Overall rating: 4.2 / 5

Recommended by 78% of visitors

Average price: $5.61

Most helpful review

By Andrew, Indiana on 01/18/2013

This soap is superb! I've got the perfect process on how to use this soap. I learned this from my grandmother who used this as a child growing up in Germany and she said it cleared everyone's acne back then. Anyway wash face in circular motions with lather for 30 seconds, then let it sit on for 30 to 60 seconds more. After shower or wash let your face air dry, when dry, your face will feel frozen so then take witch hazel and apply with a cotton ball. The WH closes & soothes your pores instantly..

Pros:
  • Skins feels superbly clean after wash
  • Opens pores and kills/removes bacteria from pores, then use witch hazel to close you cleaned pores
  • Cleans all oil off skin
  • Helps with red spots the next day
Cons:
  • Can sting sometimes depending on how you wash
  • Face is frozen from really tight skin after wash which is where witch hazel comes in handy.

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful

African Black Soap (Base), Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Meal, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Plantain Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vegetable Glycerin, Mineral Pigment, Vegetable Color, Essential Oil Blend.

Nubian Heritage African Black Soap, with Oats, Aloe & Vitamin E, 5 oz
updated: 04/16/2014 23:53 UTC
Bar Soap, African Blk with Al, 5 oz (6 Pack)
updated: 04/16/2014 23:53 UTC

Member reviews

By on

When I tried this soap I absolutely loved it - it really cleaned my skin and brightened up my face. Though it was drying I always put moisturizer so it was okay. I used it morning and night for about 2-3 weeks and noticed a piece of my skin started peeling. I have sensitive skin and I have cutaneous lupus so when my skin peels it makes this scab that doesn't look like my skin and won't heal properly. After that I stopped using it. I still think this is good, but not now that we are heading into winter. I'm going to use it once a day at night and get a better moisturizer.

Totally recommend if u don't have dry skin during the winter time and u want a cleanser that will not only clean ur face but also remove makeup.

Pros

• Dudu Osan African Black Soap
  • Cleans skin
  • Removes makeup
  • natural

Cons

• Caused my face to peel with continued use
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 3.25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

You must get RAW African Black Soap. I got it at the Black Expo and it was very inexpensive. I read so many wonderful things about raw black soap and shea butter and purchased a lot of both for only $22. Raw black soap is not black in color like this item shown in the photo. It is a brownish color and it is GREAT. I have tried everything, and trust me this is a GOD-SEND

Pros

• Natural, works to combat acne, soothing, lathers great, helps combat oiliness

Cons

• None
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 22
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've used African Black Soap from Ghana for months and I love it. I think the main reason for the bad reviews is that people on here haven't used raw african soap, there are many copies of it out there, which is why buying online is your best bet. I buy mine from E b a y and it's very cheap ($5.24 for 6oz, currently) It might help very mild acne, but nothing amazing. I just love it because it's so gentle and pure which is everything you need in a good face wash, it shouldn't be helping your acne; that what a good treatment does. Remember, raw from Ghana. The women from there make it and pack it themselves. You will love it, so don't be discouraged by the bad reviews.

Good luck. :)

(BTW: for cysts try Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion) Help a ton.

My acne is really bad, almost severe if anyone finds that helpful.

Pros

• does NOT dry skin out
  • gentle
  • pure
  • no chemicals
  • cheap
  • lasts a long time

Cons

• may have no effect on acne, however it will make everything else work much better, and you want that.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 5.24
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Wouldn't buy more. I got some from a friend, but it dried my face so bad it made the situation even worse. Flaky!

Pros

• Dries skin

Cons

• Dries skin a bit too much.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Recommended if you have allergies or negative side effects from commercial cleansers.

Pros

• Alaffia Black Liquid Soap:
  • Natural with plantain skin
  • Non-drying
  • Left skin feeling squeaky clean and smooth

Cons

• Stings when first applied the first few days, then subsides.
  • Didn't do anything for my acne.
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

this product was very annoying, but it cleared my very bad acne. I would give to someone with very bad acne to relive the face.

It is better as hand soap

I got a natural black soap that was not ground smoothly

Pros

• natural
  • smells good

Cons

• stings eye
  • light
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

great soap! i was nervous about using it because it's made with shea butter and different oils, but it's wonderful and smells nice (and mild) too; my skin is actually glowing and clear!

I use the brand agbanga karite, which is fair trade and really serious about quality control.

Pros

• makes skin smooth, balances oil/dry areas, gives face a glow

Cons

• none so far
  • light
  • $ 15

By on

If your acne isn't too severe then this may work for you.

Pros

• Makes face soft, tones and brightens

Cons

• Doesn't really work on my acne, very drying.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.