Bactrim/ Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic

Average price: $11.54

Brand: Bactrim/

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Baltimore, MD on 10/12/2012

it worked...took some time...may be like 2 weeks to see results....i use it with tazorac topical (0.1% dose)...i think tazorac is the drug that is really doing the magic....but since tazorac could take upto 12 weeks to see results...this combination would like kick start the results i guess.... before this combo, i tried minocycline(2x100mg)/day with benzaclin in the am, tretinoin/differin before bed.....i have oily skin with moderately severe cystic acne on face...there would be like couple of them on face, when they settle down, another 2/3 in a different area of face would slowly show-up, also severe scalp acne, aka folliculitis...if you are an athlete like me, you know what i am talking about..caused by all the sweat..anyways...this would leave bad scars with big dark spots...mino with all these topicals never worked for me...i would work only when i am taking them...then my derm would tell me reduce the mino doasge...then within next 2 days..the acne would come back...so this was really not working for a long term basis...i took them for like 4/5 years...lost patience like million times during these years...changed 4 derms....they all kept prescribing the same combo and asked me to be patient.....eventually i changed derm...the new doctor immediately changed to bactrim(generic..too long name to type-in..lol) with tazorac....it is working because i started lowering my dose...and the acne has not come back yet...which wasnt the case with mino and its combo topicals....big relief.....i am scarred to go into accutane-generic b'cos of all the article i read....esp. the joint pains...joint pain are a big NO NO for weight lifters... bottom line, this is a good drug to try out before accutane....please ask doctor to try with tazorac...because thats the real deal in this combo...tazorac is like the topical accutane...it works the same way as accutane with almost no side effects other than drying of skin...which skin gets used to in like a month....i hope .

Pros:
  • helped clear my cystic acne.
  • combination antibiotic are always better than the individual ones
  • i think p.acne has least resistance to this drug compared to other antibiotics
  • this is a good alternative to try before isotretinoin/accutane
Cons:
  • may not be sufficient all by itself, i had to use tazorac with this one, well....this is really not a con...it is just more effective this way
  • some people may be allergic to this, not me.

16 out of 26 people found this review helpful

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Inactive ingredients:
Docusate sodium 85%, sodium benzoate 15%, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.

Member reviews

By on

i had cystic acne for almost a year and it was very bad so i went to the derm and he gave me this and it started working the first day i took it and about in a month it was all gone but after awhille it will kinda came back here and there so i also take zinc vitamin witch works very well for acne! so over all this is perfect for severe cystic acne suffers works fast and very cheap

Pros

• works fast clears cystic acne up well

Cons

• it sorta stops working
  • severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

If you are not allergic to Sulfa drugs and do not develop SJS, then it might work well for your acne. I personally do not think it's worth the risk. I wish I had researched SJS before taking this. The pictures were too disturbing to even look at. This is a very serious and potentially deadly condition and you need to be hospitalized in most situations.

Pros

• My skin started clearing within the 11 days I took it, and my skin was less oily.

Cons

• I developed an allergic reaction on the 11th day and got hives on my upper arms and foot and had a rash covering most of my body. Thank God I did not have Steven-Johnson Syndrome.
  • moderate
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Bactrim worked great for me the first couple of times I took it for acne. It cleared my skin relatively quickly during the first two courses (about 10-14 days), but the third course was a complete failure and may have actually exacerbated my acne.

Prior to the third course of Bactrim, I had never experienced any known allergic reactions to the drug. However, the third time I took it, about three weeks in, I developed a rash on my chest and behind my ears. I stopped it that day and never went back on the drug. The rash lingered for a couple of days, disappeared and then reappeared for a few days a couple of weeks later (likely because the Bactrim was still in my system). Meanwhile, my acne began noticeably improving (it seemed to only be getting worse while I was taking the Bactrim) and is nearly erradicated as I write this. (No, I do not believe Bactrim was the cause of my acne, but I do think it may have made it worse due to my apparent allergy to the drug). I attribute these signs of allergy to Bactrim because there was no other change in my lifestyle at the time and, indeed, the rash appeared right after I took the Bactrim and long before I had anything to eat that day. There really is no other explanation and rashes are apparently a common side effect of Bactrim (presumably b/c a lot of people are allergic to it).

