Bactrim/ Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic reviews

Brand: Bactrim/

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Inactive ingredients:
Docusate sodium 85%, sodium benzoate 15%, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and pregelatinized starch.

Bactrim Review
Reviewed on October 3, 2014

I am 26 and since about 15 I have been dealing with acne on and off. At certain times my acne has been manageable, other times I would be pretty clear for a few weeks at a time, and then other times I would hide inside and skip going out with friends. I understand that acne takes an emotional toll on you, and if I can help by providing reviews to others that's just what i'll do! Bactrim has always been my quick fix for my acne. Seriously within 1-2 days I do not have any new blemishes popping up. At least that has always been the case for me and I hope that continues to be the case. (knock on wood) All of my existing acne dries up for me as well. For me the Bactrim seems to settle well with me too. I do not notice I feel any different, my skin just keeps clearing. Right now I am dealing with painful zits on my lower part of my face. (chin & jawline, sometimes neck) The zits are not quite cysts but still hurt!! So Bactrim has helped me. The only problem is eventually your body does get used to antibiotics and it technically isn't that great to be on antibiotics constantly. I don't think my body has ever got used to bactrim I just usually stop taking it because I don't like to be on antibiotics every single day of my life. My goal right now is to get my skin clear with Bactrim then try to start spironolactone since my acne seems to be hormonal now a days. So in conclusion 5 stars for Bactrim for a real quick healing of you acne. Bactrim is great if you have a special event or something, and you want to get rid of your pesky spots quick.

Allergic reaction
Reviewed on August 22, 2014

When I first went to the dermatologist for my acne I was prescribed this product. I only took a days worth before I had an allergic reaction to it. My skin broke out in hives and my throat and joints swelled up. It never got the opportunity to do anything to my acne so I can't comment on that aspect but I would caution others to be careful when taking this product.

(For anyone curious I had to get a steroid injection and then an oral prescription to combat the allergic reaction.)

Bactrim DS - took a long time to work, but well worth the wait.
Reviewed on October 29, 2013

In late 2011 (at 28 years of age), I started getting terrible Acne on my face. I tried every herbal remedy, herbs and vitamins that supposedly help Acne, topical creams and everything over the counter one could dream of. Nothing worked and my face was becoming worse by the day. In April 2012, I saw my dermatologist who said my acne was cystic and severe - he prescribed Bactrim DS on the spot. He told me results vary - some people get lucky and find it clears their skin in only a few short weeks, however some people need to wait much longer than that...I was the latter.

My face and acne stayed in the same horrific state for quite some time - it was only in July 2012 that I started noticing a real difference. I was still getting acne, but it wasn't as inflamed (no pus or yellow heads) and it would go away much faster than usual. My skin continued to slowly improve and by Christmas 2012, my face was clear and it's remained that way :) - apart from the odd spot around 'that time of the month' - which I dare note complain about is it's NOTHING compared to a face full of swollen, painful, embarrassing Acne.

In conjunction with the Bactrim DS, I used Benzac face wash and only moisturised every now and then. These days I'm still taking Bactrim DS and using Neutrogena's Power Clean Face wash - which is amazing as it's faded my Acne scars by about 70% over the last 7 months or so.

I can't recommend Bactrim DS highly enough - however you MUST be willing to be patient. Don't just stop taking it after a few months if you find your skin isn't improving. I'd say give it a good 4 months and if you notice absolutely no improvement, then go and see your derm and discuss other options. Also, keep in mind that some people are VERY allergic to this medication so make sure you know the risks and what to expect just in case you react to it. I was pretty nervous the first time I took this as I had read about so many peoples scary reactions...but I took a leap of faith and I've never looked back :)

worked in one month
Reviewed on October 18, 2013

Bactrim is an oral antibiotic typically used to treat infections. My dermatologist prescribed it to me on a whim because the tetracycline medications weren't working for me and I didn't want to go on accutane just yet because I have problems with depression and it's just a hassle going to there doctor every month.

I saw results in one month of using bactrim. I was able to start using less acne products and miss washing my face without breaking out. My face became way less oily and now I'm only left with acne marks that are left behind from all the pimples. For this, I'm using acne.org's AHA product because it increases cell turnover and exfoliates the top layers of the skin. Hopefully it will work!

My Acne Cure!
Reviewed on July 4, 2013

After trying everything on the market including Accutane, I can safely say this is the best drug to treat acne with minimal to no side effects (for me at least). Literally within a day I can see the results. I am so glad I finally found my cure for acne. Not only does it clear acne, but it also prevents sinus infections which I tend to get often.

Monocycline vs Ceptra
Reviewed on June 19, 2013

I will be 30yrs old this Nov. & I've been dealing with acne my entire life. 2wks ago I mentioned to my doc that I can't stand it anymore. My face is always broke out, they leave horrible scars & to make it worse.. When it would start to clear up, It would only break out again. Also, I was getting horrible & painful ingrown hairs all over my legs. Being its now summer, I couldn't stand wearing pants all summer.

So my doc said "let's try this medication called Monocycline for a week & if it works, we'll go from there." First few days were fine & noticed my face & legs starting to heal up. But then I started waking up in the morning, my hands & arms were tingling & swollen. At first thought maybe I slept wrong & had a pinched nerve. So had my husband rub my shoulders, it got a little better that day. But then the next few days the tingling got worst. One day when I was at work, (at Lowes) watering & attending to my plants & flowers as normal. I started sweating profusely, got dizzy, had a headache, my arms were tingling worse than the last few days. I just did NOT feel good at all. So I went home, went online & looked up symptoms of the medication. Sure enough, everything that was listed as serious, I was experiencing.

After talking with my doc, we decided to start something new in a week.

I've been on Septra for 3 days & already I can tell my acne & ingrown hairs diminishing. I have had a few headaches & joint pain, but that's something I'm used to.

So, so far so good!

Good luck to everyone & remember, not everyones body is the same! So for someone who had a horrible reaction, it could work great for another.

Monocycline vs Ceptra
Reviewed on June 19, 2013

After talking with my doc, we decided to start something new in a week.

So, so far so good!

Reviewed on April 6, 2013

I've always had light-moderate acne and it started flaring up after my college graduation. I've got sick of it coming and going so I was prescribed the drug in hopes to get rid of it once and for all (at least for a long while). It got worse before it got better and left horrible scars. Before, I would get breakouts and it would go away in a few days without any fuss, but after starting this routine, there was hyperpigmentation of the scars which I've never gotten before and not only that, these scars left deep imprints into my skin. My acne disappeared for a few months after I finished the cycle, but now my skin is acting up again. These results are definitely not worth it and I wish I've never gotten started on this routine.

Reviewed on March 15, 2013

I would recommend this for sure. However, this is a sulfa drug-- something that people are allergic to. I have a feeling that a lot of the negative reviews here are from people that didn't realize that they were allergic to sulfa medication.