Aczone Dapsone reviews

3.9/5 - 68 reviews

Brand: Aczone

Dapsone (5%).

USP, in a gel of carbomer homopolymer type C; diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, NF; methylparaben, NF; sodium hydroxide, NF; and purified water, USP.

mediocre & grossly overpriced product
Reviewed on April 25, 2017

Aczone is a mediocre and overpriced topical medication, distributed by a greedy pharmaceutical company named Allergan. Spend your money on a better product that doesn't cost you $900/year (with insurance!!!) I'm switching back to Finacea, which is just as good on my skin and doesn't break the bank.

Miracle Drug
Reviewed on April 15, 2017

I've suffered from mild to moderate acne most of my adult life, but since I discovered this, that's all changed. My face has never been this clear! My routine, for those interested: AM: dapsone PM: 0.1% Retin A, 15% azelaic acid, 1% clinda, CeraVe PM (HLA & niacinimide)

Removed my stubborn cystic acne
Reviewed on November 13, 2016

I'm a 19-year-old female who's had acne since I was 12 and this product is what finally worked for me. I've tried pretty much everything; ProActive, Epiduo, antibiotics, Tazorac, and countless scrubs, creams, -'d gels. My acne was very stubborn severe cystic acne and in a matter of about a month of using every morning with PanOxyl and CereVe moisturizer, it's gone down to only a few bumps if any. I still have large pores, scars, and black heads, but the acne itself is gone! I still can hardly believe it when I look in the mirror. I would definitely give this a try at least.

Works in combination and correct dosage! Trial and Error!
Reviewed on September 20, 2016

First off, I never post reviews; but people need to know...

Background--I started seeing acne when I was 12, it was never a big deal, throughout middle school and high school it would only flareup when I was stressed or about to get my period. Fast forward to 22 years old, I thought (for some odd reason) that by 21 y/o my face would magically be clear as long as I live...WRONG! I started nursing school and it wasn't so bad (1st semester), then I got into my 2nd semester and wow, I had never ever been so stressed in my life, because I was having terrible flareups of acne on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. I went to the derm in May of this year, he prescribed me to Aczone (mornings), Tazorac (evenings), Minocycline (Twice/day), and Spironolactone (Once/day). Let me tell you, I've never been so self conscious of my appearance in my life. In two short months my skin had gotten worse...like A LOT WORSE. I'd never seen it this bad, I found myself canceling plans with friends, putting on so much makeup just to go to the gym, and crying for hours and hours. Acne breaks you down. It is the devil. I emailed my derm and asked if this was normal (you know, the terrible binge period everyone warns you about), and he said it was, so I stuck it out until our next appt. which was end of July. My derm asked what I thought about the meds and I said my skin is 10x worse than it was before I came in here. He suggested I get all my labs and testing done so I can go on 6months of accutane. I remember crying that day too because of what my skin had gotten to. I read the reviews and I was so scared, I didn't want all of those TERRIBLE side effects! But I understand the struggle of acne, so I considered it for a good month, I weighed the pros and cons, and I researched the heck out of it. During that month my derm told me to increase my dosage on aczone from just mornings, to mornings and nights, continue regularly with tazorac and Mino and stop Spiro altogether. In that month I saw incredible changes, my skin cleared up within 2 weeks at most, I was shocked to say the least. I saw that with just increasing my dose of aczone, my skin started to get dry and flaky--YAY! This is how I knew it was working because this is what accutane does for you, but with scarier side effects. All you have to do is wash your face with washcloth to exfoliate the dead skin.

Okay, so two months of simply increasing my dose and dropping the Spiro, my skin is almost completely clear. I do have break outs when I'm about to get my period but it's nothing like it used to be, it's literally like one little tiny one. Last week, I went to ulta to get color matched and the girl asked what my skin regimen was because she wanted to know how my skin looked so clear and soft! That's how I knew I should write a review. So please, please don't just go to the harshest thing for your body. Ask your derm to increase your dosage to see if that works. Good luck!

by cloudydreamer on 12/15/2016 23:24
I'm glad Aczone helped you. Spiro also made me worse. It works great for people who actually have really high free T levels but otherwise I think it makes things problematic. I'm still recovering from the Spiro breakout a few weeks ago. Do you have any updates for us about Aczone? Is your skin sensitive at all?
kinda works--good for more mild acne
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

I've been on Aczone (dapsone) for over 2 months now and have been using it in tandem with neutrogina hydrating cleanser. I still have pretty bad acne, but this has lessened it some and doesn't dry me out too much (a problem I had with a lot of the other topical creams).

Overall I really like it (I like that I can have it on without it looking like I have cream on + my face usually feels pretty nice after applying it), but I think it is one that you'll need something else as well if your acne (like mine) is really bad.

Didn't do anything
Reviewed on June 18, 2016

I used this for about 6 months. I have very stubborn acne and this didn't really do anything one way or the other. I used this in the morning with epiduo at night and I saw no improvement, but also nothing that worsened. I didn't even have an initial flare. Only gave it two stars because at least it didn't make me break out even more.

Great results long and short term!
Reviewed on March 27, 2016

I've been using this for close to two months now and I can't recommend it enough. Initially it helped a lot with redness and inflammation - making spots smaller and less noticeable immediately. It also really reduced the time it would take a spot to go away. Sometimes my cysts would last for weeks but with Aczone they'd be gone in 3-4 days. I had moderate acne when I started - mostly around chin, cheeks, and forehead but now I just have a few fading scars and NO active spots! If you get the coupons online and buy smaller tubes then it is definitely affordable! My skin is completely back to being clear and beautiful and it is so much softer! No drying out and it is even helping with the scars!

amazing
Reviewed on December 18, 2014

I've been on this for almost two years now and its 100% worth it. Doesn't burn and is moisturizing! It take a while to see results (i did in three months) but this kept my cystic acne away complexly. I was having at least one cyst on my face and then depending on my cycle, up to 5, at one time. the only thing it doesnt help with is black heads and white heads.

Losing effect?
Reviewed on March 2, 2016

Initially, my skin became very dry but I noticed immediate improvement. MY face was completely clear for a few weeks. I have completed my second month of aczone. I am using aczone alongside Diane 35. During my periods I do notice my cystic acne returns. Aczone is great for treating scarring (past and present). Although, I feel that Aczone is not as effective anymore as my breakouts have become more severe around my period (which could be due to the Diane 35) and the Aczone has little effect when I do breakout now.

Irritating for Sensitive Skin
Reviewed on February 10, 2016

I tried this product after reading the reviews online. Unfortunately, my skin is far too sensitive for this product. It is a great anti-inflammatory and anti-redness agent, which I noticed, but it irritated my skin, so it was inflamed all the time which caused clogged pores. I ended up having red, swollen, rash-like skin on my forehead for a few days after stopping. If you have sensitive skin, I would either recommend a different product of start very slow.