Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion

Average price: $12.69

Brand: Alpha Hydrox

Most helpful review

By Xela, Auckland on 03/03/2013

I have only been using this a week but wow my skin looks awesome!! Give this a try if you suffer from redness and scarring, my skin glows!.

Pros:
  • Evens skin tone
  • Reduces Redness
  • Fades scars
  • Heals acne faster
Cons:
  • Stings A LOT the first time you use it
  • Leaves Residue so you can only use at night
  • Smells bad
  • Have to buy online
  • Not Cheap in NZ

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, PEG 40 Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Myristyl Myristate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, Cellulose Gum, Sorbic Acid (A Preservative), BHT, Imidazolidinyl Urea.

Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion, 6 fl oz
updated: 04/17/2014 08:21 UTC

Member reviews

By on

I've been using this stuff for about a week now and I really love it.

My skin took to it so nicely! I thought I would have to use it every other day as to not over do it but it didn't irritate my skin in any way.

I haven't broken out any more since I started using this and that was really the whole point so hurrah!

My skin looks so much healthier. It's less red, smoother and a lot softer. It's even evening out my skin tone.

It does burn very very slightly and my skin is a lot more sensitive to the sun but I just wear a sunscreen now!

Stay away from your mouth and eye area though. For some reason, it gave me a cold sore? Oh well.

I highly recommend!!!

Pros

• Improved texture of skin,
  • lessened redness,
  • lightened acne scars dramatically,
  • prevents new acne,
  • clears up existing acne quicker,
  • non-irritating,
  • left skin very soft and healthier.

Cons

• Can't go out in the sun without heavy spf,
  • burns slightly on first few applications,
  • dries with slight residue.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • $ 15

By on

I used this product for about a month (I wanted to give it time for my skin to pass what I thought was 'purging'). I think this is too intense for my skin, either that, or there are poor clogging qualities to this. The zits would dry up somewhat quickly but new ones sprouted almost daily. Finally decided to quit and go back to a BP face wash that (mostly) worked for me in the past.

Pros

• Made skin soft, helped reduce some red marks. Really got rid of any deep under the skin pimples (small cysts). Made zits dry up fast.

Cons

• Made me break out! I had tiny pimples everywhere. I figured this was purging but I was wrong.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

My back acne is a lot more stubborn than the facial acne, but I'm optimistic that I'll see results soon with the AHA.

Pros

• This gives an extra kick to the BP in the regimen.

Cons

• Takes a little bit longer to dry than the BP, so getting dressed in the AM and PM is a bit longer than without the regimen, but I'll sacrifice sleeping in for clearer skin!
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have used this lotion for over 6 months, and I have seen a dramatic change in the overall appearance of my skin. I use it every night on my face and back. I have less acne and my skin just glows. It is definitely the best product that I have found.

Pros

• prevents acne on face and back
  • makes skin feel so soft!

Cons

• none
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am in love with this product and the 12% Glycolic Acid Souffle. I have tried many natural remedies like turmeric, honey, olive oil.. but this product is the only thing that seems to be working for my skin. I have only used this product for about 2.5 weeks, but I am already noticing a big difference in the appearance of my skin. It looks healthy, feels soft, and looks bright and even. Also, since my skin is improving, I'm finding that it takes a lot less time to apply my makeup. I no longer need heavy foundation AND powder to cover my red spots. Instead, I dust a few layers of loose powder on my face, and I am ready to go. The recommended time to use this product is about 8-10 weeks, and I have only used it for *about* 3. I will continue using this product since I am already seeing results. I hope they never discontinue this or the souffle because I will continue to use both of those products to maintain the illuminated, radiant skin that I have now.

Pros

• combined w/ AHA souffle -> beautiful glowing skin
  • lightweight
  • absorbs easily, as long as you don't smear it on in large amounts
  • making my skin look much healthier and brighter
  • helps fade red marks left over from previous acne
  • gentle enough for dry skin
  • improving overall texture of my skin

Cons

• tingling sensation on face that last about 10-15 min.
  • smell is a little strong
  • light
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'd used this for a couple of years as part of a regimen - salacylic acid wash in the am, followed by a light Benzoyl Peroxide coating or spot treatment as needed. At night another sal acid wash then the Alpha Hydrox. After a while, I thought my skin had cleared up, so I stopped. Big mistake. I'm going to order more of this product and start up again. There is a BIG difference.

Pros

• reduces pimples and marks
  • helps to minimize wrinkles
  • Skin feels smoother/softer and looks brighter.

Cons

• increase in pimples over the first week or so
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

As someone with extremely sensitive skin I was concerned about my skins reaction to the lotion, but it has been a pleasant surprise. Overall my skin is smoother and my scarring and red spots have faded. The lotion is super moisturizing but I have found it has been a trade off to having smoother skin. Some of the reviews have mentioned the stinging that comes with using the lotion initially, I would just use the product like you would any new potentially invasive product--gradually and carefully (i.e., using at night for the first 2 weeks then moving to twice daily, avoid sensitive areas such as under and around the eyes, around the nostrils and the lips).

Pros

• Even skin tone, reducing scars and red marks from acne, minimal breakouts

Cons

• During flareups still required additional spot treatment, some sensitivity to sun which required an added sensitive skin/SPF (aveeno) product during day
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 11
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Great product (especially for the money). I usually buy department store products but they don't stand up against Alpha Hydrox. I used to use the oil free gel but the place that I buy it (Ulta) stopped carrying it the oil free. I switched the regular formula lotion and was worried that it would not work as well but that is not the case. It works just as well. I use Alpha Hydrox after I oil cleanse my face in the evening and in the morning I use a BHA (neutrogena) after I shower. I have an almost completely clear face. To be fair, I never had severe acne so I can't speak for how this would work for people that have it. All I know is that a lot of pesky blackheads and minor pimples are no longer a problem.

Pros

• Removes red spots. Smooths Skin. Diminishes blackheads.

Cons

• None so far.
  • for about a month
  • $ 8
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Good basic skin care with a little extra for them people that have to have it. I buy the packages which makes it easier. I used it for 3 years then left it to try a couple others, due to excessive breakouts but found out they were due to stress caused hormones, and now have more scars due to taking longer to heal. I'm starting it again as soon as my order arrives.

Pros

• Easy to use, less steps than other lines, skin is smoother and pores smaller, skin was clean.

Cons

• Some overdrying if you don't use the moisturizer. The packageing I don't like putting back on the twist lids canisters. I wasnt looking for a miracle fix. Still had to use an extra acne product or use peroxide as a toner during break outs.
  • moderate
  • $ 23
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am 56 and use the entire line, my dd 15 uses the acne line and we are very satisfied

Pros

• gets rid of dry skin, is used on dry to normal skin you need to use a moisturizer afterwards if it dries out your skin.

Cons

• if you have oily skin and acne, use the Gel it works great, my dd has used everything on her face for acne and she uses the gel twice a day and her face is look great
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.