Almay Smart Shade Foundation reviews

3.4/5 - 14 reviews

Brand: Almay

Titanium Dioxide (4%), Zinc Oxide (2.1%).

Aqua/Water/Eau (water, eau), Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Talc, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, HDI/Trimethol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Alumina, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Trisiloxane, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Extract, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Galactoarabinan, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Boron Nitrate, Alcohol Denatured, Methicone, Tribehenin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Silica, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Tetrasodium EDTA, PVP, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-): (CI77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Zinc Oxide (CI77947).

Almay Smart Shade Makeup with SPF 15, Light 100, 1-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 2)
updated: 10/21/2014 10:49 UTC

Great makeup!
Reviewed on August 5, 2014

I tried this per Dan's recommendation. It offers decent enough covereage, though I still need concealer for spot treatment coverage. The whole "smart shade" thing is a gimmick (color releases from the beads as you crush the little granules while rubbing the foundation in your palms or on your face...it gets darker giving the impression that it is "matching your skin"...No, the whit granules are releasing color). Gimmicks aside, this is one of the very few foundations that doesn't break me out. That alone earns a 5 star rating from me since almost everything breaks me out. I wish a little more product came in the bottle though. I might try the other Almay foundations in bigger bottles since Dan mentioned all of Almay caters to acne prone skin.

Reviewed on November 12, 2012

This is a good product for those with problematic skin that breaks out easily. It goes on 'white' and when blended in it will start to become darker to match your skin tone. I used the lightest shade that it came in and it still did not match my skin tone. My skin is pretty fair and it was pretty noticeable ( did not have a natural look at all). Perhaps next time I use it, less is more. I really like Almay products though and i think it is for the most part free of ingredients that harm and break out skin.

Reviewed on December 28, 2011

I had been stippling creamy foundations previously, which provide lots of coverage, but it felt suffocating sometimes, and i was afraid it may be causing some pimples

so i bought this for a change, off of Dan's recommendation. It amazingly did match my skin tone, which rarely happens. But, it didn't completley mask redness and the redness of pimples like my stippling did.

Next time if i use more smart shade concealer it might be better.

Overall, its an ok product. Does the job, but not amazing. Im sticking with it because it wont break me out.

Reviewed on October 21, 2011

my favorite makeup I've tried so far, but the flakiness it causes means I will probably keep looking. If you don't have dry skin it will probably work great for you.

Reviewed on May 2, 2011

I started to use this simply because it was recommened by Acne.org by Mr. DK himself. I was a little skeptical at first because after reading reviews users were stating the coverage is pretty light. Not good if you have any acne :( But I pushed my feeling aside and bought it solely on the purpose that this makeup won't make me breakout further. This makeup has not created new acne, as far as I can tell. I have minor breakouts but just started the acne.org regimen also ~ so hopefully those will clear up soon too. I would say give it a shot but again pair it up with the smart shade concealer (if your looking for more coverage).

Reviewed on January 23, 2011

pretty much i would only say to use this if you don't have any acne. not even scars. this has zero coverage. it moisturizes really good but as far as doing what foundation is supposed to it? ehh

Reviewed on January 6, 2011

I'm a guy and I love using this product! I am very pale skinned so I was very worried the concealer would be too dark for my skin, but with the proper amount spread evenly it blends very nicely! I had awful acne as a teenager, which left me with a bit of deep scarring. Let me be the first to sound vain and say that I am an attractive person (as most of us are, even with acne!), but my acne scars have always bothered me. Now, with the daily taking of zinc and omega-3 vitamins (plus, my multivitamin) and using this product my acne scars have decreased dramatically, giving me a much smoother skin tone!

Again, I would not recommend this product for those who have severe acne. It doesn't cover up well enough to completely hide huge breakouts.

If you have severe acne I'd recommend taking vitamins, especially zinc to help calm down your breakouts. It helps a lot! Also, cake on that benzoyl peroxide when you go to bed everynight! You have NO IDEA how much this helps you NOT breakout until you try it! I wash my face only at night (in the shower with an exfoliating cleanser containing salycic acid), and lightly dab in the morning to clear away the benzoyl peroxide. This routine has kept me quite clear for years. I also use Vaseline Total Moisture Conditioning lotion nightly. A great, light lotion with pro-vitamins A, E, and B5, which have also helped my face look much healthier.

Thanks for reading!

Reviewed on April 6, 2010

I bought this foundation because I heard a lot about it and thought "why not?" The coverage isn't all that great, it's more for a person who has very light acne. If you're looking for coverage this is NOT the foundation for you. I found myself applying it a few times through out the day because the coverage didn't last long. I liked the "color beads" that blend into your skin, it matched me spot on but I know it's not for everyone considering there aren't very many shades.

Reviewed on January 15, 2010

If you want a light coverage foundation that won't break you out (and you aren't super fair skinned), it's worth a try.

Reviewed on January 10, 2010

I like this Foundation :) Which I was surprised about as I hadn't used this Brand before.It works well,blends well and stays on oily skin