Acne.org Moisturizer

Average price: $18.63

Brand: Acne.org

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Ontario on 02/07/2013

It's 2013 and I still miss Dan's old moisturizer. It was light, moisturizing, and left your skin feeling refreshed and radiant. It was undeniably a better moisturizer; the ratings speak for themselves. I got tired of the uncomfortable feeling the new moisturizer leaves you with, and switched to Neutrogena's oil-free moisturizer for sensitive skin. It's not even close to Dan's old moisturizer, but still way better than the terrible new moisturizer by acne.org..

Pros:
  • None.
Cons:
  • Doesn't moisturize effectively; leaves skin feeling sticky and uncomfortable, and flaky. With prolongued use, skin takes on a yellow tinge, especially when you use as much as you're directed to (initially 2 pumps, later Dan's update stated to 'just use more' if it wasn't working). Stains clothing and fabrics. Smells bad. It's yellow.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful

Water, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Methyl Gluceth-20, Squalane, Saccharide Isomerate, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Olivate, Cetearyl Olivate, PEG-12 Glyceryl Distearate, PEG-23 Glyceryl Distearate, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

8 oz. Moisturizer
16 oz. Moisturizer
2 oz. Moisturizer

Member reviews

“Rubbish in a bottle”
By on

I never write reviews, but this product is so bad that I have to warn people. I would have given this 0 stars if that was possible. This is by far the worst moisturizer I have ever used. Too greasy, not moisturizing enough, don't use when wearing makeup. I have used the other regimen products too, I don't get what the fuss is all about. Apart from the benzoyl peroxide (which is way too irritating, but at least it works a little), the other products are a complete waste of money.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Too greasy
  • Not moisturizing enough
  • for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Best Moisturizer!”
By on

At first I didn't like the feel of this moisturizer on my skin. However, with the Acne.org Treatment my skin was getting more dry (also because of the weather too - winter...) I use 2 pumps at night mixed with 2-3 drops of Jojoba Oil and 1 pump in the morning mixed with 2 drops of Jojoba oil. So far it's been great! The moisturizer definitely helps with the dryness and it also doesn't make my skin break out. In fact, it's been helping my skin look better! It does have a slight tint on the skin however, but during the morning I use my sunscreen which has a white cast.. so my skin does not appear as yellow/tan or too white, perfect combo! At night I do not mind about the color! Also you get a lot for the price, I always buy the double-sized one! Just a little note, I use the Acne.org Treatment only at night and I also use a blotting sheet during the morning just to remove the excess oil. It's the best moisturizer for acne-prone skin!

Pros

• Gentle, unscented
  • Doesn't make your skin breakout
  • Affordable

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for a few months
  • $ 27.82
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Excellent moisturizer”
By on

I'm updating my previous review. This is the best moisturizer on the market, bar none. And despite what some other grumpy reviewers say, it far superior to Dan's old moisturizer (which was last available three years ago, so give it up already). The licorice root extract found in this product is very calming and soothing to the skin. The moisturizer goes on light and when it dries you quickly forget you have anything on your very face. It's very moisturizing and soothing. In the dead of winter, I find that occasionally I still have flakes, so sometimes I mix this at night with jojoba oil. That solves the problem.

Also, if you think this leaves a shine, just do what you should do with all moisturizing products. Twenty minutes after application, gently pat your face with a paper towel. Shiny look gone. I get angered by a few of the poor reviews here, because this is truly an amazing product. Try it.

Pros

• This moisturizer feels good on the skin. It is light, so it doesn't feel heavy on your face. It is not shiny or greasy, and gives your skin a good color or glow.
  • Nice feel, nice look. Definitely will NOT break you out.
  • Lightweight and soothing to the skin.

Cons

• Sometimes in the
  • for more than a year
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Fantastic but tints skin”
By on

This is the first moisturizer I have ever used that does not break me out. I love how non-greasy it feels on my face and how easy it is to spread. It's primary con is that makes me appear significantly more tanned. I have darker skin with yellow undertones, so I am surprised that it doesn't blend with my skin tone, and instead leaves my face noticeably darker in comparison to my neck.

Pros

• Non-greasy but sufficiently moisturizing
  • Does not cause breakouts
  • Spreads easily causing minimal irritation

Cons

• Makes face look more tanned/darker than actual skin color
  • Stings slightly and briefly after BP application
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“BEST moisturizer1”
By on

I can't believe some of the other reviews! I was hesitant to purchase this because of the mixed reviews, but I am so glad I did purchase it. It is smooth and perfectly moisturizing with out any greasy residue. It is also super calming for my skin. I have fair, very acne prone skin and it DOES NOT stain me or make me break out. I really don't get why that is happening to other people. Maybe they aren;t using it right or something. Love the whole regime. My skin has not been this clear in years.

