Acnecide Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel reviews

3.9/5 - 20 reviews

Brand: Acnecide

Benzoyl Peroxide (5%).

Docusate sodium, disodium edetate, poloxamer 182, carbomer 940, propylene glycol, acrylates copolymer, glycerol, colloidal anhydrous silica, water, sodium hydroxide.

Itchy but works sometimes
Reviewed on June 20, 2017

I used to use this in the past when I had a few spots and it really made my skin dry out but it worked but I stoped using it because I only had a few spot. But now I have been diagnosed with mild acne and dermatitis so I thought I'd try this again, it doesn't give me any dryness but it's just really itchy I use a dermatologist moisturiser as well

Anyone know why this is happening ???

by Sb1987 on 06/26/2017 21:46
Lower concentrations of benzoyl peroxide are recommended. 2.5% is effective but without the dryness/irritation commonly found in 5% or even 10% concentrations. Look for a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel. I think acne.org still sells its own brand. Alternatively continue to use 5% in small amounts. Also, the regimen on acne.org recommends also using an oil free cleanser. This is very good advice.
First 2 uses
Reviewed on June 14, 2017

I have been using this for the past 2 nights before I go to bed on areas of my skin where my acne is prevalent. I have noticed my acne is less aggressive and hopefully stopping more acne appearing. I am slightly worried that this is a product that will work for the first week but will become less effective as my skin gets use to it. So far no ichyness or dryness/red patches.

Life changer
Reviewed on May 30, 2017

I went to the doctor about my depression and acne and she recommended acnecide. This gel is amazing! I have tried everything to remove spot scars and blemishes including baking soda and face washes but nothing worked and I felt terrible. This 5% benzoyl peroxide is LIFE CHANGING and made me have much more confidence in the way I look. I can go out now makeup free finally and don't have to cake my face in tonnes of foundation. It gives my skin a healthy glow. For me it doesn't dry my skin that much it actually feels moisturising after washing it off with just water. At first it feels dry but your skin will get used to it within a week! This cream worked in less than two days it's a miracle. I use quite a lot as it sinks in your skin fast but that's good. Just need a bigger tube! I get the odd spot but nothing like what it used to be I feel like a totally different person thanks Acnecide!

Would not recommend
Reviewed on May 28, 2017

This gel gets a big no from me. I've been using it sparingly every now and then during a big breakout. It did definitely work for the breakouts even ones that were on my face fit weeks with no sign of going away.

HOWEVER: I could only use this product once over night (I never used it during the day) on top of moisturiser and Only a minimal amount. If that was done one night and never again, the redness it created would go away fairly quickly. 1-2 days and my skin was fine.

The moment I applied it the next night, the next morning I the area was extremely red, EXTREMELY dry which felt like a dry shell created over the area, the area swelled up a little + my skin burnt a bit. Saying that, my skin at the moment is still red to this day (been like this for roughly 4 days now) but it is slowly going away. The area is still raised due to swelling. The dryness is horrid and nothing seems to help. I still get some burning sensation on one area I applied this on my cheek despite not using this for 4 days and having washed my face every evening and morning since.

I would only recommend this if your skin is tough and can take the usage of this more than one time in a row.

Red itchy bumps
Reviewed on April 20, 2017

So I bought the acnecide gel on 13/04/17 and to be fair I don't really suffer from acne but this year I've been getting a lot of spots but not a lot at once however it still did frustrate me! Anyways I decided to give acnecide a go after reading all the reviews and it worked so good! That one spot on my forehead was slowly disappearing. I would apply a thin layer once a day just before I went to bed. Although I did apply it on the areas that I was prone to get spots. My skin looked amazing I was getting so happy. On the 10th day (16/04/17) I woke up with two massive bumps on my forehead and a lot of spots on my cheeks. I basically got a reaction on the areas I had applied the cream. The spots and bumps were red and really itchy and honestly made me feel so down. The two bumps on my forehead were so bizarre. The texture of it was more or less scaly if I had to be honest. Today it's 20/10/17 my face is a lot more better. My two bumps on my forehead have gone with a slight redness which will take probably another day or two to heal. My left cheek has slight redness too but my right cheek has no redness whatsoever which means my right cheek is back to normal. However I have gotten a lot of tiny spots around my face which are not quite as visible but I'm hoping that they'll go away soon. Hope my review helps a lot of you guys! Btw I am a 22 year old, Sri Lankan.

