Aczone Dapsone

Average price: $44.52

Brand: Aczone

Most helpful review

By Valerie, Houston, Tx on 03/12/2012

Ive been using this product for the past 4 months in the AM and it has improved my acne tremendously. It also feels nice on the skin and does well under makeup. I started noticing an improvement in about a week. I would definitely recommend Aczone to anyone batteling cystic acne!!!.

Pros:
  • Healed the acne i already had.
  • Makes skin smooth and soft.
  • Easy to apply.
  • Cystic acne isnt as severe.
  • Starts to work immediately.

58 out of 87 people found this review helpful

Dapsone (5%).

USP, in a gel of carbomer homopolymer type C; diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, NF; methylparaben, NF; sodium hydroxide, NF; and purified water, USP.

Member reviews

“Aczone”
By on

It really didn't work for me at all. Maybe helped lighten some of my scarring but that's about it. It made me break out a little more than usual ever since I started using it. Now, I don't know if that goes along with the whole "it always gets worse before it gets better" but I don't really believe that compared to the other prescription creams I have tried. I'd say you're better off looking into trying epiduo or duac/clindamycin.

Pros

• Easy to apply
  • Not drying
  • Lightens some scarring

Cons

• Didn't help acne
  • Expensive
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not effective for me”
By on

I took this in conjunction with minocycline and a Retin-A cream. I applied it twice a day and didn't notice any difference after three months. I didn't get any worse as a result though. I did however become very sensitive to any sunlight.

Pros

• didn't get worse

Cons

• very sensitive
  • for a few months
  • $ 25
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Didn't Really Work At All”
By on

I have moderate p.acne and some nodular acne. This did nothing for me. You can't use it in conjunction with BP as it will turn your skin orange. Derm's don't prescribe Aczone alone though as it apparently doesn't do anything by itself. I was prescribed it in conjunction with a anti-biotic (Solydyn I think). Anyway, the Aczone did nothing to prevent breakouts. I think it may have made the breakouts a little shorter and less severe, but that may have been the anti-biotics. It was one of the most useless products I used. I used it for approximately 2 months(maybe a little longer). It's also very expensive.

Pros

• Easy to apply
  • Not noticible on skin
  • May help shorten break outs

Cons

• Doesn't prevent breakouts
  • Doesn't do anything on its own
  • for a few months
  • $ 40
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Finally helped clear up my cystic acne!”
By on

After struggling for several years with cystic acne in my late 20's, I finally decided to see a dermatologist instead of my PCP. I was already taking Minocycline, which helped, but I still had bad cystic acne. The dermatologist prescribed Retin-A Micro (apply at night) and Aczone (apply in morning). In the first month, I didn't notice much improvement, maybe even slightly worse small pimples, but cycstic acne was not worse. After a couple months, I was noticing a definite improvement and by four months, I am thrilled with the results. I think the Retin-A has helped with the small whiteheads/blackheads, while the Aczone is particularly good for the cystic acne (my doctor said it has the ability to penetrate deeper into the skin to kill bacteria than most topicals). At same time as starting these, I started using Cetaphil Oil Control foaming wash and moisturizer, which have been great.

Pros

• Very good for cystic acne
  • More effective than Benzoyl Peroxide

Cons

• Can be drying
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Great For Any Skin Type”
By on

Began using this product when dermatologist recommended it for new routine. Wasn't quite sure how it would work at first. But, it has no scent and it's light and works excellently and doesn't stain clothing like other products do (contains benzoyl Peroxide). Will keep using. Works well for my sensitive skin.

Pros

• Light Cream
  • No Scent
  • Doesn't Stain

Cons

• Expensive for what you get
  • for more than a year
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“It's not a miracle cure - but it DOES work!”
By on

I have adult acne - I never had acne in my teens - and it has been a struggle to get it under control. The type of acne I have is cystic with large nodules that are very painful with several angry red pustules, and a lot of scarring. I have been on a regimen of retin-a 0.05% at night with Aczone in the morning for about 6 months, and I have had really good results. Do I still get acne - yes. Is it like it was before - definetly not! When I do get a cluster of pimples (usually right around my period) I double up on the Aczone and even put it on under my Retin A at night, and it clears up withing 2 days. I will say that this product is very expensive (with just my insurance I have to pay $90!) HOWEVER they offer coupons a lot on their site so I wind up paying around $25 for a 30g tube, which is worth it to me. A tube lasts me far longer than a month, because I use it for spot treatment only.

Pros

• No Smell
  • Good for Sensitive Skin (Non Drying)
  • Little goes a long way

Cons

• Expensive
  • for a few months
  • $ 90
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Made my acne worse”
By on

I was prescribed this and Tretinoin in august and used them up till november (about 4 months) when i decided to give up on them. While i was using these two products (along with solodyn) i noticed my acne only got worse than its ever been before. When i stopped using them, i went to the dermatologist and we decided i would go on accutane. Now ive been waiting the month finishing all the paper work and the ipledge and the bloodwork meanwhile my acne has cleared up so much that im questioning wether i still want to do the accutane. This product really irritated my face and i was so red all the time. I got a lot more acne on my cheeks which ive never had before and so many white heads on a daily basis. On top of it all my skin was flaky but still oily at the same time so makeup did not help. Personally, this did not work for me at all and ive only been seeing improvement since ive stoped.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Irritated face, much more red
  • Face was flakey but still oily
  • Made acne worse, so many white heads
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Aczone..”
By on

I've been using this for a month and no results. Good thing that it doesn't burn and peel my face. I have really sensitive skin. I'll just continue on.

Pros

• No burning
  • No peeling
  • No redness

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for about a month
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Aczone user for almost 1 year. 15 yrs old, moderate/severe acne, dry/sensitive skin”
By on

My derm. originally put me on Aczone because my acne wasn't too severe, but I would get tons of blackheads, whiteheads, papules, pustules, and a few nodules. This cream is a good alternative for someone like me who has very dry skin but yet still has acne. I have been using Aczone for almost a year now, and it hasn't done much for my acne. The most it has done for me is reduce scarring and maybe slightly reduces the amount of pimples I get. The only reason why I continue to use this stuff is because I do feel it somewhat keeps my acne under control (whereas it would freak out). I'm going back to the derm. soon, so hopefully I can try something new. I have to admit though, that when you put it on after washing your face it leaves the skin looking/feeling very nice and smooth. I think it might slightly reduce pore size too, which is a plus. Bottom line is, if you're looking for a treatment for serious acne, or to see long-term results this isn't the product for you. It has also been a money pit...which sucks so much. $75 per tube!!!

Pros

• Reduces scarring and pore size
  • Doesn't dry out skin (good for sensitive skin too!)
  • Wears well underneath makeup

Cons

• No major effects on acne
  • EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!! $75 per tube
  • for about a year
  • $ 75
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Pretty Good”
By on

I have been on Aczone for a little less than a year. I really like the consistency of the gel and it doesn't dry my skin out at all. The bad news, it really didn't prevent the big pustules and small cystic pimples I would get around my chin. It is slightly greasy so I tend to load it up at night and put a light coverage during the day. I started accutane a week ago (for the big pimples I get) and I can still use aczone without it drying out my skin (i just put it on problem areas to prevent the IB). Overall its a pretty good product and keeps most of my acne at bay without damaging my skin!

Pros

• Doesn't dry out skin
  • Helps most whiteheads and small pustules
  • Good consistency

Cons

• Doesn't help big pustules/cysts
  • Can be greasy if used too much
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.