Page 4 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1250 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

The IB was worth it
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

I can't believe it... my skin is clear! I had what I would call a relatively minor to moderate acne problem, to the point where I was self-conscious about my acne and the hyperpigmentation it would leave behind after continuous breakouts. I felt I couldn't leave the house without makeup. Now my skin is clear, and as a bonus, more radiant and smooth in texture.

The initial breakout was extremely challenging and long. That explains the 4 out of 5 stars rating, though I think the IB is probably a given. My entire face broke out, and in places I didn't normally get pimples. It kind of went in phases-- first a bunch of blackheads on my forehead, then pimples on my chin, and next my cheeks. It took the longest for my chin and cheeks to clear up. But, by that time my forehead was already better. My skin was literally purging itself of emerging and future pimples all at once.

I didn't start to see results for about six months. It seems it took my skin longer to improve than most, after reading other reviews. However, once my skin began to improve, it did so very quickly, and then BAM! No more acne problem.

I have the confidence to leave the house without makeup for errands and such, though I will say that my makeup looks so much better on now that my skin is clear and smooth. Be patient, and don't be surprised if you cry or throw temper tantrums during the IB. The temporary IB is worth the end result.

worked wonders
Reviewed on December 15, 2013

I started this 6 months ago, along with minocycline. my initial breakout came about three weeks into the treatment and it was horrid. I had moderate acne, and it really messed with my self esteem. my skin started clearing about 3 months in and looks great. I still get 3-4 zits every month but they go away quickly and are mostly hormonal. this is my last month on minocycline but I am going to continue using adapalene for another 6 months.

Think before you use!
Reviewed on December 15, 2013

I have mild to moderate acne which is mostly on my cheeks. It started at about 12 and has been getting worse (I am now 17). I have been using this product for around three weeks. I think mine is 0.3%. This product cleared up most of my acne after a week and a half, however, it has made my skin hypersensitive. It feels like a constant intense sunburn. The skin peels off lots around my mouth and eyes and it doesn't seem to make a difference how often I exfoliate. This does make it hard to put make up on during the day. Using moisturizer is incredibly painful as my skin is so dry. The dry patches are constantly bright red. I am hesitant to stop using it though, as it keeps the acne away. I am using with antibiotics.

Past experience
Reviewed on December 12, 2013

What I remember most about this product is I had colored pillow cases and this product bleached them, not white but lightened the fabric quite a bit. Took me awhile to figure out the cause.

by MarieK on 01/05/2014 12:40
Is it possible that you confuse Differin with a BPO product? Because retinoids like Adapalene usually do not bleach, whereas pillow case bleaching is one of the most experienced side effects when using BPO during night.
Slowly but Surely
Reviewed on November 29, 2013

I really wanted to write a review because differin seems to have a bad rep. I am 21 and have had acne that has steadily been getting worse since I was 13. I decided to try differin because I was sick of treatments that worked for a few months - then acne returning worse than before. I had a LONG PURGING phase, I started in July and didn't really clear up until late October! (there were a weeks of improvement and HUGE breakouts along the way). A lot of retinoids recommend using them for SIX MONTHS before deciding whether or not they are working, so give it time. A lot of the negative reviews for differin are from people who quit around month 1 - 2 (the point where my acne was just getting worse still).. Obviously differin isn't for everyone but I really recommend sticking with it - especially if you are already at month 1 or 2 you may as well wait it out a few more months and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone!

Horrible Product
Reviewed on November 20, 2013

When I started using this product I was told that my acne would get worse over the first few weeks and then begin to improve. I used the product for a month and my skin continued to get worse, never better. I developed acne all over my face and nose. My nose also became dark red. I have been off of differin for about a month now all the while taking doxycycline. The doxycycline has improved some areas of my face, but my nose is still a dark red and breaks out in whiteheads every single morning. I fear the redness may not go away as it currently shows no signs of doing so. I do not recommend this product to anyone as I had a terrible experience with it.

by kdeger on 12/10/2013 03:22
From your statement, it seems like you only used it for a month. Is that true?
Best product ever
Reviewed on November 20, 2013

Hands down best thing ever invented!! Yes it might dry out your skin a lil bit but it's nothing compared to other acne medications where you get super flaky dry skin we red spots all over your face!I've been using it for literally 5 days and im seeing a huge improvement and it also reduces blackheads!

Worked for me
Reviewed on November 15, 2013

I've been using Differin 0.1% for a little over two months and my face is pretty much blemish free now. I'm 35 and always suffered from mild acne. I would always have a blemish or two but about three months ago my face flared up and I started getting a lot of large blemishes around my jaw line and chin.

Differin is quite a strong cream. I was lucky enough not to suffer from bad side effects accept a mild rash appeared on my neck for a while and I had slight redding around the effected area. You must wash you hands after use as you don't want to get it in your eyes! I would recommend using a good moisturiser as it can dry your skin out a little too.

It's worth trying, I'm really pleased with the results but I did have to use the cream every single night for over two months to get a spot free face, so stick with it and good luck!

"works"
Reviewed on November 4, 2013

this is a good product. i started using it about 6 months ago. i still get acne, but definitely not as bad as i would get it if i wasn't using it. I am pretty bummed that it doesn't get rid of all of it, but it does get rid of a large portion of it, and as long as you're using a good cleanser along with it.

Differin Treatment (2 Week Update)
Reviewed on October 31, 2013

I have been using 'Differin' for two weeks now. It was free as I am 15 in the UK and was prescribed it. I am using it only on a night before I go to bed and in conjunction with 'Erythromycin' 250MG tablets (4 Daily). Unlike many people I haven't had any kind of initial breakout which is a huge positive. I also haven't found that the treatment gives me any 'redness', although on a morning my skin is far more dry than it usually is. Overall, the 'Differin' has done well in stopping me from breaking out although it hasn't been particularly effective at getting rid of the spots that I already have, which are mainly concentrated in my 'T-Zone'. It is early days though and I will write a 'review update' every two weeks to keep people in the loop on my progress!