Acne.org AHA+ (Glycolic Acid - 10%) reviews

4.4/5 - 342 reviews

Brand: Acne.org

Acne.org AHA+ (Glycolic Acid - 10%)

6 oz. AHA+ (10% Glycolic Acid + Licochalcone)
updated: 01/01/1970 00:00 UTC
16 oz. AHA+ (10% Glycolic Acid + Licochalcone)
updated: 01/01/1970 00:00 UTC
3.4 oz. AHA+ (10% Glycolic Acid + Licochalcone)

Very bad!
Reviewed on July 18, 2016

This is an awful product. My skin had a very bad reaction to it and I would NOT recommend it. It causes irritation and redness and increases acne.

Mixed with Acne.org Moisturizer and Neutrogena Sunscreen
Reviewed on June 22, 2016

Acne.org Moisturizer and AHA+ are slightly thick when used by themselves but thin out to a milk-like consistency when mixed. It's much more easily applied this way, so irritation is reduced. It glides right over your skin without clumping up with any of the underlying benzoyl peroxide, as some moisturizers do. This mixture quickly absorbs and leaves a nice matte finish, yet it moisturizes better than any lotion I tried. Only this allows me to use three pumps' worth of Acne.org Treatment twice/day without experiencing uncomfortable dryness.

I read that the pH rises after mixing (it becomes buffered/less acidic), so daily use isn't a problem. Too much AHA actually can increase dryness and flakiness, but this provides just enough so that your skin renews without the harsh effects of chemical-peels and stronger AHA products. Since I do this in the morning, I add in a quarter-size amount of liquid sunscreen by Neutrogena right into my palm before mixing. Look for products like this in their Ultra Sheer or Clear Face range to use in this combination.

Question
Reviewed on July 18, 2016

I've only been on the regimen for about two weeks. The instructions say to use the glycolic acid after one month of being on the regimen but I find that my real problem are just red marks/blemishes. I get pimples but it's not severe. Is it bad that I started using it too early? I mix it with the acne.org moisturizer.

Nice
Reviewed on July 12, 2016

Been using the three step regimen for about four weeks now and i have just started applying the Glycolic acid. Seems lovely so far. It glides onto the skin very easily. There is a slight tingle sensation as i am on my first week but nothing overbearing so fantastic

definitely use this if you are suffering from dry, flaky skin due to the 2.5 Benzoyl Peroxide
Reviewed on June 22, 2016

My skin was so flaky due to the regimen that I could literally peel it off. My skin was also oddly getting darker in the areas I was using the benzoyl peroxide. However, this product took care of the problem and made my skin EXTREMELY smooth and fixed any discoloration. When you first use it, it will irritate and turn you into a tomato but after the third time, it should work. Make sure to use it mixed with moisturizer. For me, I use PONDS moisturizer since its very thick and other moisturizer are not as effective for me, aka Cerave moisturizer. If youre still experiencing dry skin or "purging", try switching to a thicker moisturizer!!

by jackiwoj on 06/24/2016 20:05
I had the exact same problem...I was flaky AND my skin was turning an odd purple/brown tone where I applied BP. Question- how many days do you use this? And do you apply BP before you apply the AHA?
by 312834_1443948898 on 06/27/2016 23:40
@jackiwoj After about a month of using benzoyl peroxide, i started gradually incorporating the AHA into my regimen. First day I did 1:1 moisturizer to AHA...and it made my face super red so i stopped using it for about 2 days..then I tried it again using 1:1 ratio again..it was still red so I once again stopped using it for about 2 days, then I tried for the third time and the next day my face was significantly better and did not burn as much! After about a 1.5 weeks, I did the 1:1 ratio every other day! My skin stopped flaking after the 5th time I applied it so hopefully it works for you!! If youre worried that you will have severe redness, start out really slowly and work your way up. You might also purge a bit so beware. I did not purge much, just 2 pimples!
by 312834_1443948898 on 06/27/2016 23:40
by jackiwoj on 06/28/2016 18:45
Thanks so much for the info!
by BellMari on 06/30/2016 15:26
how much time before you see change in more even skin tone? (discolouration) :)
by jackiwoj on 07/20/2016 14:54
@BellMari- I start to see my red marks fade in about 5-7 days. After a few weeks many of them are gone completely!
Heaven Sent!!
Reviewed on June 20, 2016

As soon as I use this product I feel it working. (Tingling and doing it's job) This product is a must have. I was, at one point, breaking out so badly and when it was time to use this, literally the very next day all my acne calmed down. The visible bumps and white/blackheads were gone. I love this solely for night time use. This product is definitley amazing. Thank you, it's heaven sent.

