African Black Soap reviews

4.3/5 - 40 reviews

African Black Soap (Base), Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Meal, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Plantain Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vegetable Glycerin, Mineral Pigment, Vegetable Color, Essential Oil Blend.

Nubian Heritage African Black Soap, with Oats, Aloe & Vitamin E, 5 oz
updated: 08/21/2014 06:36 UTC
Bar Soap, African Blk with Al, 5 oz (6 Pack)
updated: 08/21/2014 06:36 UTC

drying at first but please stick with it!!
Reviewed on May 4, 2014

I purchased this product about 2 and a half weeks ago. I was suffering through a moderate outbreak of eczema at the time (due to some makeup remover wipes that were too harsh to my sensitive skin). I had read that black soap was good for eczema as well as acne so I tried it out. Yes it was very drying for the first two weeks. I cant say if it helped with my eczema. I used the olive oil and sugar scrub and coconut oil as a moisturizer to get rid of my eczema (which worked very very well!). I think it would work but only if your skin is already used to it, if it is not it will be drying the first couple of weeks and may make it worse. Anyways after it went away I started using the black soap twice a day instead of once and today I looked in the mirror and thought wow!!! it flattens acne bumps and popped pimples like nobody's business. I popped a biggie today (I know I know, shame on me...), washed my face with the soap, and then bam, an hour later it's flat and crusty like when you have a healing popped pimple. I don't recommend popping pimples as it does leave a red mark. that leads me to my next point however. I found that the soap is evening out my skin tone and lightening my acne scars!

I definitely recommend this, however be ware that while it does eliminate your pimples vastly, the first few weeks it will be drying your skin and when your skin is over dry more oil is produced, and thus, more acne. So moisturize!

Shea Moisture (Brand) - African Black Soap
Reviewed on April 28, 2014

Keeps skin feeling fresh, clean, and tight - not dry and stripped. It's an easy to find, low cost product. I've tried everything from Cetaphil, to prescriptions and ProActiv. African black soap is the first step to my skin care routine.

(Acne.org Treatment being the second step.)

The best decision I ever made
Reviewed on October 29, 2013

I created an account just to rave about how much this product has helped my skin. I've gone through so many products trying to help my skin. My whole seventeen years of life i've had somewhat clear skin, but this past year i became a pizza. A literal pizza, i probably had sauce dripping down my face an grease. Not really, I just got REALLY BAD. and i had tried proactiv which used to work for me, but i guess the product called it quits with my face. I have a photoshoot coming up and this was my last chance to get clear skin before then. It's working! It's amazing and everytime i pass a mirror without makeup my self confidence actually spikes for once! I'll post updates in a week if its gotten better on this review as comments! I would suggest this product to anyone suffering from acne.

I actually Enjoy it
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

I have plaque psoriasis. I was looking everywhere for a treatment that I wasn't also allergic to. Everything I found made me break out in Severe hives. When I found the black soap, it was not processed, just scooped out of this huge wooden bowl and put into a little plastic jar. This was the only product- USED WITH NATURAL SHEA BUTTER- that did not give me a bad reaction. The directions I was given was to add water to the mixture to soften, apply to washcloth or scrubbie, and scrub affected area and rinse very well. I bought this from The Old Drugstore in DownTown St. Augustine, hence the price.

Reviewed on April 18, 2013

I used real african black soap imported from Ghana so that might be the reason it broke me out. Commercial black soaps aren't usually black soap at all. People said there was a purging period, but I personally don't believe in "purging" and the day I stopped using it I saw a significant decrease in pimples.

Reviewed on April 8, 2013

Ive been using it alongside Quinoderm (5%BP + lactic acid combo) and its perfect for removing the layer of dead, flaky dry skin. This review is for the Ghana variety of ABS, I have tried the Nigerian (dudu osun) and I wouldnt reccomend it when using BP etc as its a lot harsher and stings my skin.

Reviewed on March 28, 2013

I have hormonal acne, so it could just be that I need a more internal solution....wish I could use this for the dry skin aspect, but can't because it's aggravating to my acne.

Reviewed on March 17, 2013

I used akoma black soap from ghana.100% natural.i use it morning and evening and it really has helped clear my acne (severe) I soap the bar in my hands and then apply to face..remove with warm face clothe then splash with water.leaves face soft and clear but a tad dry.has cleared my face almost entirely! I dnt wash over my eyes with it as I found it stung alot.also I was told u could wash hair with it...DONT! Left it awful.but for face its fantastic! :))