Azelex Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream

Recommended by 85% of visitors

Average price: $36.40

Most helpful review

By Jon, Oregon on 01/03/2013

Very impressed! I was kinda of concerned with the other reviews, thinking my breakouts would get much worse, they did not. Not kidding,By the first use I saw an improvement,not something I can say about any other product. Try it, you will be impressed, do not over use..

Pros:
  • Worked very fast, did not cause big cystic pimples.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful

Azelaic Acid (20%).

Cetearyl octanoate; glycerin; glyceryl stearate and cetearyl alcohol and cetyl palmitate and cocoglycerides; PEG-5 glyceryl stearate; propylene glycol; and purified water. Benzoic acid is present as a preservative.

Member reviews

By on

I love this stuff. My doctor prescribed it to me to use in the morning with my Benzoyl Peroxide and since that time I've noticed a difference in my skin. My skin went from having several new pimples a day to one or two a week. It stings a little and leaves the skin a but sticky to the touch BUT putting the benzoyl peroxide on after really helps. I also use Retin-A at night alone. I started at the same time at the Azelaic Acid so I think it's all three together.

Pros

• WORKS! And quickly.

Cons

• Leaves skin a little sticky
  • Stings a bit
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I came off the pill to conceive and my teenage acne that I left 10 years behind me reappeared! Because I was trying to conceive there were very few options open to me- I took erythromycin but added this to my regime and it made a big difference. I wanted to recommend this to anyone in the same position. It stings a little but no redness or peeling and should be used twice a day for max results. Im hooked until I can start back on Dianette! Also- maxfactor 24 hour concealer is brilliant for spots.

Pros

• One of the only acne treatments you can use whilst pregnant / trying to conceive

Cons

• Topical is less convenient than tablet options- makeup application over this is less good than over a primer
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've used retin-A, clindamycin, benzaclin, and azelex over the years and azelex is the only one I still use. My derm prescribed it because benzaclin was making me peel like crazy, and once I switched all the redness and flakiness went away. I don't think it controls major cystic acne, but for those in their mid-twenties who still suffer from breakouts azelex is perfect. I always forget how much of a difference it makes until I run out and have to wait to see the doctor to get a new prescription. When I stop using it I get the same old breakouts I used to get.

I would definitely recommend it for those with mild-moderate adult acne. My skin can't take any of my other prescription products anymore and I think the Azelex is gentler but just as effective for me.

Pros

• Clears red marks over time
  • absorbs quickly and easily

Cons

• stinging upon initial application
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 35
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used this for a month and it didn't help at all. It didn't make things worse but it didn't help them either. But that doesn't mean it won't work for you what I learned is everyone is different and will respond differently so you just gotta keep trying and see what works for you.

Pros

• Goes on smooth and clear
  • Makes skin feel soft
  • Kinda moisturizing

Cons

• Didn't help at all
  • Kinda made skin a little more oily
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 200
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

My skin has been a NIGHTMARE since using this. DO NOT USE THIS. I read a review or two with people claiming similar results and I shrugged them aside. I thought, "That won't be me!" Well, it was me and I feel horrible now. :'(

Pros

• NOTHING

Cons

• This RUINED MY SKIN. I had a standard case of mild acne before trying this. While using it, all of my small pimples seemed to go away, but HUGE PAINFUL CYSTIC pimples cropped up on my cheeks. I used this for a month, thinking I was allowing some kind of purging process to occur and it would get better. I WAS HORRIBLY WRONG. I stopped using this about 2 months ago. Since then, I have had the ugliest and worst skin of my life. The pimples that happened while using this multiplied.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 150
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

It is not miracle cure, but I find this product much more effective than BP for me. Also with BP my chin and skin just turned red, and that kind of highlighted my acne and scars, rather than improve them.

I've been on Azelaic acid 20% for 6 months now. I really like it. It works. And I don't get redness on my face like before.

I find that it also prevents new breakouts. Before sports I would wash my face and put on the treatment, I find that this helps reduce new breakouts.

Pros

• Gentler than Benzoyl Peroxide products.
  • More effective (I found) than BP.
  • Doesn't cause redness on face.

Cons

• Minor sting at first, but goes away.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have used various versions of azelaic acid for 15 years and I loooove it. It stings for the first week or so, but after that, there is no discomfort. I use it morning and night with my BPO and it really keeps my skin from becoming red, which is important, because BPO on its own will make my old marks very red/purple. It also fades old marks and reduces flakiness.

My insurance does not cover it so I have been ordering it from various online pharmacies in faraway places. It usually costs me $50 for a four-month supply, which is not bad. I have not found a difference between any of the foreign 20% creams. I have never used the 15% gel.

Pros

• Moisturizes lightly
  • Fades marks
  • Reduces redness
  • Makes skin very soft
  • Prevents open zits from "regrowing" overnight

Cons

• Stings for the first week
  • Won't control inflamed/cystic acne on its own
  • Expensive depending on your insurance
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 18

By on

Give it time. In chronic or acute acne, you will always get worse as the product lifts what lies beneath to the surface. Once that occurs, you will begin to see improvement!

Tip: Wash your face well am and pm and apply. Go to bed with a dirty face....

Live with your acne!

Best of luck!

Pros

• Have been using for over 10 yrs! Wonderful product. Absolutely no side effects as others describe. Purchasing it as axelex in the US and skinorin in Italy, phenomenal ! I have tied the product from Mexico without success. I am a medical,professional specializing in non surgical medical treatments and enhancements and this product has consistently preformed the best in my clients!

Cons

• Non
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 75
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I do not recommend this product. I was on it for 7 weeks and it continuously made my skin worse. I have been off of it for 2 weeks now and my skin is STILL worse. Some of the pimples it created have been on my face for over a month and will not go away. I only had moderate acne at worst, and now I have big pimples that I have never had before. I was so disappointed because I really thought this product would work.

Pros

• Didn't overdry skin.

Cons

• Made my skin breakout worse than it had in years
  • Very Expensive
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 210
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I wish I didnt try azelex. My skin was looking pretty good before I went on it but I really wanted to get rid of those red mark..

I don't think what I had was an initial breakout since I got little bumps at the end of the 3rd week of use.

Pros

• fades red marks slightly (new ones)

Cons

• broke me out in small bumps after the fourth week, some of them have started to head.
  • left me with more red marks than before I used the cream.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.