Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1948 reviews
Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Changed my life
Reviewed on April 23, 2015

Honestly, accutane is a miracle worker. Just a little over a year since I've been off of it and I feel amazing! It shrank my poors and got rid of my acne, completely. I'm left with just a few acne scars but that would happen either way (it's not because of the drug). I had chronic acne since the age of 11. Not even kidding you, it was awful! I was made fun of and it really lowered my self esteem and made me very insecure about myself. I started taking the drug when I was about 13 and know, at 15 my acne went away and stayed away. It's quite ironic because the people who used to make fun of me for it are now actually asking me for advice because they have bad acne now. I would recommend this to anyone. The only side effects I got were dry skin, but don't worry that's normal. That's the one side effect that almost everyone who takes accutane gets. Don't worry about it though, it's only temporary and if you just use moisturizer it's really not that hard to control. I took it for about 7 months with a dose of two pills per day. I was kind of disappointed at first because nothing seemed to happen for the first 4 months! But after that it really kicked in and I started clearing up like crazy! The one thing I would recommend to people though is that keep it up and don't stop taking it even if your skin looks clear. TAKE THE FULL DOSE PROVIDED BY YOUR DERMATOLOGIST!!! I cannot stress that enough. The acne will come back if you stop taking it while you are supposed to be taking it. Anyways it worked for me and it really changed my life! And for anyone that is scared or nervous, don't be. Just think of the future, how great it will be to have clear skin and NO PIMPLES!!!

Complete clear-up of acne but be mindful of side effects
Reviewed on April 22, 2015

I was on Accutane for 5 months after developing acne in my early twenties and it getting persistently worse until I decided at age 25 to do something about it. I tried antibiotics, skin gels and creams but nothing worked and I didn't want to go on the contraceptive pill. Accutane completely cleared up my acne, all I have left now is some scars and redness which i've been told will gradually dissappear as Accutane apparently continues to renew your skin after stopping taking it. My life is so much easier now not having to worry about covering up my bad skin with lots of make up and not having the soreness I would sometimes feel from the spots. However, for me, there were some serious drawbacks as it gave me extremely dry and sore eyes, lowered my immune system which meant I had a cold for 3 months in winter, chest tightness and occasional heart palpitations, rashes on my hands, oily hair and extremely dry lips. The side effects have almost gone now, my lips and eyes are a bit dry still but nowhere near as bad as when I was on it. I had to stop the medication at 5 months as I was starting to feel so run down with all the side effects and was getting concerned. If I could go back in time I would still have taken Accutane as acne-free skin trumps a few months bad side effects but just be aware of when the medication is getting too much for your body. I can't even remember the last time I had a spot!

Worst decision of my life
Reviewed on April 19, 2015

I took Amnesteem for two weeks and it completely destroyed my eyes by giving me tons of vitreous floaters. Eye floaters are permanent and there is no safe surgical procedure to get rid of them. It also gave me tinnitus (constant ringing in my ears). So I basically just ruined my life AND I still have acne.

Really great at clearing up acne
Reviewed on April 12, 2015

I have been on the higher end Canadian version of accutane called epuris. It's only considered more high end because you can take it with any sort of food, whereas, with the lower end ones you have to take it with a large meal and you're not supposed to drink milk with it.

I have been taking 40 mg daily of epuris for about two months now, though I take breaks when my hands or lips get too dry. My doctor told me it doesn't matter if you continuously take it, as long as you get the required mg/kg within the next 4-6 months. That way, I won't have as many side effects, which I appreciated. Initially, it did get a little bit worse so don't worry if that happens to you. I don't have severe acne, it might be considered moderate and it's only on my cheeks. Most of it is scarring and redness so it looks worse than it is. The initial flare up may be worse if you have more severe acne.

After a few days, I started to see it work. It dried my skin so the acne went away more quickly. A couple other flare ups happened but then they cleared up quickly and now it has been awhile since I've had one. I wash with cetaphil morning and night and use a tea tree/eucalyptus cream spot treatment. I think plain tea tree oil might be too harsh because your face gets very, very dry. It's also important to use lots of moisturizer and if possibly, get a prescription for hydrocortisone cream for your lips and hands. I have 1%.

The only really inconvenient side effect is the dry lips. I have dry lips in the first place so this made them 10x worse. Currently, my lips are cracked and scabbed at the corners. I kind of look like the joker but it's still better than acne. I'll power through it until the treatment is done. The acne clearing benefits outweigh not being able to wear lipstick for a few months. Hopefully this was helpful! I recommend it! Just make sure you don't take a super high dosage in too little time because the side effects may be too much to deal with. xx

45 year old female on accutane
Reviewed on April 6, 2015

I have been on accutane for 9 months (40mg/day first 6 months and 60mg/day last 3 months) and this is my last month. My cystic acne has cleared up very early on but I keep getting these little pimples. I have about 2 pimples a week although they go away within a day or two without leaving any marks, I am very discouraged. I was hoping I am 100% clear by now and I worry what is going to happen when I go off accutane. My derm said accutane is not as effective on middle age patients, what is your experience?

Avoid
Reviewed on March 29, 2015

I took a full course of Accutane over the course of 8 months. I got my dream come true because I got gorgeous skin!!....at a price. I have developed chronic dry eye syndrome that they directly relate to Accutane. My eyes hurt pretty much 99% of the time and I can no longer wear contacts. I have been off Accutane for one year, and my acne has returned right back to where it was prior to the tane. It's not worth it.

