of school, my skin was clear and I have had clear skin ever since. I receive tons of compliments on my skin and the other day when I wasnt wearing makeup, my friend asked me if I was wearing foundation because my skin looked so good. Listen to me, I've tried everything. Bactrim was the best decision of my life.

Pros

• cleared my cystic acne
  • best decision of my life

Cons

• doesnt work right away.. took about two months for me to start seeing results
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I still get a pimple or two but not as frequently and this stuff has really made my skin softer. It took about a month to really kick in though, so stay patient.

Pros

• Skin was less oily, now has a glow about it!
  • Under the skin pimples are gone and my cystic acne

Cons

• I did not see instant results like other people have had
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.