Aczone Dapsone reviews

3.9/5 - 59 reviews

Brand: Aczone

Dapsone (5%).

USP, in a gel of carbomer homopolymer type C; diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, NF; methylparaben, NF; sodium hydroxide, NF; and purified water, USP.

STICK IT OUT
Reviewed on February 1, 2016

I absolutely never post reviews for products, but I promised that if I found a way to clear up my skin, I would let people know. I am 21, female, did not have any serious problems with acne throughout high school, but begun to at 18. Cleared up my skin on tactuo, and with no idea why, begun breaking out in deep painful pimples at 21. All along my jawline, my cheeks, around my mouth, and occasional pimples on my forehead. My t-zone was generally clear but the sides of my face were awful. I believed it to be associated with a hormonal issue. Went on tri cyclen lo, and in the first 3 months my acne worsened. I always had at least 15 breakouts at a time. Once one cleared up, another would be there. Serious self esteem issues developed and I was willing to do anything to clear my skin. Skin begun to show clearing once I STOPPED tactuo (epiduo) entirely, which seemed to be causing my acne to worsen and heal slower, and started using aczone morning and night. All I can suggest, is to STICK IT OUT! The first 2-4 months will suck, I know. But you will be so glad you did, and I also recommend not plastering your face with new products in attempt to fix things. I spent thousands of dollars on products and treatments, and what ended up working was cerave face wash, lotion, and aczone + birth control. Aczone will not dry you out, and it WILL help. Absolutely no other products. Its been 4 months since I started that simple regimen, and aside from my PIH scars, I am clear. Good luck guys, and have hope!! Try to stick it out. Thats all I can say. Also found it helpful to allow aczone to sit on my face 20 minutes before applying moisturizer as it needs time to absorb.

Two Words: Live Saver
Reviewed on December 30, 2015

This product is absolutely amazing. This (plus birth control) cleared up my horrible acne in a few months! I use it every night, and I can immediately tell a difference in the morning that it has worked. Thank goodness this product exists. The only down side is that it is super expensive, but luckily medical insurance is a thing, and I find it completely worth the value. I also think a large reason my skin has improved so much (my dermatologist told me it has improved 75%), is because of the birth control, and I was taking Alesse. It did wonders! I had to switch to Mirvala but I'm hoping it'll stay the same. Seriously, give it a try!

My opinion of Aczone
Reviewed on December 7, 2015

The following statements are my experiences and my opinions.

I was on Aczone at two different times over about a 3 year period. Aczone is a pretty good anti inflammatory. However, it does not do much in terms of preventing new acne from forming. Over time, it decreased in effectiveness. Also, it is very expensive without insurance. As a result, I switched to a more natural treatment that is far superior than any prescription.

Prepare for the purge
Reviewed on October 3, 2015

Purging was not given as a possible side effect to me, but after a week, all of the dormant milia on my face began to bubble up into pustules, pop and then heal fairly quickly. The reason I give this 3 stars is because my face currently resembles a mountain range and looking at myself in the mirror is tough.

I'm not sure how long this is going to continue but I'm hoping it will calm down soon. I would recommend it if you have tried Otc products, birth control, dietary changes and still experience breakouts.

Be diligent and don't give up. I might change the rating if things improve.

update- it's been about two weeks and the pustules, the whiteheads, are beginning to subside on the sides of my face. I had a retinoic acid peel last week which helped the top layer of skin slough off and bring even more dormant milia to the surface.

Initially, my face was very scabby and dry, and now, a week later is beginning to fade. The skin is still very dry, and I'm willing to deal with that. My chin still has a way to go as I can see small little closed comedones, I am using the aczone (I didn't for a few days after the peel) and it is slowly, very slowly improving.

I will continue to use the aczone and think it has potential. I definitely think I need to focus and stick through this since I'm turning 36 soon and I deserve to have clear skin for once in my life.

by Kimmy5 on 11/29/2015 21:27
I recently started aczone myself along with differin. I'm experiencing a breakout as well. Are things getting better for you?
by Mopedgirl on 01/14/2016 04:27
I'm turning 36 this year too and am not happy with how my face looks. Let's just say Aczone is not making any zits heal faster, if anythings it's giving me painful bumps under the skin "cysts." I don't really have cystic acne so it's actually making me extremely nervous. My doctor told me to go on birth control to level my hormone, which I'm also worried about since I'm on the older side. Lets just say my Face hasn't looked or hurt this bad. Going to discontinue and get back to a milder regimen while these stupid birth control pills level out.
Still debating if this is right for me..
Reviewed on September 24, 2015