• I recommend using this product/treatment.

“I wanted it to work for me :(”
By on

This will be a fairly long winded review, because it covers my whole experience using this product over the last few years.

I had originally started using it when I discovered acne.org and wanted to give the whole regimen a try. I had tried absolutely every other thing without any success and suffered severe acne for almost 20 years (since I was twelve and I was about 30 when I first tried The Regimen). So at first, I bought all the products and followed The Regimen exactly and it worked pretty well. My skin cleared dramatically! All of my cysts and blackheads were gone and even some of the scars from my past breakouts were starting to fade.

However, I did have trouble with flaking and for months, I just couldn't seem to get it under control. It wasn't as bad as some other products had made me flake, but bad enough that I couldn't really put on makeup and there were a few patches that were dry, itchy and uncomfortable no matter what I did. So I decided that as my bottle of this moisturizer was about empty, not to reorder it and find something else that might work better. Though, I did continue to use the bp, because Dan's bp is the best!

I switched to two moisturizers to replace this, one in the morning, Cetaphil Dermacontrol w/ SPF, and Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue in the evening. That worked fine, the flaking was gone and I could start wearing makeup again.

Recently though, two months ago, I decided after all this time that I wanted to give this moisturizer another try. I was all out of bp and needed to reorder, and had decided that I also wanted to give Dan's AHA+ a try. I figured that the AHA might make a big difference and that the moisturizer might work a lot better with it. And I really did want it to work out for me, because his moisturizer really is much more reasonably priced than drugstore brands. Most drugstore brands come in a 4oz (or smaller!) bottle and average around $10. And that can get really expensive :/ So, I was really hoping that this time I would get it figured out...

I didn't though :( For the whole two months I used all Dan's products and just couldn't shake the flake no matter what. Mind you, I only use bp at night now, I have found that my skin stays perfectly clear having reduced my bp application to once daily. I also only use 1 pump, not two, because I really don't need more than that. And still the flaking was unconquerable! In the morning I would mix about 2 parts AHA+ to 1 part moisturizer, and that would be okay. But I still couldn't put makeup on. There were still flakes, rough patches and the overall texture of my skin was kinda blah.

At night, I would have to add so much jojoba to the moisturizer that my face would be slick with the oil and I would have to wait about an hour and a half for it to absorb enough that there wouldn't be oil puddles on the the pillowcase.

So, last week, with half a bottle of the moisturizer left, I just gave it up and got something different. I decided to try CereVe Moisturizing Lotion instead and so far, perfect.

Pros

• reasonably priced

Cons

• odd texture
  • not hydrating enough for me
  • for more than a year
  • $ 17
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Awesome if you know how.”
By on

This moisterizer turns you orange if have skinflakes and then apply moisterizer. Because of the yellow colour and the dead skin layer, you will get a weird tan look. So here is what I do to prevent.

At night I wash my skin, apply bp and then mix acne.org moisturizer with aha (about a peanut sized drop).

In the morning I wash my skin and if I feel that I have a little bit of flakes, I will remove them with a warm and wet towel. Very gentle so I don't irritate my skin. Then I apply 1 pump of moisturizer and be set for the day.

Pros

• Doesn't make your skin oily if you apply the right amount
  • Dries quickly
  • Doesn't irritate your skin or makes it red like other moisturizers

Cons

• If you have a layer of dead skincells it will look like you've got a really weird tan
  • Expensive
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Makes you look yellow”
By on

Can only use this at night because it makes me look yellow.

Pros

• Easy to apply

Cons

• the yellow color
  • Can only use it at night because of the color
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 18
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“not moisturizing enough”
By on

I have dry skin, this moisturizer does nothing for me

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• not moisturizing
  • the yellow color
  • for a few weeks
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Too greasy and not moisturizing enough”
By on

Not a bad moisturizer at all, the ingredients are very nice but I would love it if jojoba oil was a bit lower and sodium hyaluronate a bit higher in the ingredients list. I don't find jojoba oil moisturizing enough and still it leaves quite a greasy residue which is a problem if you have oily skin like me. It absorbs after 15mins but it's still very greasy so I use it just over night and it works ok. I would very much prefer if I could add jojoba oil myself.

Pros

• really good ingredients
  • calming on the skin

Cons

• greasy residue, too much jojoba for oily skin
  • could be a bit more moisturizing
  • for a few months
  • $ 18
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.