Thank you!
Reviewed on June 14, 2016

I never write reviews, but I had to for this product. Its the only thing that's helped me with my scarring and red marks. I dont have to wear tinted moisturizer anymore, just a bit of concealer (I'm a guy). Only been using this since the end of May and I've been getting great results already, red marks have improved drastically. I know I'm not on it a month yet so some mightn't believe me, but it is hands down the only product that has improved my skin after 9 years of severe acne, the only other thing that has helped is diet restrictions. Can't wait to see the progress from this product at the end of the summer.

by BellMari on 06/16/2016 06:17
I am using this product for the same reason as you (red marks)! Only 2 days of use tho. Do you use it daily or every other night??? :)
Weakened already dry skin and led to worse acne
Reviewed on May 27, 2016

I will start out by saying that I have naturally dry skin which may be the reason why I did not have success with this product.

I did not use this product in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide because I have found bp to be very irritating no matter how much I moisturized. Now, I only rinse my face with water and moisturize.

Thinking that my dry skin needed to be exfoliated to deal with the flaking skin and small breakouts on my cheeks and cystic acne on my chin, I started to use the 10% glycolic acid in place of my moisturizer every 2nd - 3rd day. I found this product extremely deceptive because I did not notice any harm at first - there was no redness or stinging. However after 2 months + of using glycolic acid this way, the acne on my cheeks started to spread very slowly. At the time, I thought the worsening of my acne may be due to diet (I ate very well but thought maybe gluten or dairy were contributors), stress, digestive issues, dirty pillowcases, etc. I did not even consider that the glycolic acid was making my acne worse because there were no immediate negative side effects. I would also use glycolic acid as a spot treatment for cystic chin acne and sometimes I thought that it helped. If I didn't catch the pimple right away though - the glycolic acid would stop it from coming to a head, but I suppose the infection spread beneath the skin because I would get deep, painful pimples all around the original pimple.

Once I stopped using glycolic acid and kept on just moisturizing, the health of my skin improved dramatically and when I did get a cystic pimple on my chin, it would just come to a head, heal and no new pimples would form around the original.

My advice for anyone with dry acne-prone skin: DO NOT USE CHEMICAL EXFOLIATION. Perhaps every now and then is fine, but moisturizing is definitely the best thing that I have found helpful for my skin.

by BellMari on 06/17/2016 16:04
Did you have active acne at the moment of starting glycolic? Because I contacted them to ask if I could start glycolic even without the regiment since i do not have acne but only red marks. And they said if you do NOT have active acne, sure do...
Great, but do NOT overuse!
Reviewed on May 19, 2016

So I have normal, non-sensitive skin. I've used this product six consecutive days in a row without mixing with other moisturizer, thinking that I would be okay. I only used an amount the size of a pea daily and spot-treated on parts where I had acne. I felt my skin texture becoming quite smooth and tiny bumps on my forehead clearing up (that did not disappear completely with just BP) by the fourth day.

However, by the sixth day, my face burned and felt irritated. I've stopped using it again temporarily as I want my weakened skin to recover. At least I know for sure it definitely does its job of exfoliating. It was stupid of me to be greedy and overuse. Also, do not put on too much at once either, because that may also cause your skin to burn and sting.

Overall, good exfoliator and surprisingly, it was actually moisturizing as well. I just really want to stop anyone from overusing. It is highly likely that this on its own won't heal acne itself, but I think it's worth a shot.

This product saved my live
Reviewed on May 18, 2016

after the initial little purge you might get, and slight irritation of the skin, this product really keeps your skin in great condition. I do believe that every person is different, and the treatments that may work for me, may not work for other people, but this product truly changed my life. It's my life blood and I don't go anywhere without it. It really drastically improved my skin over time, and when I do get a small breakout from time to time, I never really stress out because I know the product will eventually eliminate it. I used this product on my face and I have to say it might be strong for some people, but for me it worked wonders! great product