by TS123 on 05/02/2017 10:51
Has your reaction to the cream improved and are you still using it?
by Thatgracegirl on 06/16/2017 22:45
What did u use to get the bumps to go away? I've had the same reaction
Lifesaver
Reviewed on January 22, 2017

I love this cream. I have never had perfect skin but lately it's been really bad. Dermatologist said it's hormonal as it's all around my mouth and jaw area. I feel like I've tried everything but nothing works. I recently started using acnicide 5%. Been using it for about 3 days now. Morning and night over my entire face. Already I have seen amazing results. My skin is so dry but not sore at all. I apply this and then let it dry and put a tiny bit of savlon over the spots. I have also been taking lymecycline 408mg for about a week. My skin is clearing so quickly.

by ErikaW on 05/30/2017 14:48
Me too I love using acnecide my skin is finally free!
dry skin
Reviewed on January 1, 2017

I've been using this stuff for about a week and its working great!. But it's giving me dry skin, like really dry, did I put too much on? I touch my face and it feels weird, and when I move my face, it feels stiff like. But other than that, it's working fine.

by moodamoo55 on 01/08/2017 17:36
Use moisturiser about 20 minutes after using the acnecide. If your skin ends up too dry then skip a couple of days as it sounds like It's drying out x
It works! ... but be sensible with it.
Reviewed on December 2, 2016

I've used this cream for nearly 3 years now and it's my go to cream. I suffer from mild to moderate acne from the cheeks down. I've tried so many things and it was just exhausting, so now I've found something (that isn't a miracle worker, but it definitely helps), I might as well live with it instead of wasting my life trying to find the perfect solution. Stick with it, it will burn and you'll hate it when you laugh because your skin will feel like its ripping, but your skin will soon adapt to it. Use a very small amount and focus on problem areas. It bleaches so don't put it on and then get into bed, let it dry first. I use it in the evenings only, don't over do it unless you have severe acne, then use in the mornings as well, but ONLY A LITTLE.

I use Cetaphil moisturiser and that's it. No fancy routine with toners and whatever else they have, and it's worked okay for me.

Please give it time and be patient while your skin adjusts. And remember, more cream doesn't mean it will work better, it'll just make your face VERY sore.

GOOD LUCK :)

by Soarin on 01/01/2017 22:01
thanks for this, my skin is really dry and i knew i was putting to much on. Thanks!
I highly recommend this product
Reviewed on September 30, 2016

When I was 15 years old I got the implant it was going fine for about 6 months. I started to feel my face was starting to get really sore , boils & spots started show up & my face was all red & sore to touch or even sleep on. I then ended up with server acne. I was out on tablets , different creams & I even got referred to a skin specialist that's tried to put me on tablets that is actually been barred I America cause of the amount of sucides it caused , as they were giving people with mental health issues , server depression & server anxiety them without getting a letter from the doctor to see if it safe to give them the tablets. I thankfully got a letter from my doctor saying I'm not aloud to be giving the tablets the skin specialist wanted me to go on. I saw my doctor about a week or 2 after and he gave me acnecide to try to see if there would be any difference in my skin. I saw a massive change in my skin after a couple of weeks of using acnecide every night even sometimes I would put it on in the morning as well. Cause I have server acne for life I'm having to use the cream for the rest of my life just so it doesn't break out again. I now live with this skin condition for the rest of my life, I'm now 19 years old & My skin is now all back to Normal & is very smooth so I highly recommend acne cide to every one who is suffering or has been suffering for many years if acne. You would be able to see exactly how much there is a difference in your skin.

Any suggestions?
Reviewed on May 14, 2016

I'm 13, and I started using this product about 5 months ago. The first month or 2 had gone really well, no breakouts and the acne scarring started to clear up. But then I used that tube all up and there wasn't any available so I had to wait about a week or so. In that week all my acne started coming back and it was awful, when I finally got my hands on some cream it didn't work aswell as it did the first time. To be honest it made it worse and I hate my skin and I don't like going out with my friends and I hate going to school I just need some help, please give me some suggestions.

by Perry15 on 12/02/2016 21:41
Whenever you stop using a BP cream your acne will start to creep back unless you use a back up solution. Your skin was preparing to flare up again and then you started using the cream again. Your face was probably very confused. Like you did the first time, stick to it for a while and your skin will improve again. And bad skin is very very common in youngsters, noone at school will notice it, and i'm guessing you scrutinise your face to high heavens in the mirror, noone is ever going to give your face that much attention, or be that close I should think. Enjoy being young and enegetic, with great friends. Your skin will get better before you know it. I hope it's working again for you now :)