Acne.org Moisturizer with Licochalcone reviews

2.8/5 - 295 reviews

Brand: Acne.org

Acne.org Moisturizer with Licochalcone

Water, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Methyl Gluceth-20, Squalane, Saccharide Isomerate, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Olivate, Cetearyl Olivate, PEG-12 Glyceryl Distearate, PEG-23 Glyceryl Distearate, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

8 oz. Moisturizer
16 oz. Moisturizer
2 oz. Moisturizer

doesn't really moisturize
Reviewed on March 15, 2015

I've been using the acne.org regiment for 3 months now. My acne has gotten sooooo much better since then but my skin feels grows, oily and flakey all the time. I can barley move my face because when i do it just cracks and looks horrible. I wish that the moisturizer was as good as the treatment but it just seems to bring the quality of the whole regimen down.

Good but not perfect
Reviewed on September 27, 2014

This product contains methyl gluceth-20 rather than glycerin, so in order for it to moisturize sufficiently, you need to use a generous amount (Dan recommends 2 full pumps). However, this product contains licochalcone, which isn't a con intrinsically but is in the sense that the more you use the more of a yellow tint your skin will have. It will certainly leave a yellow residue on your face. To prevent this, moisturize both your face and neck (similar to applying makeup on your neck to prevent a noticeable line). However, I did notice that the licochalcone calmed my skin after I got a sunburn. This formulation is an oil-in-water emulsification with jojoba oil being one of the main ingredients. Because of this, it made my skin look and feel a bit greasy. It seems to sit on the skin rather than to absorb, and it doesn't eradicate flakiness. Now for the positives: It is lightweight, which makes spreading a breeze--therefore reducing irritation. Although It is completely non-comedogenic, it contains cetearyl alcohol. I believe this ingredient alone ranks 2/5 in comedogenicity. Anything with a rank below 3/5 is not considered comedogenic because the risk of pore-plugging is negligible. In order for cetearyl alcohol to be comedogenic, it must be combined with ceteareth-20 (which ranks 4/5). It is fragrance free and dye free. As with every other product, one that is perfect for one person may not be perfect for another. We each have our own needs. This lotion is good--and while perfect for Dan and others--not for me. At any rate, it is one of the best lotions you will find for use with the Regimen.

Not too bad, but tans your face
Reviewed on February 21, 2015

It glides across your skin perfectly, goes on top of the BP perfectly, and smells great. Hasn't directly broke me out as far as I know and it does take some time to sink in. I only recommend JoJoba oil if you find yourself drying up with flakes not long after the application. Now for the downside, which is causing me to look for another moisturiser to use in the regimen. It gives you a tawny pigmentation on your face and considering most people with acne are usually advised to avoid too much sun - your face is discoloured and doesn't correspond with your neck and body. If this wasn't yellow, it would be one of the best moisturiser's for acne prone skins, to ever be created. Does it shine? Yes. Does it take a while to stop being noticeable on your skin? Yes. But it is also comforting and calming for your skin? Definitely. I doubt Dan, the guru of acne, but create a moisturiser that causes acne, despite the fact everybody has different skin, I'd ignore the other unnecessarily negative reviews. I'd say, 8/10, this will work for the average acne sufferer, if you can put up with the colouring (or maybe your skin doesn't even react the same way, or you have a natural similar pigment).

I think this gives me white heads
Reviewed on January 13, 2015

I had my acne under control, using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, BP 2.5%, Olay Moisturizing lotion for Sensitive Skin. Then about 2 days ago I decided to bust out my unopened Acne.org moisturizer. Put the moisturizer on at night, and the next day a few white heads appeared (chin, side of face). I was surprised considering it was advertised for acne users. In addition, it is not a good consistency because it was too watery.

I will be continuing with experimentation of moisturizers. My next up is Vanicream lite lotion.

Awful Moisturizer
Reviewed on December 22, 2014

I can't believe that I'm saying this about an acne.org product, but... this stuff actually makes me break out. I'm very aware of my acne and this stuff gave me pimples in areas that I never break out in. It did a good job at taking care of flakes but waking up to small white heads every day isn't a good trade off.

Being that I've been using Acne.org products for almost 5 years now, I really wanted to like this moisturizer; but it just isn't a great product. This one needs help Dan...

by peacemama on 02/10/2015 05:47
Exactly my experience w/ this moisturizer too.
meh...
Reviewed on November 29, 2014

I tried the trial version of this product. I just wasn't pleased enough to order any more of it. I think it left my skin looking oilier than I would have liked. On the plus side, it did not irritate my skin and seemed to be quite moisturizing. Currently, I'm using CeraVe moisturizing lotion instead and sometimes (at night) mix that with jojoba oil.

Definitely not for everyone...
Reviewed on November 16, 2014

I've used Dan's moisturizer for about a month and it really pains me to give this product a low rating because The Regimen was a life saver for me at one point in my life when the old formula was in use. Dan is a saint, man. On paper, this moisturizer has everything an acne afflicted person would want. Unfortunately, just like with many things in life, this is NOT for everyone. In my experience, the jojoba oil caused my skin to gradually get worse and worse. I kept waking up to new acne almost every week. To add insult to injury, it did next to nothing hydrating my face even when I added more jojoba(BAD IDEA) and went up to 3 pumps. I'm not saying that this is a bad product, I'm just saying that it's bad for me specifically. If it works for you, awesome. If only Dan would make an oil-free version, I would go crazy with joy. I'm sure lots of you guys will. C, mon, Danny boy, hear us out a little bit.

Sad but true
Reviewed on November 3, 2014

Absolutely does not work for me! Not really moisturizes. The skin is dry and peel off! Very sorry!

Average, but not Great
Reviewed on October 7, 2014

Because everyone's skin is different, it is impossible to judge whether this moisturizer will work for you. In my case, the moisturizer provided everything as advertised in the first few weeks. However, every day after that I felt no relief at all and eventually stopped using it entirely. For those on the Regimen, it's best to use this until you are almost perfectly clear and then switch to a different moisturizer. I would recommend using Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream as it synergizes well with the Regimen and is priced in the same range as this one.

The common complaint of "shininess" and "yellow coloring" can be argued for but are easily dealt with using a thin paper towel. Other than these two issues, I didn't feel any other side effects.

To sum things up, if you have struggled with dry skin in the past, pass this up. For those whose skin is oily, I cannot speak on your behalf and wouldn't know the results for your skin type. For those who never have to worry about dryness, this product will probably work more favorably for you.

I will not buy this again
Reviewed on September 11, 2014

The first problem when i started using this moisturizer was the matte color that it leaves on my skin (i have a very light skin), it wasn't really a problem until the week 4 when my skin started to become more dry and the flakiness out of control, 2 full pumps with 6 drops of jojoba oil wasn't enough for me anymore, i started to use it more than 4 times in the day (and my skin was still dry) it takes A LOT to absorb and i dont have so much time in the morning because of the school, my skin color was like i put mustard on my face, everyone asking me what happened with my skin or if i were on a holiday... I started to search for a new moisturizer and i found the Avène - Clean-AC Hydrating Cream for people who are on an acne treatment and the reviews that i found were good so i bough it, the first day was OK but in the second day it burned my skin, if it wasn't for the burn i will 100% recommend the avene moisturizer because it worked perfect in the hydration and the flakiness and it doesn't leaves the skin shiny but you guys can try it and see if it works on you. Now im searching again a new moisturizer, please recommend me one if you are on the regimen and you arent using dan´s moisturizer.

by zari56 on 01/10/2015 05:46