Alcar Acetyl L-Carnitine reviews

Brand: Alcar

Acetyl L Carnitine.

Reviewed on May 14, 2011

Its a really good product and my acne has become much more managable. I still have acne but it is not half as bad as it was before I started using this product. I have really oily and this has really helped to reduce that. The spots that I do get are not very big any more which I'm really thankful for. This product is defo worth trying as there are no side effects.

Reviewed on April 4, 2011

It makes my pores small and drys up my skin's usual oiliness immediately (within an hour). It may take a week or two of use to get rid of all acne if I'm already particularly broken out, but it prevents any new pimples from forming. If I only have a tiny amount of acne, it clears my skin within a couple days. And it works no matter what I eat as long as I take it within a few hours of eating acnegenic foods (peanut butter, nuts, milk chocolate, trans-fat foods, etc.).

I only take 1-10 mg, which is smaller than a match head. That's just a 1 mm spot of powder if you get the bulk powder, which is what I would do because regular tablets are always huge amounts--like 500 mg. And it would be hard to break a tablet into such small amounts. Well, I suppose you could crush it and just take little bits of the powder. A container of the bulk powder (500 g) will last for decades at the rate I use it. I am completely amazed by this stuff, especially because I was not expecting it to have this effect on my acne. It's pretty much miraculous. I had not seen this effect of ALCAR mentioned elsewhere ever. I have only ever seen it recommended for glucose tolerance and fat burning/weight loss. Initially I was trying it just to see if it helped with my hypoglycemia (which, incidentally, it didn't help very much).

I read about it online a little. It occurs in our bodies naturally in every cell, where it shuttles fatty acids into mitochondria where they are metabolized. I think it keeps fatty acids from building up in cells preventing energy metabolism blockages and necrosis of adipocytes in follicles, which is how it prevents acne, but I don't know.