Aczone Dapsone reviews

3.7/5 - 39 reviews

Brand: Aczone

Dapsone (5%).

USP, in a gel of carbomer homopolymer type C; diethylene glycol monoethyl ether, NF; methylparaben, NF; sodium hydroxide, NF; and purified water, USP.

It really works!
Reviewed on July 29, 2014

My cousin gave me sample tubes of this product and swore by it! So I decided to try it. She said just be consistent! I did and it works! My acne on my right side of my face is clearer. The dark spots are lighter and my complexion is looking great! I'm trying to get a prescription from my dermatologist!

Excellent
Reviewed on July 7, 2014

I had mild acne throughout high school, but then freshman year of college decided to bless me with a combination of cystic bacne and a painfully broken-out face. OTC benzoyl peroxide did nothing. Finally went to the derm and was prescribed epiduo, and a month on that actually made everything worse. I went back again and was pressured to do Accutane ( I adamantly refused). She eventually decided to put me on a combination of aczone and minocycline. Immediately I loved it. It just feels nice on your skin. In two days my skin was healing. It's a month later and while I still have a bit of bacne and a few small zits, but it is so much better. The zits I do get heal much faster. IF BENZOYL PEROXIDE DOES NOTHING FOR YOU TRY THIS. Doesn't bleach your clothes either. For the first time since the 8th grade I can wear no makeup and feel like a human being.

Suprisingly effective for maintenance
Reviewed on July 4, 2014

In combination with tretinoin at night, this has been surprisingly helpful. It has markedly reduced the amount of larger breakouts I get. I still have some small under-skin pimples that are note very visible, and some blackheads. But this helps keep a lid on the level of breakouts for me.

The downside is the cost. This is the single most expensive component of my acne treatment right now, so I often relay refilling it.

finally something that actually works
Reviewed on May 3, 2014

Like many other people on this site, I've fought a battle with acne and all the self-esteem issues it can cause. After trying multiple antibiotics, topical treatments, and over the counter and home remedies, I kinda started to assume I just had really stubborn acne. But I did over the years start to learn something about my skin. First off, I have hormonal acne, which is a challenge to treat. I also have sensitive skin that quickly reacts to drying acne products by producing huge amounts of oil. When I told my derm this, she prescribed Aczone. She said it works well for people that have problems with the drying ingredients in most acne products, since its not very drying itself.

I'm broke, but I was also desperate, so I forked over the $50 for my first bottle. For once, I was actually shocked at how well an acne product worked! 1 week in, my skin was very noticeably clearer. Now I'm three weeks in, and my skin in mostly clear (hence only the 4 stars) but my skin also seems to heal the zits on my face so much faster than it use to. This is almost life changing for me, since acne has been such a struggle for so long.

I've started using Aczone with spironolactone, too, so hopefully within a few months my skin will be totally clear.

Only downsides of Aczone is the price, it can be slightly drying (but not very) and the fact that it doesn't help improve oiliness at all. Still totally worth it, I've finally found an acne product I love.

Aczone
Reviewed on March 7, 2014

It really didn't work for me at all. Maybe helped lighten some of my scarring but that's about it. It made me break out a little more than usual ever since I started using it. Now, I don't know if that goes along with the whole "it always gets worse before it gets better" but I don't really believe that compared to the other prescription creams I have tried. I'd say you're better off looking into trying epiduo or duac/clindamycin.

Not effective for me
Reviewed on March 1, 2014

I took this in conjunction with minocycline and a Retin-A cream. I applied it twice a day and didn't notice any difference after three months. I didn't get any worse as a result though. I did however become very sensitive to any sunlight.

by jagtarah on 06/04/2014 14:38
Mitch, I am trying to find out more about possible sensitivity to sunlight. On Sunday, I was out in the sun (Phoenix) for about a half hour, and today - for the first time in three weeks - I suddenly have the rash of small pimples all along my cheeks and chin. Is this what you experienced?
by jagtarah on 06/04/2014 14:38
Didn't Really Work At All
Reviewed on February 19, 2014

I have moderate p.acne and some nodular acne. This did nothing for me. You can't use it in conjunction with BP as it will turn your skin orange. Derm's don't prescribe Aczone alone though as it apparently doesn't do anything by itself. I was prescribed it in conjunction with a anti-biotic (Solydyn I think). Anyway, the Aczone did nothing to prevent breakouts. I think it may have made the breakouts a little shorter and less severe, but that may have been the anti-biotics. It was one of the most useless products I used. I used it for approximately 2 months(maybe a little longer). It's also very expensive.

Finally helped clear up my cystic acne!
Reviewed on February 9, 2014

After struggling for several years with cystic acne in my late 20's, I finally decided to see a dermatologist instead of my PCP. I was already taking Minocycline, which helped, but I still had bad cystic acne. The dermatologist prescribed Retin-A Micro (apply at night) and Aczone (apply in morning). In the first month, I didn't notice much improvement, maybe even slightly worse small pimples, but cycstic acne was not worse. After a couple months, I was noticing a definite improvement and by four months, I am thrilled with the results. I think the Retin-A has helped with the small whiteheads/blackheads, while the Aczone is particularly good for the cystic acne (my doctor said it has the ability to penetrate deeper into the skin to kill bacteria than most topicals). At same time as starting these, I started using Cetaphil Oil Control foaming wash and moisturizer, which have been great.

Great For Any Skin Type
Reviewed on January 30, 2014

Began using this product when dermatologist recommended it for new routine. Wasn't quite sure how it would work at first. But, it has no scent and it's light and works excellently and doesn't stain clothing like other products do (contains benzoyl Peroxide). Will keep using. Works well for my sensitive skin.

It's not a miracle cure - but it DOES work!
Reviewed on January 10, 2014

I have adult acne - I never had acne in my teens - and it has been a struggle to get it under control. The type of acne I have is cystic with large nodules that are very painful with several angry red pustules, and a lot of scarring. I have been on a regimen of retin-a 0.05% at night with Aczone in the morning for about 6 months, and I have had really good results. Do I still get acne - yes. Is it like it was before - definetly not! When I do get a cluster of pimples (usually right around my period) I double up on the Aczone and even put it on under my Retin A at night, and it clears up withing 2 days. I will say that this product is very expensive (with just my insurance I have to pay $90!) HOWEVER they offer coupons a lot on their site so I wind up paying around $25 for a 30g tube, which is worth it to me. A tube lasts me far longer than a month, because I use it for spot treatment only.