Page 2 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1266 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Wonderful
Reviewed on August 14, 2014

I'm not one for writing reviews so bare with me; this might be long. I have suffered with acne since the end of my freshman year of high school. I went to the derm. right away because I did not want to go through having severe acne for years. Right away he prescribed Epiduo. That wrecked my skin and made it dry, itchy, RED, and bumpy. It was horrible. So he the prescribed Ziana. This was not aggressive enough and made my skin oily and pores huge. Next he prescribed Aczone and Solodyn (the pill). I had such high hopes and unfortunately this treatment didnt work either. I then took birth control for personal reasons and I knew people whose skin cleared up from taking it. Unfortunately this made my hormones crazy and my acne worse. By this time I was a junior in high school still struggling with mild/moderate acne and I felt like nothing would work for me. I decided that the derm. couldnt prescribe anything that would get rid of my acne so I was going to make my own treatment. I started eating better and using only organic face products. I realized that the problem was likely hormonal/genetic so i would either have to use some type of prescribed treatment or just wait it out until I grew out of my acne. I was feeling so insecure and I absolutely hated my skin. My whole high school experience was plagued with this embarrassing thing I had on my face. I felt like no one would want to talk to me because of it. Of course now I realize that acne doesn't make a person. Often times we see our flaws as much worse and if you are struggling with acne you need to understand that your acne should not control you. The summer before my senior year I made a goal for myself: clear my acne! I went to the derm and he said that Differin Adapalene would benefit my skin. So I believed him and began using that every night on my face as well as taking the pill Doxycycline. Let me tell everyone, the first month for me was very rough. I struggled a lot with even leaving the house. My acne was the worst that it ever had been but since it was summer I didn't have many obligations. The hardest part for me was not the acne itself but it was my confidence. I had zero confidence and I didn't want anyone to see me. Luckily, after that first month my acne began improving! This happened slowly. The acne marks and scars started to fade and any bumps I would get were very small and would heal quickly. I am still dealing with some scars but I am happy with the results and I truly believe that it will clear my skin all the way. Be patient with this product! Don't give up on it because if Differin is right for you it will all be worth it! Hang in there.

by 30roq on 08/17/2014 02:58
Dido that! Please please stick with this especially if your an adult like me! It took only a month and people started telling my skin looked better. Still waiting for the scars to go but it has went from extreme to mild. Again though as I have told other people moisturize is key, also use mild cleansers and wash gently!! No wash clothes
8 weeks in
Reviewed on August 10, 2014

I'm 20. My doc prescribed me Differin and Doxycycline Antibiotics for my mild acne. Well.

It's been 8 weeks and my acne has moved from mild to moderate and I have more pimples than when I started the Differin. The doc said to take it for 3 months but I doubt that it will start producing any results in the 4 weeks I have left. This has left me extremely frustrated. I really thought this would work because for the last 4 years I have been using over-the-counter products like Benzoyl Peroxide and this was the first time a doctor looked at my acne.

I feel like these last 2 months on DIfferin were a waste of time, money and effort.

by Pip98 on 08/16/2014 10:24
exactly how i'm feeling right now - my pimples have not changed - pretty much gotten worse in the 8 weeks i have been using it. My doc said 6 months for full results and i have read some people did not start to see results until 3month mark or even after that. I am upset and frustrated aswell the same as you i had a lot of positive feelings about it but i guess i will just have to wait it out.
by 30roq on 08/17/2014 02:55
Make sure to moisturize with really high quality moisturiZer!! Also if you wear makeup get the good stuff. Personally I love Estée Lauder as it is great on my adult skin. Check out daywear, has made a world of difference (FYI I have had terrible acne forever and it is the first thing to actually work and I have tried everything from proactive to antibiotics)
by 30roq on 08/17/2014 02:55
2 weeks in
Reviewed on August 2, 2014

im 22 years old. I've now been using this product for 2 weeks using it once every other day before bedtime. I first wash my face with a foaming cleanser cerave, then benzoyl peroxide, then Adapalene 0.1% gel (differin). Every day from starting this product I noticed more and more white bumps coming to the surface of my skin. Kind of happy because I figured its working, but now on my second week there's a lot of white bumps on my cheeks and want them to go away already because my birthday is in 3 days and don't want to be seen with so many white heads on my face. How long after they start coming to the surface do they actually go away? I prefer whiter bumps over red pimples but neither is better. I will stick to it of course although my skin doesn't appear to be smoother as other reviews I've read. also I don't use a moisturizer in my routine only after washing my face in the morning before stepping out as it also contains sunscreen spf30. Am I also supposed to be moisturizing after using this product as well? Well hope this is working for the rest of you, good luck everyone!

How do I get rid of my scars?
Reviewed on July 31, 2014

It's hard to be a high school student enough, but when you have acne, it makes it even worse. I've struggled with acne for almost 2 years and I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror because of it. I get so sad and upset with myself like it's my fault. I was prescribed Differin two weeks ago, and I've had a few pimples come up, but i don't see any small changes in my scars. Does this medication work for scarring?

don't give up!!!!
Reviewed on July 31, 2014

Okay so I am 22 and have been suffering from acne since about the age of 16 and it's just the worst thing ever. Personally, I think the important thing about healing your skin is to stick with a routine. If you go to a dermatologist LISTEN TO THEM and don't give up if it doesn't work right away.