I hope anyone struggling with acne can get this medication
Reviewed on March 25, 2015

I never had acne through teens but when i was 23 i broke out along my jawline with deep acne. counting 30-40 at a time. It could have been stopping the depo BC shot because that was the only change in my life at the time.

I have been on accutane for 80 days @ 40mg 1/day and i weigh 130lbs. I have not experienced any serious dryness or joint pain like most people and i am much happier but I was never worried about depression.

before starting accutane i was very skeptical that it would work for me but i am very happy to say it has, and still is.

I also got chemical peels with acne extractions at least once a month which made my recovery much faster.

It saved me.
Reviewed on March 20, 2015

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

I've been off Accutane for about six months.

I am a 22-year old female who got severe adult onset acne when I turned 18. I had severe acne on my face, back, and shoulders.

I tried every OTC product and prescription product (including retin-A micro, birth control, etc. ) that my dermatologist recommended.

My dermatologist believes I have a hypersensitivity in my dermis to testosterone.

Finally, all that was left to try was Accutane.

I've been on two rounds of Accutane. First was 6 months, second (three months later) was 4 months.

My experience: After a couple weeks the drug stopped the oil production on my face. It was heaven. I had VERYYYY oily skin all through my teen years. My skin continued to break out for about a month, and then stopped. The breakouts that I had while on Accutane left the worst scars-be careful. I had no mood swings, in fact I was the happiest I'd been in years because my skin was clear and dry.

After the 6-month round ended, the oil returned in a few weeks. The acne did slightly on my face, but not my body. I used benzoyl peroxide and went back to my derm. He put me on another 4-month round. Now, six months after my second round, my skin is manageably oily. I probably use 3-5 oil blotting sheets per day, versus the 20+ I was using before Accutane.

My acne is 99% gone. I only breakout around my jawline now, so I use benzoyl peroxide there once a day to keep it clear. The rest of my face remains perfectly clear, and my back and shoulders are also completely healed except for the very occasional pimple on my back, which doesn't bother me whatsoever.

I do have more joint pain. I do have some unfortunate scarring from breakouts during my accutane treatment. But to me, these are SO WORTH IT!!! Accutane saved my life. I can face the world, I can go to school, I can have a boyfriend, I can socialize, I can leave my house confident...I can feel beautiful. I will never regret it.

So far so good
Reviewed on March 19, 2015

Im a 24 year old male, started getting acne when i was about 15. I took 1 20mg tablet of accutane twice a day for 6 months. Im about 95kgs so I think that is quite a low dosage. Thankfully I didn't really suffer from an initial breakout. Got most of the usual side effects: dry lips, nose bleeds, painful joints, red face but none of these where that bad and were certainly bearable. My face started clearing up after about a month, strangely my back acne and large pimples on my neck which had been gone for about a year and a half before i started the course then began to return. By about 3 months my face was totally clear with no new pimples. I finished the 6 months about 1 month ago and my face is still clear, the moderate back acne remained for the whole course but seems like it is starting to disappear now I am off the meds. Just got to wait now and see if they come back, not sure how long until I can be sure but for now I would defiantly recommend this drug. I played around with all kinds of creams and antibiotics for almost 10 years none of which had a positive effect for more than a month or so. My recommendations to anyone taking this drug would be to ask about taking a longer course of lower dosage, research seems to be showing that it is just as effective and you are much less likely to suffer from bad side effects. Also from my experience the less you do to your face the better, no face washes etc, I just wet my face when im in the shower and nothing else (think people are calling it the caveman regimen), my face never got flaky dry and I didn't ever use moisturizer. I think you are either going to get an initial breakout or your not and scrubbing your face won't change that, it'll only dry your face out. Cheers

Saviour
Reviewed on March 12, 2015

I don't know where to start...

So in october 2014, after 4-3 years of moderate acne, my skin started to severely breaking out. I don't just mean severe, I mean REALLY SEVERE: By November, my skin was covered in cysts all over my cheeks as well as lots of BIG whiteheads and big pimples on my temples and chin as well. I feel like something went really wrong inside my body, and I still haven't figured out why it happened. By 18th of november 2014, I started on Isotretinoin. And week by week my face gradually got better. (Go check my album and you'll see the improvements in a matter of a few months). This has been my saviour to my social life. I almost dropped out of high school because my face was in so bad condition. When I would sleep and wake up, I would find my pillow in blood because of my acne. Just smiling hurt and sometimes pus would come out of my face if I smiled.

FAST FORWARD: I am now ALMOST 4 months in and I currently have NO zits on my face, only one cyst that hurt on my neck/jawline. Other than that my skin is so smooth, but I have loads of scars. They're not deep, but I have small (noticeable) and lots of them on my cheeks as well as some on my temples. I have NO blackheads on my nose and the side effects, they have not been bad at all. Just REALLY dry lips, not too dry skin and sometimes my back would hurt a little, and from time to time my joints. But it is SOO worth it.

*BUT don't think this will happen to you, because we all react differently, so don't expect this drug to work magically on you as it has done so far with me. I also recommend NOT taking this drug if your case is not severe. I only took this drug as a last resort, and because my acne was out of control. I have myself started approaching my acne holistically, meaning I have made some changes regarding diet and lifestyle and skin care, because I really do believe that the root cause of acne can be controlled by taking good care of your body from within. I recommend this drug to severe cases of acne, because it is not something to play with if it can be controlled with something far less dangerous*

1st month - 3rd month: 40 Mg per day