Acanya Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

4.1/5 - 48 reviews

Brand: Acanya

Acanya Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Purified water, carbomer 980, propylene glycol, and potassium hydroxide.

Life saver
Reviewed on May 31, 2016

Miracle product.I have suffered from acne since I was 13. I have tried all of the over the counter creams and potions. I would categorize my acne as moderate; I have had several bad episodes of cystic breakouts. my deem got me this stuff so I start the Acanya right away . HUGE MIRACLE!!! Within 3 days all of the cystic acne that I had was going away/gone and my face was starting to clear overall.

Has gotten me 100% clear twice now
Reviewed on May 14, 2016

I've been put on Acanya twice, once in my late 20s, and again recently, in my early 30s. Both times, it's completely cleared my moderate cystic acne -- I would say 90% as effective as oral antibiotics for me (which also worked great, but are no longer a long-term feasibility, gut-wise). It got me to 100% clear the first time I used it, in combination with Differin 0.3% brand name gel (not generic), so much so that my doctor chalked the dramatic improvement up to hormonal change, and took me off of it after two years. My skin was fine until 4 months later, when breakouts slowly started creeping back in, and eventually came back full-force after about 7 months of discontinuing use. My dermatologist then put me on another topical for 4 months (Soolantra), which did nothing for me, and I asked to try Acanya again. Within two weeks, I saw a positive change. Within 2 months, I'm 100% clear again. I have also recently (in the last 3 weeks) begun using Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength peel pads in place of Differin at night for 2 days in a row, and Murad Rapid Spot Lightening Gel on the 3rd night to lighten hyperpigmentation, which has helped with fading old marks from my bad breakouts before I went back on the Acanya. I still get 1-2 hormonal pimple right before my period, but small, and usually not cystic like they used to be. This stuff works for me.

by Minaj318 on 07/18/2016 20:36
Has the Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength peel pads /Murad Rapid Spot Lightening Gel been helping fade your scars?
Not a long-lasting product
Reviewed on July 24, 2015

I started getting acne (very mild) at a pretty young age (10?) so we went to my derm and he suggested me to use acanya. I used it every night and for probably three years my skin was FLAWLESS. Not a single pimple and I believe it was because of this. I was very happy. I'm 14 now and recently, the beginning of this year, I guess you could say that my skin no longer reacts to it. I have been getting many new pimples (especially clusters on my lower cheeks and chin). It's only been getting worse and worse, and I still would use acanya at night. I have completely stopped using acanya and have been using Proactiv+ for the past two weeks. My skin is getting a lot better. I may try Epiduo soon. Overall, my acne was controlled with this but it didn't last. My face became immune. But, I do recommend that you try this.

Pretty good, just not completely on its own.
Reviewed on June 8, 2015

Story- Im a 16yo girl and used to have severe acne on my forehead for a couple years and have constantly been switching prescribed medications because they either didnt work, or my skin adapted to them. I have been using acanya in the morning, tazorac at night, and cera ve face products for about 6 months. Im using two products so that my skin cannot adapt to it so quickly. My skin has been slowly clearing up all through the months ,sometimes getting really bad (never worse than my original problem) , and sometimes really good. Now I will get only a pimple or two a week.

Cons of Acanya only- Had some major skin peeling, redness, and tightness occasionally and is pricey.

Good, not the best
Reviewed on May 29, 2015

It worked when I first got it but after a while I feel like it is just drying my skin and not helping anymore.

Works
Reviewed on January 24, 2015

I use this as a spot treatment, which I'm not sure you are supposed to do. Putting a layer of this on my skin would likely be too harsh, as I have always had that issue with topical treatments. I love this stuff! I had been using benzoyl peroxide 10% thinking that would do the trick, but when I use this instead my pimples go down in a matter of a day.

I didn't see change
Reviewed on September 3, 2014

I rarely break out I actually have very clear skin but when I do it's on my chest or one major blemish and I've been using this for over a month and noticed it stops the blemishes I get from forming more but I feel they stay and last longer. Again I only get a few blemishes but when I do they are large and painful and this only seemed to stop the process not actually help it go away. I have had the same blemishes on my chest for over a week now and they still aren't going away? Any suggestions would be great.

Effective, but drying
Reviewed on September 2, 2014

About four weeks ago, I was put on 100mg doxy 2x day, acanya in the daytime, and adapalene 0.3% gel at night time for my severe acne (cystic on jawline and deep acne along cheeks). I have noticed a great improvement of my acne, most of it is on the surface now, with most of my cystic acne gone or now surface acne. The only qualm I have about this product is that it is very drying, which I can attribute to both this and the other two prescriptions. I have started using a tiny amount of organic, unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil on top of this once it has dried so that I can return the lost moisture to my face and I find it is working well. This product is one you need to be patient with -- as is the case with all acne treatments. For having tried both clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide prior to no avail, I am impressed by how effective the two in tandem are!

by ArtyoneT on 01/27/2016 20:22
I have the same type of acne (cystic on jawline and deep acne along cheeks) and not much has worked to clear it up. I'm starting acanya today. Taking that in the morning and Retin-A at night. I hope it works. I'm concerned about the drying out issue. Seems to be common with this medication. I use coconut oil on my body but never on my face in fear of the oil making my acne worse. Since it worked for you I'll give it a try. Thanks for your review. It was very helpful.
Loved this: Takes two months to see results you want, but stick with it!
Reviewed on March 30, 2014

I think this product is a really good combo of a light benzol peroxide and clindamycin. I had pretty bad acne suddenly and was prescribed this to apply at night, and with a good moisturizer and simple face wash, this really helped clear me up. My derm has switched me to differin and tretinocin 0.025% (to apparently help me off of Doxy), and I hope it works as effectively as this cream.

Drastic Results Already
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

I started this using on my face about a week ago and have already noticed a change. I wash twice a day with cetaphil DermaControl wash and moisturize with the cetaphil DermaControl moisturizer. To fade the dark marks my dermatologist prescribed a Hydroquinone and fluocinolone acetonide.