It's only been a week since I started aczone, but I have to say I am seeing some small results.. Some parts of my face like my chin and one cheek haven't gotten any new breakouts, but my forehead broke out really bad this week and I got one big pimple on my cheek. I used the aczone as a spot treatment and it seems to have shrunk things a little but I wouldn't call it a miracle like some people on here are saying! I don't think this prevents anything though. I use a neutrogena gentle cleanser before I put this on.. What does everyone else use to prevent new pimples??? I'm also not using any other prescriptions and I feel like maybe I need to be for this process to be more successful

by lcalabrese79 on 09/29/2015 21:11
I am on Spironolactone and Retin-A along with Aczone. I had previously been on minocycline for quite a while before switching to Aczone, therefore I was already clear. I can't really say how well Aczone would do to be the thing that clears you up. The spiro plays a huge roll in my face staying under control also. But the three meds together has been working wonderfully for the past 3 months. I was terrified to go off of the minocycline, but the Aczone twice daily has been perfect.
Amazing product
Reviewed on August 19, 2015

I'm a 17 year old male, and like most 17 year old males, I've had my run in with acne. I've tried all of the over-the-counter stuff, prescription antibiotic lotions and retinoids, oral antibiotics, and finally a course of Accutane. Aczone was the last med I tried before Accutane and it saved me until I could get on Accutane. Aczone works extremely well, in my experience, for the red, inflamed, "angry", pimples and breakouts. Using any other products would burn when I put it on my acne but Aczone was actually soothing and I watched the inflammation go down before my eyes. By morning red, inflamed, "angry" pimple would be nothing more than a flat spot. Even after Accutane, I still spot-treat with Aczone because it works so well with my type of acne. A pimple that would last a week disappears overnight. It's extremely expensive for a reason, its an amazing product and a must-have in your acne-fighting arsenal.

by K1992 on 09/24/2015 12:16
How often do you spot treat in a day/ how much do you use each time?
Really works
Reviewed on August 18, 2015

my dermatologist suggested I use this alone with cerave to help my acne. It's very drying, but it goes on the skin easy and dries up acne quickly! If you put it on the night before, in the morning, a lot of pimples will be completely flattened and barely visible. Make sure to use sunscreen and lots of moisturizer when using this product.

by lcalabrese79 on 09/29/2015 21:13
I haven't had a problem with it being drying, and I also use Retin-A. Is there a possibility that you are using too much at one time? I use a pea sized amount for my entire face. I stay clear and don't get dryness.
Great!... But Will Not Get Rid Of Acne By Itself
Reviewed on May 28, 2015

I like Aczone because its very gentle on my skin and is an all-around good gel. Although its a bit drying, I don't think its anything uncomfortable or negative. I love the feeling and consistency of the gel; it spreads on the face very easily. When you apply it to your skin, you can see it lightens the acne, so you can literally apply it before going out or apply it under makeup. The one reason that I don't think it deserves five stars is that Aczone won't get rid of acne by itself. Its more of a helper medication. You need a stronger medication to use along with the Aczone to see fully clear skin in a reasonable amount of time. Also, make sure that you take advantage of the coupons offered on Aczone's website; it can save you a ton of money and makes the relatively high original price much more reasonable.

by Nathanisaballer123 on 06/13/2015 06:56
By any chance do you know if blue cross federal insurance covers it? Or At least some
by lelygrl on 08/19/2015 12:29
I have CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield's federal employee program, and with the coupon on Aczones site, I was able to get the 60 gram for $10. Without the coupon, it would have been $200. For some reason, I couldn't get the 90g for $15, even though that was what my prescription was for. That would have been $200 even with the coupon.
by K1992 on 09/24/2015 12:17
What were you using with the aczone?
Try it!
Reviewed on May 17, 2015

I've tried everything to both prevent and heal large, cystic acne. I don't get huge breakouts or breakouts very often, but when I do get these larger zits, it is 1-2 per day for 1-3 weeks straight, and nothing has ever worked as well as Aczone. It not only works much better at drying up the pimples but also doesn't bleach sheets and clothing. It also doesn't take much for it to work. It is both anti-bacterial (prevents zits) and also heals them and dries them out remarkably fast when they do surface. I am currently without a single cyst or even small zit on my face---not even one. I go through periods of having a face with around a dozen zits, to having none, but I attribute the fast healing process in large part to Aczone (I also use 0.025 tretinoin cream now but only at night and only every second night, very sparingly to help even out my complexion). It also seems to be lightening the scars I have on my face. They were deep, and very hyper-pigmented, and are now barely visible. This, after only one week of use and not even every day/night. If you've tried peroxide creams with limited or no success, this stuff is well worth a shot. It is the best drying agent for already-formed pimples I've used in 15+ years.

TEST BEFORE YOU USE IT!!!
Reviewed on April 27, 2015

i dont want to be super negative about this product but beause i can see how it would work for many. ive been using clyndoxel gel for a year and love it but is a bit drying so i tried out this product on some areas on my chin. my skin s very dry on my chn and im not sure if its the residue of clyndoxel on my skin or the dryness but my skin turned like dark brown after i used this and i had to miss school the next day until the skin was finally exfoliated off. im just saying but test it on a small area of skin before rubbing it on your whole face. it did work for my acne tho

by BL613 on 05/17/2015 20:28
Peroxide + Dapsone = brown stains. It is some kind of chemical reaction. I experienced this as well... but it just seemed to be the cream that turned brown and I could wipe it off right away. Just don't use them at the same time and this will not happen.