So I would say I have moderate/mild acne. I went on birth control so I no longer have the ugly cysts, but I kept having just whiteheads and blackheads and I just never understood why. I went to the dermatologist after just being so ashamed to look at myself with or without makeup because let's face even if you're wearing makeup you will always see those imperfections :'( but she put me on antibiotics and differin. I was on a different type of antibiotics last year and I still got little whiteheads and blackheads all up on my face so I REALLY think it was the different that has cleared my face. I'm not saying I have 0 blemishes but my face feels like a legit babies bottom and my pores are smaller and I have gotten like TINY little zits and mostly around my period. I have only been on it for a month so I will update if anything changes but I seriously recommend this to anyone who is suffering comedonal acne! Use a really gentle cleanser- then lotion and differin and your face will feel soft and look so much better :D Also remove makeup before bed like duh that clogs your pores. I have never wrote a review before I just was really impressed with my results and really want people to not give up hope- be persistent with dermatologists! I have been suffering for about 6 years and the biggest mistake I think I made was giving up on products to easy and not listening to my dermatologist. And check every product with dermatologists- things like shampoos, face lotions, foundations, and sunscreen can seriously clog the pores- even if they say "non comodogenic"

>10 weeks, some improvements, but I want more :)
Reviewed on July 26, 2014

Sorry for my bad English. I'm 21 year-old-male. I've have acne since 16-17 but it was very mild. Unfortunately, earlier this year when I entered the age of 21, it became mild/moderate. I started using Differin in 10 or 11th May. Now after 11 weeks, my skin has some improvements. I can see my acne does not "deep" that it used to be. But my face still has some whiteheads and a fews pimples, although it is not painful to touch, small, but I watn it disaspear quickly. So i decide to use Differtin with clindamycin 100mg. :) Hope my beautiful face come back again soon :)

AWFUL
Reviewed on July 26, 2014

When i first started using this product it seemed to work miracles, but then after 3 months it stopped. My acne became much worse and the differein burned my skin AND LEFT IT SO RED. After putting up with this for a week i couldn't take it any more and i stopped using it completely. My skin sill burns whenever i put any products and i look like a lobster whenever i put on anything, even just moisturizer :(

I can't believe I waited so long to see a Dermatologist!
Reviewed on July 25, 2014

I was recently (about a month and a half ago) put on Differin by my derm. I had very mild acne but at 28 years old I had had enough - I wanted beautiful, clear skin!

I sampled it on my cheek for 2 weeks to check for dryness / irritation then went forward with a nightly application all over my face. It dried my skin out so much, that touching it would make me cry out in pain! It was peely, flaky, painful - even the skin by my eyes and eyelids started to flake, and i didn't even put it on my eyes!

I went to Pure + Simple here in Toronto to get some natural moisturizing products - since using I no longer have dry, peel, painful skin!

At night I wash my face with:

Neutorgena Body Clear body wash - seems to work for me

Apply the Differin Cream

Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum

Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer

In the morning I splash my face with water, then:

I spritz my face with Pure + Simple Rose Hydrosol

Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum

Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer

After following this routine for a couple of weeks I no longer need to apply the serum or moisturizer after the Differin at night - my skin doesn't feel dry anymore. If it feels parched ill go back to the moisturizers at night - but for now this seems to work for me.

I can't say enough great things about Differin - it has only been about 6-8 weeks but my little face scars are gone, my skin feels so smooth - my nose feels soooo smooth! I can't believe the 180 my skin has done. I have yet to have an IB / purge and I'm hoping I don't get one. Good luck and stick with it!

by ctiffin on 07/28/2014 14:18
For the past couple of days my eyelids have been really dry and sore - I don't put the Differin on or near my eyes. Has anyone else experienced this?
So glad I stuck with it.
Reviewed on July 20, 2014

PATIENCE is key for when using differin. I was prescribed differin (0.1%) alongside benzoyl peroxide (2.5%). The first TWO months there was NO change at all, just the usual "purging" and breakout at the beginning. It wasn't until this past week when my skin DRASTICALLY changed. I no longer have closed comedones (which i have had for years!!!) I can't believe it, my skin has never been this clear and ... smooth! I used to be able to "feel" my blackheads and pores on my nose and forehead - not anymore. I don't even have blackheads anymore. What sort of sorcery is this?!?!? Its weird, I don't even recognize my own skin, haven't worn foundation in 2 weeks! Please don't give up, at least give differin a 3 month trial. It doesn't work as fast as benzoyl, but the final effect is huge!

I also want to note that I didn't experience a drying /irritation effect that many seem to have. I actually found benzoyl to be more drying, but I guess everyone is different. I use a cream based one, not clear gel. My doctor told me to use it at night on my forhead, nose and chin. I also had an extraction on the 2nd month mark just to get rid of the pesky deep closed comedones.

by Pip98 on 07/26/2014 01:57
I'm so glad this worked for you!!! I am on my 5th week of differin i cant really see a change its sorta worse actually but i never had a MAJOR initial breakout... is that what happened to you? So I should probably wait until 3 months and then it should start getting better? I thought it was getting better but it just got worse again so I guess its still purging or whatever... any advice? :)
I really wanted this to work :(
Reviewed on July 16, 2014

I was so happy when I was prescribed this!

I followed all the rules pea sized amount far away from nose and eyes. Even put vasilene on eyes before the application. But I experienced severe eczema and itchy eyes. It was horrible. I felt soooo gutted as so many people said it would work. Oh well just not worth the dry itchy eyes to me. I held out for 31 days. Also I became extremely oily and broke out on my forehead which is actually acne free. I know people say it only lasts a while but I thought it was worth mentioning. Hope this works for you. I had better luck with duac aka Clyndoxil.