Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2071 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

mental and possible physical health effects
Reviewed on January 11, 2017

i felt a negative change in my mental state, mental fog difficulty speaking to other and some symptoms of depression after taking this drug for a couple of weeks and thus stopped after about 2 months. I would not recommend, as whether or not any of the long term physical effects are proven or not, anything that changes ur mental state when it is not meant to is scary....

Cleared up my back
Reviewed on January 8, 2017

It works. But you need to give it some time and consult your dermatologist for right dosage.

All the side effects you read about will happen but with time and consultation it will go away. Hang in there.

awful
Reviewed on January 7, 2017

do NOT take this medication. It has ridiculous side effects and makes women infertile in most cases. Please save yourself the troubles.

Estrogen levels
Reviewed on December 22, 2016

I took Accutane about 10 years ago. Since then I have been battling with my estrogen levels being too low. Causing long drawn out periods that come early and can last for 2-4 months without stopping. I also am at a lower chance of being able to get pregnant. This means I take artificial estrogen on top of birth control which is an increase to developing cancer. Wondering if anyone else has had these issues or similar after taking this med?

by WishClean on 01/09/2017 18:43
I have no experience with accutane, but I have experienced low estrogen levels due to PCOS & other hormonal imbalances. Do not take artificial estrogen, it's very risky. Instead, look into the DIM supplement or bioidentical estrogen.
Horrible side effects for treating acne!
Reviewed on December 14, 2016

Yeah it cleared up my wife's acne, but also gave my son heart malformations for wich he had heart surgery at 5 days old and my wife developed ulcerative colitis which has no cure. None of the really strong medications given have been able to control her symptoms and she will most likely end up with surgery removing her entire colon. And yes the link has been proven that's why they've paid out millions in lawsuits.

by smiles23 on 12/20/2016 03:23
I am so sorry to hear about your wife and son. I wish them strong health in the coming months. Thank you so much for posting this I think poeple need to hear the risks taken when deciding whether or not to go on accutane. I almost took it but decided against it based on the possibiliy of long term side versus a superficial issue. I don't think the seriousness of this drug is discussed enough
by JuliaSNYC on 12/20/2016 20:36
Did your wife take the medication while pregnant with your son or before she got pregnant?
by DecidingDenim on 01/09/2017 19:56
i'm so sorry to hear about your son and wife. But uf i may ask, did this happening due to your wife being on the medication at the time of the pregnancy or was it after she finished the treatment. Would help a lot for a response.
Works very well
Reviewed on December 12, 2016

It is a very good product. It starts working immediately and you can see the signs very quickly. You will stop getting breakouts almost as you start taking the pills. This is because it will make your skin very dry. Like very very dry. So use moisturizers, sunscreen and lip balm as much as you can. They will probably start you off with a small dose and then increase it. I had to do blood tests every month to make sure no side effects were happening. And nothing did except for the dry skin. After a while my skin was very clear. So i stopped taking the pill. A bit of acne started coming back afterwards but now with use of creams it's under control. So overall a very good product. Defenitley saved me during high school. Would recommend it for anyone with bad acne

Worked but didn't last
Reviewed on November 22, 2016

Started working immediately, no initial breakout, minimum side effects beyond chapped lips and dry eyes at times. I was taking 30 mg for 10 months. Acne stayed away for 10 months after I finished the course, started coming back slowly. Now it is back, not a severe as before but still not great.

I am 31 year old female and had acne when I was younger. Managed to keep it under control with Yasmine over some 14 years but it came back pretty strongly after I got off of it which is when I went on accutane. I read that unfortunately for woman in their 30s the results of accutane usually don't stick.

I am currently taking Vitex. It seems to be managing my acne somewhat but not completely- still have bad days, but not life ruining. I have been on it for two months. Going to try pairing it with Estroblock and see what happens.

Amazing
Reviewed on August 11, 2016

I'm a 19 year old female and have been on Accutane for a bit over 3 months now and it is the best thing I have ever done. I used to have mild acne and everyday I would be waking up with 2 or 3 new huge pimples. After about 2 months my skin was pretty much clear and now it is perfect and I still have another 8 months left on it. I'm currently on 20mg a day and will be starting 40 mg a day in about a month. I've maybe had about 2 or 3 pimples (around that time of the month) since I started and they have only been tiny ones that have quickly cleared up. I haven't had any side effects that people warned me about, no dryness at all, not even on my lips. I had quite oily skin before and now it is just completely normal. I am so happy and so much more confident, I hardly ever wear makeup now when before I would not let anyone see me without it. Highly recommended it to anyone, can't believe it took me this long to try it. Changed my life.

**UPDATE**

I am now on my seventh month and everything is still going amazing. I've been on 40mg a day for the last two months and my skin is amazing i can't even begin to say how happy I am. Only issue I've had is my lips have been peeling slightly, they aren't dry or cracked or sore the skin just peels off, but I started using Blistex intensive repair and haven't had an issue since! Totally worth it

Just be patient
Reviewed on November 20, 2016

I remember when my acne got so bad that I didn't want to go outside anymore.. I didn't want anyone to see me. I tried essentially every single over the counter and prescription acne medication on the market. My dermatologist was an older woman who really didn't want me to take accutane because of the side effects that may come with it. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore, everything she had been prescribing me wasn't working. I went to a different dermatologist that took one look at me and said you need accutane. I think like all people that start accutane it's such a talked about pill you almost expect it to immediately start working. I started on fourty milligrams of accutane, then my face within the first month went crazy! My acne hit me with full force. I have never felt so low in my life I had around fifty cystic pimples on my face.. it felt almost impossible to deal with. My dermatologist bumped me up to 60 and then all the way up to 80. I was on accutane for about eight months and it wasn't until my sixth month of accutane that my face started really clearing. By the eighth month I had absolutely no pimples. None whatsoever. I mean it was the most life changing thing for me. I used to read these reviews and say accutane isn't going to work for me like it did for everyone else. My advice is just hang in there, seriously it will get better. I followed up accutane with retin-a and now you can't even tell I ever had acne, something I didn't think was possible. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

GIVE IT A TRY
Reviewed on November 15, 2016

Accutane seriously saved my life. I've only been on it for a month and my skin is COMPLETELY clear. Nothing else worked prior to accutane. As a 21 year old, I had given up hope that I would ever have clear skin. It is definitely a big commitment with all the doctors appointments and what not, but it is so worth it. Amazing product and I haven't had any major side effects from it. Some fatigue here and there but compared to the minocycline I was on before this, its nothing! Give it a try! It is not as bad as everyone makes it seem! Im sooo happy I tried it!