Azelex Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream reviews

3.9/5 - 217 reviews

Brand: Azelex

Azelaic Acid (20%).

Cetearyl octanoate; glycerin; glyceryl stearate and cetearyl alcohol and cetyl palmitate and cocoglycerides; PEG-5 glyceryl stearate; propylene glycol; and purified water. Benzoic acid is present as a preservative.

Azelex Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream

The best thing I've ever used!
Reviewed on July 17, 2016

I've struggled with acne since I was about 21 when I was diagnosed with rosacea and have tried SO many different products/methods to try and shift it. I had great success with BP originally, but my skin became intolerant to it, the same thing happened with Differin after initial good results. Skip forward a couple of years and my acne is back to where it was before I started any kind of treatment, I am now approaching 31 years of age and figured I'd exhausted all of my options with regards to clearing my skin.

Then I discovered azelaic acid (skinoren brand), completely by chance and thought I may as well give it a go. After only 4 weeks I started to notice the difference, I usually have approximately 5 cysts around my jaw at any one time of the month (at their worst before my period), and many smaller pimples covering the rest of my face, after approximately week 4 I noticed they weren't as angry as usual, and that as they were clearing there didn't seem to be any new ones forming to take their place. Once they had healed, and since around week 5 of treatment ... absolutely nothing! All that is left is 1 very tiny pimple which is almost healed, and my skin has never looked so smooth. It's also worth mentioning that I experienced absolutely no side effects with this product, no itching, no dryness, no flaking, no purging, nothing.

I'm not sure how it works in other countries but in the UK this is available to purchase online without a doctors visit (just an online 'consultation'), for £15, which is only about £7 more than an normal prescription from a GP, but saves the inconvenience of taking time off work, trying to book/go to an appointment etc.

Personally I cannot recommend azelaic acid highly enough :)

Eh
Reviewed on July 16, 2016

I certainly do not recommend this product! Before starting I would get a few pimples on my forehead but after using Azelex I have now had pimples everywhere. I also noticed a lot of whiteheads while using it as well as no improvement in my scarring. Please don't be discouraged by this review but be warned!!!! This didn't work for me but it might work for you, remember to never give up and stay persistent!❤️

Anyone willing to sell theirs?
Reviewed on July 5, 2016

Would anyone be willing to sell me their Azelex acid cream? I Heard this product works wonders and would be willing to buy it from someone. I don't have insurance so I can't get it! Help please!

Um okay,I guess.
Reviewed on April 30, 2016

My doc gave it to me mainly because of red marks(which later turned out to be Post Inflammatory Erythema)..Didn't really use it on spots since I was on Topical clindamycin HCL.Helps PIH a great deal.However,recently,I found it to be doing well on cystic and pustular lesions.

Works extremely well on cystic acne!
Reviewed on February 7, 2016

Azelaic acid seems to work amazing well on deep cystic acne, lessening the inflammation and clearing it up or bringing it to a whitehead in a matter of 3-4 days! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on inflammatory acne for me. I highly recommend this product!

Goodbye comedy red nose
Reviewed on August 9, 2015

Had rosecea for years,spots and broken skin on my nose with redness... anti biotics didn't work, it was starting to get me down a bit so I self prescribed myself with a tube of azeliac acid from eBay, worth atry for 8 English pounds I thought, I cleanse my skin before bed and apply the cream, washing it off in the morning, within a week the rosecea was totally gone, I now cleanse and apply every other night, I now have a worry free social calendar, no more worrying about going out with a nose like coco the clown!

Wonder Drug
Reviewed on July 21, 2015

I have had Rosacea for many years. I take antibiotics two times a day and have used Metrojel 1 percent with no relief. I felt so frustrated because it just got worse. My internist told me there was nothing else that could be done at this time. I received a coupon in the mail for $30.00 for a new product called Azelex Acid. I asked my doctor to write a prescription. With insurance I paid $130.00. I have used it only 5 days and already my skin is improving. I can't believe it. My skin has cleared up and is soft and smooth. The redness and pimples are gone. It is worth every penny.

by NicolaD on 07/28/2015 00:01
I've been using Azelaic acid for a couple of weeks. No improvement yet. I'm shocked that you have to pay so much. In the UK, all prescriptions cost about £8, regardless of the medication. I know the cost to the NHS is only about £3.50 per tube. It's a really cheap drug. I'm really hoping that there's a cheaper way for you to purchase this.
try my routine instead for cycstic acne
Reviewed on October 28, 2014

I am 28 year old female and still used to get weekly ance. I do get deep cystic acne every once in a while. I started a new regiment 4 weeks (Listed Below) ago and by the looks of it I finally have clear skin with no signs of new pimples or cysts emerging:

Took me years to find the right products for me - I have very sensitive skin

My Skin Regiment:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (AM/PM)

Citrus Clear Sensitive Moisturizer

Citrus Clear Grapefruit Spot Treatment

Fish Oil - pills (AM only)

Other Things to Consider when trying to achieve great skin - Probably the most important too

64 - 128 oz of Water Daily

6 - 8 Hrs of Sleep a Night

1 Hr of Exercise per day (5 per/week)

by jgoulett on 08/19/2015 12:07
Hello! Drop Cetaphil and go with something like Circadia Lipid Replacing Cleansing Gel. Cetaphil blocks pores. The rest of your plan is pretty cool. Good for you!
LOVE it!
Reviewed on October 21, 2014

Birth-control pills made a HUGE difference in my cystic acne (life-changing), but I recently stopped taking it because I'm going to start trying to get pregnant soon. Before I was off the BC, I saw a dermatologist who recommended I try Azelex for some melasma as well as a way to treat the impending acne (it's baby-safe). I'm only two weeks off the BC, and so far I've had just 3 tiny bumps on my chin (which is my most problematic area). I realize it's still early days, but the Azelex has also made my skin so smooth and soft! It burned a little only the first time, and I've been applying it at night all over my face and then again on my chin in the mornings. I have GREAT insurance, and it still cost me $150/tube, but I think it might be worth it. If you can afford the price, DEFINITELY GIVE IT A TRY!

by MissLMI on 04/17/2015 04:11
Have you ever looked at a state-wide Prescription Savings Card? Even if you're insured, sometimes you can save TONS just by using the card instead of insurance. I live in Texas, & we have the Texas Drug Card. I looked up tretinoin cream for my Godmother, who is over age 34 & her insurance won't cover the cream, & using the card I was able to help her get it for $7. (I looked up Azelex & in TX, for example, using the card's coverage would make it $18. Amazeballs!) The cards can be used by anyone - insured & non-insured people alike. I see them a lot at hospitals & doctors offices. Your state card may be something to look into. Just a heads up! (& thanks for the review! I'm going to ask my PCP if she can put me on this next time I see her. Lol.)
by Wild Heart on 07/06/2015 15:44
Try ordering this cream online from Australia to save heaps!! I only pay AUD $12-$15 at my local Pharmacy. The brand I use is by ego and it's called AZ Clear Lotion from memory it's 20% Azaleaic. I stopped using mine after starting a new skin care range and my skin flared up so I'm back using it twice a day and my skin is perfect and clear.. good luck! HTH
Fingers Crossed... 2 Weeks
Reviewed on March 30, 2014

This thing is so good !! Cleared up my back and the acne kind of stopped! I can sleep on my back now Yay!! The only thing I don't like is I can't stand to put this on my face, it stings Alooot!! Will update!