Overall, I think Bactrim is a great drug to take for a short term solution to your acne woes, but I would not say it is a permanent fix given its potential to lose its efficacy and the chance that you may develop an allergy to it over time. Also, long-term use of antibiotics appears to be damaging to the liver and may affect your ability to fight off future infections. I have been told by multiple pharmacists and doctors that Bactrim is one of the antibiotics you particularly do not want to become immune to given that is is used to treat so many different infections (all of which likely pose a greater risk to your health than acne).

Pros

• works well to clear acne in short period of time; though tablet form is large, it dissolves rather easily in your mouth when divided into sections and taken with water (it seems flavorless, as well), i.e., if you have trouble swallowing pills, you can still take this drug rather easily : )

Cons

• possible development of allergy to drug; possible development of resistance to drug; adverse health effects resulting from long term use (esp. related to immune system, liver); big pill (but see "pros")
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

My acne is average and its dun nothing maybe worst tbh

Pros

• Nothing

Cons

• Horrible tablets to take
  • Dont work
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 7.2
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

it was amazing at first but if you try it make sure to schedule an appointment with your doctor if it stops working soyou can quikily get on another medication to keep away your acne :)

Pros

• I used this for about about 2 MonTHS And OMFG IT got rid of my acne within a week and everything was fine for a while.

Cons

• However after the second month my skin built and immunity to it and it stopped working ://///
  • moderately severe
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

cont... HIVES red bumps everywhere, itchy eyes, stomach cramping, nausea, diarrhea, weakness, shortness of breath. Even after I stopped taking it , it took over 5 days for the disgusting rash to even begin to disapear. Id rather have zits than die!

Pros

• NONE

Cons

• Gave me stevens-johnson syndrome, scariest experience of my life! i have never had drug allergies so I did not know what to think in the beginning. If this is an allergy you do not know you have this is how it works... The first day you take it you are fine- the second time your body develops IGE antibodies to make your body think something is attacking it, The comes the flu like symptoms---aches, terrible immobilizing pains, joint stiffness sharp pain, headaches, high fevers 102+ hives
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Ive been on accutane before, and my skin was clear for about 7 months after the treatment. But it started coming back lightly but it was really bothering me and i wanted to go back on accutane but my derm told me to try Bactim DS in combination with Aczone... and this stuff works! I think its a combo of both that works really good! So i would recommend trying both of these at the same time, its def worth a shot... the azcone can be pricey but ask your derm for a discount coupon thats what i did and it was a lot cheaper!

Pros

• Easy to Take
  • Cleared up acne within 1 week
  • Prevents Breakouts

Cons

• Have to take twice a day on an empty stomach
  • have to drink lots of water on it
  • Increased alcohol sensitivity
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 3

By on

By the grace of God i have not had to pay for these prescriptions because they were covered by insurance..

Pros

• Cleared my acne but not all the way for like a month or 2. If this is the one i took.. It was like sorta big white and powdert chalky pill..

Cons

• None that i remember except for the fact that it stopped working after my acne became resistant to it...
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I took this pill 2x a day for 1 month. It did absolutely nothing for my acne. I still had just as many acne breakouts while taking the drug. The only good thing is I didn't have an allergic reaction to the sulfur in the drug. I guess I am one of those people who it just doesn't work for, which sucks because I was really hoping it would have worked. I wanted the same results as so many people on this site had. If it works for you, great! If it doesn't it's a waste of time. Luckily I have insurance so it was free to take for me.

Pros

• Nothing

Cons

• Large pill
  • Made me very tired
  • Did nothing for my acne
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Bactrim works, it clears up cystic acne relatively quickly in conjunction with topicals (Benzoyl Peroxide; Retin A). Does increase sensitivity to the sun and has numerous side effects(especially with those persons who are sulphur intolerant).

Pros

• Works
  • Fast acting

Cons

• Causes indigestion
  • Has various side effects - itchy skin, sinsus
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.