Aczone Dapsone reviews

3.9/5 - 64 reviews

Brand: Aczone

Dapsone (5%).

USP, in a gel of carbomer homopolymer type C; diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, NF; methylparaben, NF; sodium hydroxide, NF; and purified water, USP.

Aczone Dapsone

kinda works--good for more mild acne
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

I've been on Aczone (dapsone) for over 2 months now and have been using it in tandem with neutrogina hydrating cleanser. I still have pretty bad acne, but this has lessened it some and doesn't dry me out too much (a problem I had with a lot of the other topical creams).

Overall I really like it (I like that I can have it on without it looking like I have cream on + my face usually feels pretty nice after applying it), but I think it is one that you'll need something else as well if your acne (like mine) is really bad.

Didn't do anything
Reviewed on June 18, 2016

I used this for about 6 months. I have very stubborn acne and this didn't really do anything one way or the other. I used this in the morning with epiduo at night and I saw no improvement, but also nothing that worsened. I didn't even have an initial flare. Only gave it two stars because at least it didn't make me break out even more.

Great results long and short term!
Reviewed on March 27, 2016

I've been using this for close to two months now and I can't recommend it enough. Initially it helped a lot with redness and inflammation - making spots smaller and less noticeable immediately. It also really reduced the time it would take a spot to go away. Sometimes my cysts would last for weeks but with Aczone they'd be gone in 3-4 days. I had moderate acne when I started - mostly around chin, cheeks, and forehead but now I just have a few fading scars and NO active spots! If you get the coupons online and buy smaller tubes then it is definitely affordable! My skin is completely back to being clear and beautiful and it is so much softer! No drying out and it is even helping with the scars!

amazing
Reviewed on December 18, 2014

I've been on this for almost two years now and its 100% worth it. Doesn't burn and is moisturizing! It take a while to see results (i did in three months) but this kept my cystic acne away complexly. I was having at least one cyst on my face and then depending on my cycle, up to 5, at one time. the only thing it doesnt help with is black heads and white heads.

Losing effect?
Reviewed on March 2, 2016

Initially, my skin became very dry but I noticed immediate improvement. MY face was completely clear for a few weeks. I have completed my second month of aczone. I am using aczone alongside Diane 35. During my periods I do notice my cystic acne returns. Aczone is great for treating scarring (past and present). Although, I feel that Aczone is not as effective anymore as my breakouts have become more severe around my period (which could be due to the Diane 35) and the Aczone has little effect when I do breakout now.

Irritating for Sensitive Skin
Reviewed on February 10, 2016

I tried this product after reading the reviews online. Unfortunately, my skin is far too sensitive for this product. It is a great anti-inflammatory and anti-redness agent, which I noticed, but it irritated my skin, so it was inflamed all the time which caused clogged pores. I ended up having red, swollen, rash-like skin on my forehead for a few days after stopping. If you have sensitive skin, I would either recommend a different product of start very slow.

STICK IT OUT
Reviewed on February 1, 2016

I absolutely never post reviews for products, but I promised that if I found a way to clear up my skin, I would let people know. I am 21, female, did not have any serious problems with acne throughout high school, but begun to at 18. Cleared up my skin on tactuo, and with no idea why, begun breaking out in deep painful pimples at 21. All along my jawline, my cheeks, around my mouth, and occasional pimples on my forehead. My t-zone was generally clear but the sides of my face were awful. I believed it to be associated with a hormonal issue. Went on tri cyclen lo, and in the first 3 months my acne worsened. I always had at least 15 breakouts at a time. Once one cleared up, another would be there. Serious self esteem issues developed and I was willing to do anything to clear my skin. Skin begun to show clearing once I STOPPED tactuo (epiduo) entirely, which seemed to be causing my acne to worsen and heal slower, and started using aczone morning and night. All I can suggest, is to STICK IT OUT! The first 2-4 months will suck, I know. But you will be so glad you did, and I also recommend not plastering your face with new products in attempt to fix things. I spent thousands of dollars on products and treatments, and what ended up working was cerave face wash, lotion, and aczone + birth control. Aczone will not dry you out, and it WILL help. Absolutely no other products. Its been 4 months since I started that simple regimen, and aside from my PIH scars, I am clear. Good luck guys, and have hope!! Try to stick it out. Thats all I can say. Also found it helpful to allow aczone to sit on my face 20 minutes before applying moisturizer as it needs time to absorb.

Two Words: Live Saver
Reviewed on December 30, 2015

This product is absolutely amazing. This (plus birth control) cleared up my horrible acne in a few months! I use it every night, and I can immediately tell a difference in the morning that it has worked. Thank goodness this product exists. The only down side is that it is super expensive, but luckily medical insurance is a thing, and I find it completely worth the value. I also think a large reason my skin has improved so much (my dermatologist told me it has improved 75%), is because of the birth control, and I was taking Alesse. It did wonders! I had to switch to Mirvala but I'm hoping it'll stay the same. Seriously, give it a try!

My opinion of Aczone
Reviewed on December 7, 2015

The following statements are my experiences and my opinions.

I was on Aczone at two different times over about a 3 year period. Aczone is a pretty good anti inflammatory. However, it does not do much in terms of preventing new acne from forming. Over time, it decreased in effectiveness. Also, it is very expensive without insurance. As a result, I switched to a more natural treatment that is far superior than any prescription.

by kaitlynhoule27@live.ca on 05/22/2016 21:32
I had the exact same experience!!! I agree 100 percent. Aczone is great for the first year, but it really stops being effective after that.
Prepare for the purge
Reviewed on October 3, 2015

Purging was not given as a possible side effect to me, but after a week, all of the dormant milia on my face began to bubble up into pustules, pop and then heal fairly quickly. The reason I give this 3 stars is because my face currently resembles a mountain range and looking at myself in the mirror is tough.

I'm not sure how long this is going to continue but I'm hoping it will calm down soon. I would recommend it if you have tried Otc products, birth control, dietary changes and still experience breakouts.

Be diligent and don't give up. I might change the rating if things improve.

update- it's been about two weeks and the pustules, the whiteheads, are beginning to subside on the sides of my face. I had a retinoic acid peel last week which helped the top layer of skin slough off and bring even more dormant milia to the surface.

Initially, my face was very scabby and dry, and now, a week later is beginning to fade. The skin is still very dry, and I'm willing to deal with that. My chin still has a way to go as I can see small little closed comedones, I am using the aczone (I didn't for a few days after the peel) and it is slowly, very slowly improving.

I will continue to use the aczone and think it has potential. I definitely think I need to focus and stick through this since I'm turning 36 soon and I deserve to have clear skin for once in my life.

by Kimmy5 on 11/29/2015 21:27
I recently started aczone myself along with differin. I'm experiencing a breakout as well. Are things getting better for you?
by Mopedgirl on 01/14/2016 04:27
I'm turning 36 this year too and am not happy with how my face looks. Let's just say Aczone is not making any zits heal faster, if anythings it's giving me painful bumps under the skin "cysts." I don't really have cystic acne so it's actually making me extremely nervous. My doctor told me to go on birth control to level my hormone, which I'm also worried about since I'm on the older side. Lets just say my Face hasn't looked or hurt this bad. Going to discontinue and get back to a milder regimen while these stupid birth control pills level out.