Page 5 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1230 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Kept Breaking OUT
Reviewed on May 30, 2013

When I first tried this product, I was breaking out terribly in the first week. I applied it on a pimple that I got on the right side of my mouth cheek area, and after a week I started getting tons of pimples in that area like 5. A pimple takes forever to go away, like about a week. By using the medication I got so many scars and hyperpigmentation that I now have to wear makeup to cover it all up. It is sad that my acne has gotten worse. I decided to try this after Tetrinoin didnt work out for me, but I guess this didnt work either. I realized my acne was even more inflammed and soo much redder when I used this. If you are reading this review right now you should go buy a mask called the aztec indian healing clay which actually cleared my skin and now I do not have acne at all. If you do not believe me then please search up the reviews for it. They all are positive. Well anyways im glad i am done with this adapalene. I havent seen Any improvements with adapalene, I have been using for 8 months trying not to lose hope but I guess it wasnt for me :(

Reviewed on May 13, 2013

My skin: Dry, very sensitive, prone to scarring, moderate acne with hormonal cysts. Now that I cant use BP my skin sucks.

I was prescribed differin lotion 1% in conjunction with monocycline. First 3 days, awesome, things drying up and coming to the surface. But my skin was so so dry. Now this isnt differins fault, but since it was working SO well I started to use the moisturizer cerave pm (aka the WORST THING in the world) and my skin FLIPPED. Maybe it was just accelerated the purging or whatever, who knows but my skin got bumpy and horrible. I changed everything to be simple and kept on with the differin. My experience with it is that yea, it turned over my cells quickly and pushed stuff to the surface. I can't go in the sun or get my eye brows waxed and I really dont like the long term costs associated with this as a permanent solution. I have stopped using it now for 3 days and my skin is getting better. I just love the dark purple scars this has given me which is the whole damn reason I started using it. I just dont see the use for this because, long term it's goin to a) stop working and you just have to keep increasing the harshness b) thins your skin and expose very vulnerable new skin to sun damage even with SPF, don't fool yourself c) skin become dependent on it which is such a vicious cycle I have experienced with BP it is NOT worth it. I really don't think the long term risks are worth the short term benefits.. Maybe in a decade in my late 30s ill reconsider.

Going to try rosehip oil for scarring instead...

Reviewed on May 3, 2013

I am only 14 and have had acne since the third grade... I have tried sooo many things this,benzoyl peroxide ,proactive , various creams from my dermatologist and doctor etc)and I Am on epiduo now and it's really not doing Any thing, this absolutely did nothing and I would say I used it for 6 months or so. Also I have moderate to severe acne

Reviewed on May 1, 2013

I have been using Differin for six months now and in my experience it has been brilliant. I was on Dan's regime for a year, and although it worked brilliantly, I wanted to see if I could find a product which didn't dictate the way I lived my life (having to use it religiously twice a day everyday, only using white bed sheets and towels because of the bleaching, not being able to work out or go swimming/in the sea because it would wash the product off, having constantly dry skin). So I asked my doctor what I could use, and he prescribed me differin and an antibiotic.

A lot of people will tell you how horrendous the initial breakout (IB) is, but I think it depends on how bad your skin is in the first place and the type of acne you have. My acne was not big red pustules, just a lot of under the skin bumps. So I had quite a lot to come to the surface (as differin increases cell turn over). But I found that by the end of the first month I noticed significant improvement, and now six months in I am clear. Please bear in mind that I did take antibiotics so these will also have helped.

I think if you have the patience to stick with this product than it is completely worth it, but if you want to find something that works quickly than this is not the product for you. But in my experience, very few products work quickly and effectively on acne. Also, I have found that the product made the top layers of my skin quite flimsy and they peel off easily...so if you pick your skin (as I often do) you end up taking more layers of skin off, which can cause large red marks. Just something to be aware of.

Reviewed on April 28, 2013

This stuff works. Plain and simple. It's not too irritating at all. Just use a moisturizer. It is slowly but surely fading red marks. In like 2-3 months it should fade them pretty decently. I also have had no initial breakout after a month so far.

Reviewed on March 28, 2013

My dermatologists recommended me to use adapalene at night and benzoyl peroxide in the morning. I used this product (adapalene) for about a year. It worked in a few months . I didn't have breakouts for months but after a year my acne came back. My dermatologists said my skin might be resistant to the product so she recommended another product, but, I still recommended to use this product to others that have mild to moderate acne.

Reviewed on March 26, 2013

Use this cream.

I have tried everything literally everything, I've always suffered from acne through puberty especially from whiteheads which then become angry pustules and papules, I've been on this cream for 12 weeks and I kid you not I look in the mirror and haven't seen my face and complexion this bump free for about 3 and a half years , people who succeed on this cream won't post on here , only the negatives because the people who it works out for forget about having to write reviews !!

Reviewed on March 24, 2013

I tried proactive, skin Id, neutrogena kits, clea and clear kits, epiduo.. You name it. But adapalene 0.1% has cleared my acne for years now

Reviewed on March 15, 2013

The reason this product is getting a low rating is because people think that it's supposed to be used to clear up acne. It doesn't clear acne up like benzoyl peroxide--it simply makes your skin look nicer overall by reducing pore size and makes it easier to fight acne in the long run. My skin got worse for about a month, but if it doesn't clear up after that, the problem lies in whatever antibacterial you're using. I used Acanya with it (and recently Monodox) and my skin looks much better.

Reviewed on March 15, 2013

Could possibly try if your acne/skin diseases are very bad. Also not a good cream if you are the "on the go" person because of the dryness and flakiness and redness.