Page 2 of Bactrim/Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic reviews

Brand: Bactrim/Septra

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Inactive ingredients:
Docusate sodium 85%, sodium benzoate 15%, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.

worked in one month
Reviewed on October 18, 2013

Bactrim is an oral antibiotic typically used to treat infections. My dermatologist prescribed it to me on a whim because the tetracycline medications weren't working for me and I didn't want to go on accutane just yet because I have problems with depression and it's just a hassle going to there doctor every month.

I saw results in one month of using bactrim. I was able to start using less acne products and miss washing my face without breaking out. My face became way less oily and now I'm only left with acne marks that are left behind from all the pimples. For this, I'm using acne.org's AHA product because it increases cell turnover and exfoliates the top layers of the skin. Hopefully it will work!

My Acne Cure!
Reviewed on July 4, 2013

After trying everything on the market including Accutane, I can safely say this is the best drug to treat acne with minimal to no side effects (for me at least). Literally within a day I can see the results. I am so glad I finally found my cure for acne. Not only does it clear acne, but it also prevents sinus infections which I tend to get often.

Monocycline vs Ceptra
Reviewed on June 19, 2013

I will be 30yrs old this Nov. & I've been dealing with acne my entire life. 2wks ago I mentioned to my doc that I can't stand it anymore. My face is always broke out, they leave horrible scars & to make it worse.. When it would start to clear up, It would only break out again. Also, I was getting horrible & painful ingrown hairs all over my legs. Being its now summer, I couldn't stand wearing pants all summer.

So my doc said "let's try this medication called Monocycline for a week & if it works, we'll go from there." First few days were fine & noticed my face & legs starting to heal up. But then I started waking up in the morning, my hands & arms were tingling & swollen. At first thought maybe I slept wrong & had a pinched nerve. So had my husband rub my shoulders, it got a little better that day. But then the next few days the tingling got worst. One day when I was at work, (at Lowes) watering & attending to my plants & flowers as normal. I started sweating profusely, got dizzy, had a headache, my arms were tingling worse than the last few days. I just did NOT feel good at all. So I went home, went online & looked up symptoms of the medication. Sure enough, everything that was listed as serious, I was experiencing.

After talking with my doc, we decided to start something new in a week.

I've been on Septra for 3 days & already I can tell my acne & ingrown hairs diminishing. I have had a few headaches & joint pain, but that's something I'm used to.

So, so far so good!

Good luck to everyone & remember, not everyones body is the same! So for someone who had a horrible reaction, it could work great for another.

Monocycline vs Ceptra
Reviewed on June 19, 2013

After talking with my doc, we decided to start something new in a week.

So, so far so good!

Reviewed on April 6, 2013

I've always had light-moderate acne and it started flaring up after my college graduation. I've got sick of it coming and going so I was prescribed the drug in hopes to get rid of it once and for all (at least for a long while). It got worse before it got better and left horrible scars. Before, I would get breakouts and it would go away in a few days without any fuss, but after starting this routine, there was hyperpigmentation of the scars which I've never gotten before and not only that, these scars left deep imprints into my skin. My acne disappeared for a few months after I finished the cycle, but now my skin is acting up again. These results are definitely not worth it and I wish I've never gotten started on this routine.

Reviewed on March 15, 2013

I would recommend this for sure. However, this is a sulfa drug-- something that people are allergic to. I have a feeling that a lot of the negative reviews here are from people that didn't realize that they were allergic to sulfa medication.

Reviewed on December 29, 2012

It cleared me up great when no other antibiotic worked. Eventually stopped working. Try this before going on accutane to give you a head start and you mostly likely won't have an IB from accutane.

Reviewed on November 29, 2012

Bactrim was the last/latest antibiotic my dermatologist put me on. It worked VERY quickly and cleared up my skin in about a week, it was literally the clearest it had been probably since the time before when I was on antibiotics. However, this only lasted a short while and I started getting cystic acne, which I rarely ever get. After my third or maybe fourth cyst I decided that the Bactrim was causing this and I stopped taking it immediately (which, by the way, don't ever listen to the instructions that you are supposed to consult your doctor before stopping medication. That is just a ploy to make more money off you for a doctor's visit) and wouldn't you know it, NO MORE CYSTS. It all culminated with me getting one of the largest if not THE largest zit i've ever had on my forehead, from which I still have a scar (a couple scars really, because one cyst led to another). So I do not think Bactrim or any antibiotic is the way to go, they may help for a while but they never solve your problems and in fact they are very bad for your body. I have started taking probiotics in hopes of reversing the damage all the antibiotics probably did to my digestive system. Also you have to get used to having diarrhea every day of your life, but I already have that so I am used to it. I am 100% convinced that doctors do not wish to fix your problems but rather treat them so you are never cured and you have to keep going back so that doctors and pharmaceutical companies make lots of money off you. Everything, EVERYTHING is about money, which holds higher value than people. There is no hope for the human race and I pray for its destruction every night and day.