Amoxicillin Oral Antibiotic

Recommended by 80% of visitors

Average price: $13.25

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, CA on 04/24/2012

Amoxicillin has worked for me, but still concerned about the long term effects so after my wedding (want clear skin for that special day) I will be actively searching for alternative solutions..

Pros:
  • I have been taking amoxicillin for over a year now because it does control my acne. I am not 100% clear, but I had about 90% improvement. My prescription is a two 250 mg twice a day and increasing the dose to three 250 mg twice a day when on my period (My acne acts up around my period). What I just listed is my original prescription but it has then decreased to one 250 mg twice a day.
Cons:
  • I am worried about what the long term effects of taking amoxicillin are. That's why I have reduced the dose (with my dermatologist's advise). I have been ok with the one 250 mg twice a day and when I start breaking out around my period, I increase the dose a bit. Another negative thing is that I recently developed a really bad yeast infection (1st one ever) and it took me a while to totally cure it. After doing research, I have a feeling that amoxicillin cause my yeast infection.

23 out of 43 people found this review helpful

Capsules
250 mg or 500 mg Amoxicillin as the Trihydrate.

Inactive ingredients:
D&C Red No. 28, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 40, gelatin, magnesium stearate, and titanium dioxide.

Tablets
500 mg or 875 mg Amoxicillin as the Trihydrate.

Inactive ingredients:
Colloidal silicon dioxide, crospovidone, FD&C Red No. 30 aluminum lake, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, sodium starch glycolate, and titanium dioxide.

Member reviews

“Works fast!!”
By on

I haven't been put on Amoxicillin for acne but within 3 days of taking the antibiotic my skin has started to clear up massively, on my face my back & chest with no new spots breaking out and the old ones are fading and having time to heal without still being infected. Can't believe it has worked so fast! I've been on amoxicillin in the past for tooth infections and also saw beneficial effects on my acne. It really works for acne but I'm not sure if a Dr or derm will prescribe this antibiotic for long term use for acne even though it really does work.

The only side effect I've seen has been an upset stomach so I've started taking a probiotic supplement.

Pros

• Works fast 2-3 days for visible improvements

Cons

• Not sure about long term acne use
  • Some side effects mainly upset stomach
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“My teen daughter”
By on

In just 3 days my daughter's severe acne was so, so much better.

Pros

• fast

Cons

• beware side effects, like all meds
  • for a day or two
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had clear skin for the first time in my life, not from doing anything special either just washing face once a day or whenever I really felt it needed washing. Clear for 1 year out of 13 felt great. Then took amoxicillian 2000mg/day 14 days for an abcsess and now my digestion, which was awesome, I could and always have eaten whatever I wanted, has turned to complete white. Getting ass loads of acne. Bottom line:may work short term,but your killing all your good guys, and they may never recover

Pros

• None

Cons

• Damaged gut flora
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

its great I recommend it.

Pros

• Kills bacteria that causes acne, and all other bactria in your body.
  • Works on papules, pastules and cysts
  • works really quickly, within a few weeks you see a huge difference
  • almost no side affects as other oral medicine.

Cons

• Doesn't work on its own, you need a cleanser to see improvement in a short time
  • doesnt work on white heads and white heads
  • MUST be prescribed.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 25

Not for acne.

Pros

• Helps a strep throat.

Cons

• Doesn't actually help with acne
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• It seems to be helping!

Cons

• awful stomach aches if you take it without food
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

its only good for whiteheads and blackheads it won't get rid of the angry red ones. but i had insurance so it was free:) also u feel quite sick on it i had diarrhea and nearly vomiting on the drug.

Pros

• Cures white heads

Cons

• does not get rid of anything other types of acne besides white heads
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

IF YOU HAVE CYSTIC SCARRING TYPE ACNE AMOXICILLIN IS A MUST

Pros

• WORKS TOTALLY. ENDS CYSTIC BREAKOUTS EVERYWHERE ON MY FACE AND BACK

Cons

• NONE
  • severe
  • for about a year
  • $ 8
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

• for more than a year

By on

I was prescribed amoxicillin for a throat infection for about a week, but one of the side effects turned out to be a clearing of my acne. However, amoxicillin isn't really prescribed as an acne treatment because it is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, meaning it will kill most of the bacteria in your body, good or bad. Minocycline and doxycycline are more commonly prescribed for acne.

Bottom line: it does work, but go ask your dermatologist for something less aggressive. Also, it is important to note that antibiotics, no matter what kind, are never a long-term solution for acne. Your dermatologist will help you develop a regimen that will probably consist of a combination of retinoids, antibiotics, and benzoyl peroxide.

Pros

• Clears acne short term

Cons

• Tough on stomach
  • Not a common treatment
  • Broad spectrum antibiotic
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.